Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2014 7:49:18 PM EDT
So, I live in Missouri and was looking at getting a Arizona non resident ccw. But I have since heard that since I am a "permanent" resident of Missouri, they wouldn't honor a Arizona non resident CCW permit since I didn't complete the 8 hour training course required by Missouri. Is there any truth that? I honestly don't want to pay $120 and sit in a classroom for 8 hours being taught shit I already know, then pay my Sheriffs department another $100 when I can get my CCW from Arizona in 45 minutes and pay less than $100 in total .
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So, I live in Missouri and was looking at getting a Arizona non resident ccw. But I have since heard
View Quote

Almost anything about firearms that starts with "I heard" is incorrect.

that since I am a "permanent" resident of Missouri, they wouldn't honor a Arizona non resident CCW permit since I didn't complete the 8 hour training course required by Missouri. Is there any truth that?
View Quote

AFAIK that is not correct.  Unless there has been a recent change in the law, MO residents are included in the "recognize all permits" portion of the MO licensing law.  Tons of people got out of state licenses early on due to the delays and costs, the DL endorsement, as well as the 23 year old age requirement.  The age requirement has since been lowered to 19 and folks figured out the trick of getting a state ID as well as DL and having the endorsement on the ID.

I honestly don't want to pay $120 and sit in a classroom for 8 hours being taught shit I already know, then pay my Sheriffs department another $100 when I can get my CCW from Arizona in 45 minutes and pay less than $100 in total .
View Quote

Taking a local class might be helpful at giving you some info that you might not already know, like the obscure "bus hijacking" law in MO.  But if you don't want to take it, it's your choice.

I've taken training classes in several states that I'm not even eligible to apply for a permit in, just because I wanted to pick up on any tidbits about that particular state.

Be advised that there are states (CO MI FL SC NH) that will only recognize resident permits, so you won't have recognition in those states.  The MO permit has excellent recognition/reciprocity if you travel at all.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Taking a local class might be helpful at giving you some info that you might not already know, like the obscure "bus hijacking" law in MO.  But if you don't want to take it, it's your choice.

I've taken training classes in several states that I'm not even eligible to apply for a permit in, just because I wanted to pick up on any tidbits about that particular state.

Be advised that there are states (CO MI FL SC NH) that will only recognize resident permits, so you won't have recognition in those states.  The MO permit has excellent recognition/reciprocity if you travel at all.
View Quote

Thank you Gamma for the very informative reply! You do make a good point about taking the classes to learn some little tidbits (since not everyone knows everything) and that is something that I would look into. But as far as taking it to get my CCW it doesnt interest me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:06:03 PM EDT
[#3]
This document explains that Missouri does accept non-resident CCW licenses. http://handgunlaw.us/states/missouri.pdf

I would consider yourself lucky to only have to pay what Missouri requires. Illinois is 16 hours which range about $200 plus an additional $150 to the Illinois State Police and another $60 to various agencies for fingerprinting and it takes anywhere between 90 and 120 days to get your permit issued.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top