Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2014 5:20:06 PM EDT
Just a review of the SIRT pistol and glockstore.com 3" laser target.  I think it's a great dry fire tool, and with the laser target, you eliminate the common concern of "aiming over the sights".  I chose the 3" laser target because it was so simple.  If you buy the 3 pack from Glockstore.com, it's also one of the cheapest options.  One caveat though, IT DOES NOT WORK WITH THE SIRT PISTOL as received from Next Level Training.  Luckily, the fine folks at AimTech, who manufacture the 3" laser targets, offer a service to modify the SIRT pistol laser to work with the target.  Fred really knew his stuff, and Aimtech's customer service was fantastic.  I received my modified SIRT in less than a week, and I've been setting up drills and scenarios since then.  Bonus feature, the 3" targets have an output jack that you can plug into certain range timers, which will allow you to practice draw time or dry fire entire IDPA/USPSA stages.  

I did recently see on Aimtech's store front, that they have a kit that is a magazine and laser barrel, with a reset mechanism built into the magazine, that can essentially turn any Glock (they also have a 1911 and M&P model), into a dry fire laser pistol with reset trigger.  It's fairly salty, price wise, but being able to train with your actual firearm is a huge plus.  I may consider that in the future.  

Other things to note, for people who may be interested:
- Aimtech is also rolling out a much larger laser target (~8.5"x11"), that I think would work great with an IDPA target (just cut out the 0 zone and place the target behind it)
- Brand new SIRT pistols are available from AimTech, modified to work with the targets
- The SIRT pistol does not allow actual Glock magazines to drop free (at least the red/red plastic frame and slide version does not).  I've seen that as a common complaint around the forums. SIRT mags do drop free.
- Aimtech modified SIRT pistols only pulse the laser.  So if you squeeze and hold the trigger, you get a quick laser pulse instead of the constant on that is normal.  That works at great for me because I use the setup to practice for IDPA/USPSA, so I wouldn't want a target to trigger if I sweep it with a constantly on laser.  For static, slow fire training, it may be a different story.

Also note, I do not work for Aimtech.  The above might sound like a sales pitch, but I'm just a very satisfied customer, and realized they aren't as well known as they deserve.  
Top Top