Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2014 9:48:45 AM EDT
I have a RRA mid lenght hbar upper and a fixed stock lower that in gonna dedicate for iron sight rifle marksmanship style shooting. Love the way the gun shoots and handles with the web sling and 20rnd mags but think the factory style grip just isint siting right for nice smooth trigger reach. Anyone have any suggestions for a replacement. I have others lowers with miad grips and k grips but wandering if there is a go to grip for this style.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 12:09:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Not realy worried about service rifle rules just hitting x's . I'm ok with the a2 just wandering if I could improve my game with something. I think I overthink it to much and it's not a real crutch. I guess if I did replace it and then got into shooting cmp style events I would just be screwing myself a bit. I think I might just get another miad and mess with the replaceable inserts a bit.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#2]
It's not so much the rules that Pinhooker is talking about, it's the fact that there are so many people shooting perfect to near perfect scores continually without all the fancy parts.  Put whatever grip suits you the best, but remember that you shouldn't be gripping so tight anyway.  Look up No Pulse Sling and go from there.  I hated continually reconfiguring my leather Turner Saddlery sling between rounds to do this.  Now they use Biothane which is like a vehicles serpentine belt and will not stretch out like leather.  You can configure it and leave the cuff clamped around your bicep and ready to connect to the front swivel only.  Rock solid.  In fact you need to force the rifle into position.  All this works great if you are using a shooting jacket and glove.  

Barrel, trigger, free float tube, and NM sights, proper ammo, and good repetitious skill is the formula.  

No Pulse
sling set up
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#3]
At best I'm a 95% shooter at 600 yards with an SR, but I'll admit that the A2 isn't the most comfortable grip. I think something like an overmolded A2 with a beaver tail would be pretty comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#4]
It sounds like you are going to have to experiment what works for you.
Typically the new style grips that have a little more vertical of angle (from lower) are for more front toward enemy type shooting and elbow tucked into side.

Target shooters usually have elbow out (from side) to form pocket in shoulder (strange they are not worried about return fire from paper targets)
The "A1" and "A2" type grips have that less "vertical" angle for that type of shooting.

So if you are trying to shoot long range with your elbow tucked into your side this might be awkward (with A1.A2 grip)
If you have a Magpull K2 grip and your elbow is away from your side that might feel just as awkward.

Most competitors I have meet at service rifle matches have been very nice to share info (AFTER THE MATCH) and let people test position their rifles and such to see if it would make a difference for the shooting they do.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#5]
try a web site for target shooters like www.Sinclair or SinclairInt

with specialty sports like long range shooting (just like AR's) you can spend cubic yards of cash.
you would like to find something you like before buying 6 different grips; that gets spendy fast.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 12:01:51 AM EDT
[#6]
In service rifle competition, only the A2 and A1 grip are legal. I'd say 99.9 use the standard A2 grip. I like the A1 because it doesn't have that finger notch.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Sierra Precision makes a pretty nice grip.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 12:10:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys I think I'm gonna mess around with it and see if I like the bevertail grip for the rifle. I have a lot of fun shooting this way and I guess I have nothing but time to try to come up with a setup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top