Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2013 12:03:04 PM EDT
I was wanting to send my wife to an intermediate handgun class, and then later on her and I can do an advanced course. We live in central Texas, about an hour north of austin. Any suggestions on where to go?
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Csat, tricon, tom givens passes through regularly, shivworks usually at college station or houston.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I am occasionally running classes that you're looking for. Keep an eye on our schedule: Sheepdog Solutions. We usually train at Best of the West in Liberty Hill.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Paul is a good guy if you are around Houston/Conroe area...

If You are North of Austin check out DarcIndustries.us or request info about classes [email protected]

Or facebook at..  Darc Industries
Link Posted: 6/4/2013 10:40:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Tiger Valley in Waco.
Link Posted: 6/4/2013 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#6]
My girlfriend just took Stephen Pineaus Handgun I class and she really enjoyed it! She learned a lot and wants to take one of his handgun II classes!
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm looking for basic firearms classes in the DeWitt County area. I'm willing to drive up to around S.A. or Austin.

My goal is to get NRA Instructor certified and range Officer certified.

Just because I'm a vet so far I have learned just how little I really to know and my retirement time will NOT be on a porch...lol......

THanks....C-man

Link Posted: 6/22/2013 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#8]
The two best are CSAT and Trident Concepts.  Paul Howe is a former Delta and Jeff Gonzalez is a former SEAL.  Both have outstanding reputations and are widely known as excellent instructors.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are in Texas you are in luck, there's no shortage of good instructors.
Paul Howe is def a good dude.
Tiger valley has some good stuff.
M3 strategies with Stephen Pineau is probably the best bang for your buck
Not to mention a ton of instructors travel to Texas to teach. Frank Proctor, Pat Macnamara, Chris Costa, Magpul dynamics just to name a few.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:11:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Talk to Ken L. at  1 (210) 256-9627
In S.A.
Nra training Counselor, advanced Tactics, one of the best ive trained with for pistol or carbine , or to become
A Instructor
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:01:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I just took the NRA PPINTH and PPOTH from Ken L at NPSI in SA.  He is good people.l
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#12]
On Sunday i am taking the basic pistol choose from these guys in San Antonio.
https://www.facebook.com/TheDeadeyeMethod
I'll let ya know how it goes.

*update* Had a good 3 hour basic pistol course, fixed a flinching problem I was having and the instructor was very knowledgeable. $100, not bad for a private 3 hour lesson with a master class shooter/instructor.  Looking forward to taking their intermediate pistol.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#13]
In corpus I've found Spartan Defence, good ccw class and im taking their advanved pistol class in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am occasionally running classes that you're looking for. Keep an eye on our schedule: Sheepdog Solutions. We usually train at Best of the West in Liberty Hill.
View Quote

I can vouch for these guys.

Good instruction, good people.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#15]
CSAT for sure!!! Paul Howe teaches good fundamentals of shooting, which alot of "Instructors" have forgot
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Karl Rehn

http://www.krtraining.com/
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I highly recommend taking CSAT's Civilian Response to Active Shooter course after you have taken a few square range classes from some of the quality instructors already named.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 11:57:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I highly recommend taking CSAT's Civilian Response to Active Shooter course after you have taken a few square range classes from some of the quality instructors already named.
View Quote

I just took this class a few weeks ago and was very impressed.  How did your class go?  I think you were in the week after mine.

My favorite part of the class was the integration of various skill sets into muliple branches scenarios.  This is the kind of practice it is hard to get on the range.

For this class, the student needs to already have an advanced level of gun handling and strong basic marksmanship fundamentals.  Paul does the rest.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 8:50:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I just took this class a few weeks ago and was very impressed.  How did your class go?  I think you were in the week after mine.

My favorite part of the class was the integration of various skill sets into muliple branches scenarios.  This is the kind of practice it is hard to get on the range.

For this class, the student needs to already have an advanced level of gun handling and strong basic marksmanship fundamentals.  Paul does the rest.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ours was great! Well worth the time and money. Those 60yd shots down the hall were fun.

Some of us got to watch the unedited Panteo video for this class that was just released this week. We discussed some of the material that may be in the CRAS II, such as low light and force on force with role players.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I guarantee that Stephen Pineau with M3 strategies will not disappoint. Such an amazing class for any person with any skill level.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Mast Solutions
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Texas Elite Tactical Academy.
http://www.tetatx.us.com/

Link Posted: 11/28/2013 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Look at Hex Tactical.  They are LE in the Austin area, so pretty close.  M3 is also a great choice.  Just my experience, but like others have said, a lot of trainers in the area.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 1:41:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does Paul Howe not require his previous classes as pre-reqs?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:03:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, but you need to have some other quality classes under your belt first. You need to be fairly proficient and safe before this class. It is a low round count class but many of the shots are at high percentage hostage type targets. I would NOT recommend this class to a beginner or someone who hasn't attended at least one or two quality pistol courses.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No, but you need to have some other quality classes under your belt first. You need to be fairly proficient and safe before this class. It is a low round count class but many of the shots are at high percentage hostage type targets. I would NOT recommend this class to a beginner or someone who hasn't attended at least one or two quality pistol courses.
View Quote

Agree completely. To be honest, the CRAS course is one of the most enjoyable and practical real world classes I've seen.  A real innovation in the market.  

BUT,

You must be 100% on your safe gun handling and muzzle awareness or you shouldn't take it until you are.

AND

To get the most out of it, you need a very high level of marksmanship basics.  You'll be shooting targets from 5 yards to 65 yards.  The close ones are reduced profile and hostage targets so you must be able to precisely deliver hits.  You don't need to be an IPSC master on speed, but you need to be able to deliver hits on demand.  It is not a run and gun class.  The pressure is entirely internally provided.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I'm looking for basic firearms classes in the DeWitt County area. I'm willing to drive up to around S.A. or Austin.

My goal is to get NRA Instructor certified and range Officer certified.

Just because I'm a vet so far I have learned just how little I really to know and my retirement time will NOT be on a porch...lol......

THanks....C-man  
View Quote

You can get the NRA RSO certification through an online class.  The NRA Basic Pistol Instructor class is not particularly difficult, in my class, we had several people who were not familiar with all types of pistols (particularly single action revolvers), and I had to coach one other student on his handgun shooting to get him to pass the shooting qualification part.  Definitely take a dedicated handgun shooting course from someone (the NRA class is intended for "never touched a firearm before", so is largely focused on topics other than just shooting, such as safe handling and storage, how the different action types work, cleaning, etc, which are important, but only an hour or two of the class is actually about how to shoot well, they'll advise additional training to really become proficient).

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:50:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Tiger Valley is really great. I have taken the pistol and carbine courses there and they did not disappoint. A plus is that T.J. is a member here.

Jim
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Patriot Protection in Plano, TX is hard to beat.

They have an indoor facility and offer simunitions-type training to civilians, LEO, and military.  The training is as real as it gets and you actually learn to engage an attacker instead of paper.  If you really want to go hardcore, you can do force on force training.

Email [email protected] for a hookup.

Link Posted: 5/9/2014 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Lee Vernon http://tacticalfirearmstrainingaustin.com/

He is a really good squared away instructor.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 9:30:15 PM EDT
[#32]
M3 with Stephan was indeed a very nice class.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top