Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2016 2:38:45 PM EDT
I've always understood it to mean a surgical abdomen. Of course, there are medical causes of acute abdominal pain but usually when someone refers to an acute abdomen they are talking the surgical causes.  
Amiright?  

Any recent articles on the topic are appreciated or any textbook chapters.

I will post up one or two and I am able over the next few weeks.

Link Posted: 3/10/2016 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By EvanWilliams:
I've always understood it to mean a surgical abdomen. Of course, there are medical causes of acute abdominal pain but usually when someone refers to an acute abdomen they are talking the surgical causes.  
Amiright?  

Any recent articles on the topic are appreciated or any textbook chapters.

I will post up one or two and I am able over the next few weeks.

View Quote

yes.  they need surgery
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I concur.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea ive always heard acute ABD as needs surgery, and hot ABD means bleeding, which is also surgery lol
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 8:06:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AGW] [#4]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AGW:
I've always thought it referred to undifferentiated pt with a cc of acute onset abd pain.  Emphasis on undifferentiated.  Then it becomes a surgical abdomen, an upper or lower GI bleed, gastritis, etc.
View Quote

This is the most correct.
It is acute abdominal pain. The problem is, people in surgery and anesthesia use it almost interchangeably with surgical abdomen.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:00:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:01:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I see acute abdomen and surgical abdomen as being essentially synonymous.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:52:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Justa_TXguy:

View Quote

That's the way many of us use it but AGW is right on.
Acute abdominal pain is just that. A subset of them will be surgical, some will be medical (crack belly, sickle cell) some will be no one knows what in the world and goes home after work up.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
Acute belly/abdomen = peritonitis

And that is, in fact, a surgical abdomen.

Ask any surgeon.
View Quote

Ask any surgeon? LOL
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Ask any surgeon.
View Quote

OK, let's roll with Acute abdomen is that  abdominal pain with signs of peritoneal irritation
Rebound etc

Thst is the commit usage for sure.

It seems I'm conflating acute abdomen with acute abdominal pain

Now, acute abdominal pain  is for sure not always surgical in nature.

Thanks for rep,ies

Keep em coming

I'm learning.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By j0hn:

Ask any surgeon? LOL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By j0hn:

Ask any surgeon.

Ask any surgeon? LOL

In the tech forums we don't generally aim for the edgy response
We all forget sometimes
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:23:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 9:43:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Acute abdominal pain is just that. A subset of them will be surgical, some will be medical (crack belly, sickle cell) some will be no one knows what in the world and goes home after work up.

View All Quotes

The last of those was one I experienced. We were camping, and I spent the night awake. The only position of comfort was curled up, resting on elbows and knees. It wasn't transient gas pain, and wasn't like any degree of abdominal pain I'd had before. Guarding, point & rebound, some flank aching... I was convinced it was a kidney stone, gallbladder, or appendix, as it persisted and worsened for 6-8 hours. Finally, the next morning, I swallowed my pride and went to the ER.

Labs were stone cold normal. The urinalysis was also normal - no blood, no pus. The ER doc and I decided to just treat it conservatively, not run through any imaging, shrug at the cause, and see if it happened again.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Azygos:

The last of those was one I experienced. We were camping, and I spent the night awake. The only position of comfort was curled up, resting on elbows and knees. It wasn't transient gas pain, and wasn't like any degree of abdominal pain I'd had before. Guarding, point & rebound, some flank aching... I was convinced it was a kidney stone, gallbladder, or appendix, as it persisted and worsened for 6-8 hours. Finally, the next morning, I swallowed my pride and went to the ER.

Labs were stone cold normal. The urinalysis was also normal - no blood, no pus. The ER doc and I decided to just treat it conservatively, not run through any imaging, shrug at the cause, and see if it happened again.
View All Quotes

Interesting.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Interesting.
View All Quotes

Interesting.

Best guess was some weird presentation of mesenteric lymphadenitis.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I turned in my educational paper on the acute abdomen.  It's being edited and prettied up.
Nurses have varied backgrounds.  For some, it may not be informative, for others, it might teach them a thing or two.  

These people aren't diagnosing, so focused more on event recognition and avoiding aspiration and fluid management in the perioperative period.  

I'll let y'all know how it turns out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top