Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2013 5:54:42 PM EDT
When I go to the range I always do the same thing. Shoot a few, look at target. What are some things i could do that would help improve my shooting?
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#1]
What is wrong with your shooting? What are you trying to improve? Speed or accuracy?

Time limits. Shoot to a rythem. I use to have a mp3 file with beats and I would shoot on the beat, kind of like a metronome. I subscribe to a bunch of YouTube channels; jerry m, pat mack, PFC, etc...
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Does your range allow rapid fire, or double taps? Can you draw from a holster?
Failure to stop drills are challenging.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does your range allow rapid fire, or double taps? Can you draw from a holster?
Failure to stop drills are challenging.
View Quote

No to all of those. Looking to improve accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Dot Torture.

You can download targets from the interwebs.

Prepare for humbling.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Use small targets (2"or 1" circles).  Start at a distance that you know you can hit 100% and keep moving back.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 11:55:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 11:58:08 PM EDT
[#7]
If you aren't already doing so, dry fire with snap caps.  Practice all your fundamentals and don't disturb the sights during the trigger press.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:38:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 7:10:54 AM EDT
[#9]
If you are going to do Dry Firing a suggestion is to use a dime placed on the rear sight punch out and squeeze the trigger to the rear each time without the dime falling off. This will help you maintain smooth and consistant trigger manipulation. Also prevent from anticipation and jerking. Trigger manipulation is one of the most important aspects of shooting accurately. Don't get me wrong sight alignment is important but if you align the sights and anticipate or jerk the trigger you wont be as accurate. This along with your style of shooting or stance should be looked at by someone who knows how to instruct.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Couple years back I read a piece describing Clint Smith's 100 rounds in 100 minutes drill.  He uses a 9" paper plate in the chest region, a 9" plate to represent the pelvic region, and a 3x5 card for the CNS, And has a series of strings of fire including regular five round groups, non compliant threat simulation, yadda.  i use it, and I give it out to my students. I think the best way to find it is to search for clint smith, the drill, 100 rounds, or some combination
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's a good set of drills from Ben Stoeger.

http://benstoeger.com/joomla30/index.php/drills
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 5:17:13 AM EDT
[#12]
http://pistol-training.com/drills

Here's a bunch of drills.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 6:43:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://pistol-training.com/drills

Here's a bunch of drills.
View Quote

Thank you for the link. Really lots of great info there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top