Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2015 2:27:19 PM EDT
My latest article on my Michigan Firearms Examiner page is on how to master the thumbs forward handgun grip.

I posted this in "General" but realized it should probably go, so excuse the repost

This is a photo article because I've seen many shooters who don't understand the mechanics of the grip and just have the thumbs pointed forward without changing the angle of the wrist. I tried to make it as clear as I could.

How to master the thumbs forward handgun grip

"The thumbs forward grip started with competition shooters and spread to defensive pistol instructors and others who recognized the benefits of this once unorthodox style. The grip grew popular because it provides excellent recoil management that allows for faster and more accurate shooting.

To get the most from this technique it needs to be performed correctly. Some shooters simply point their thumbs forward without completely understanding the mechanics of the grip. The name aside, the key is really in the position of the support side wrist, not the thumbs, and once that is understood mastering the grip becomes easy."
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]
That's my grip too, but my thumbs stay below the slide. I don't even see how I could put my hands higher if I wanted to.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Subscribed for later reading
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#3]
OST
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's my grip too, but my thumbs stay below the slide. I don't even see how I could put my hands higher if I wanted to.
View Quote
If you're riding the safety on a 1911 it's hard to have your shooting thumb below the slide, if your right handed anyway.

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#5]
For later
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#6]
That grip didn't start with competition shooters. Sykes, Fairbain, and Applegate were advocating it (when not discussing one handed) back In the 40s.  

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:50:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Well done.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you're riding the safety on a 1911 it's hard to have your shooting thumb below the slide, if your right handed anyway.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the exception.

But obviously you can still point your support thumb towards the target.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Competition shooters did not develop thumbs forward.  

Also, there is no mention of the percentage of pressure applied by each hand.  The hand holding the grip should contribute around 30-40% of the pressure needed to maintain control.  This places the trigger finger under less tension for better trigger manipulation.  Wouldn't be a bad idea for you to watch/listen to Kyle DeFoor, TMac, Jason Falla, or another verifiable been there, done that for some more nuances that you are missing.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 11:21:26 PM EDT
[#10]
God gave you thumbs, use 'em!  You guys look ridiculous TRYING to shoot without using your thumbs!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top