Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2009 5:03:31 PM EDT
All,

I am a lifelong shooter looking to get involved in Competition shooting.  Most of my background is military and tactical shooting with a little bullseye competition in the Marine Corps.  

What are the top 10 do's and don't dos for a new IDPA/IPSC Shooter?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 5:09:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Do listen to the RSO

Do ask the RSO/Other shooters if you have any questions about anything(scoring, C.O.F.)

Don't care how other people are shooting and thier scores

Don't show up expecting to get the highest score in your division

Link Posted: 10/18/2009 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Shoot your first match painfully slowly.  Everyone wants to make sure you are safe, no one cares about how fast you can shoot.
Tell the Range Master that its your first match and asked to be paired with an experienced shooter.
Always be aware of your muzzle and trigger finger. I have seen a lot of habits from the Mil/Leo world that will get you DQ'ed at a match
Points are more important than speed
You have to aim on ever target, no matter how close they are, there is always time to see your sights although is may be very quick sight picture
It always takes longer to reshoot at steel than it will take to aim at it in the first place
Ask questions about everything. but don't ask the person that is about to shoot or just shot.
Tape targets and reset steel, help as much as you can.

Don't get wrapped up in the speed that others are shooting, shoot only as fast as you can see your sights
Don't have your finger in the trigger guard when doing reloads, moving or clearing jams
don't run with your gun up or down, just point it straight ahead
Don't double tap targets.
Don't be spastic or make crazy wild moves, try to be smooth. don't do something the RO wouldn't expect
Don't bend over to pick up mags until you have holstered a clear gun.
don't be in a rush to holster. when you finish shooting look at your targets, then do what the RO says
Don't flip the round in the air at unload show clear, and try to grab it,  If you sweep yourself, youo will be DQ'ed

Link Posted: 10/18/2009 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Learn the commands
Help set the match up and /or tear it down
Smooth is fast, to be smooth go slow.
Dry fire on the move.  
Front sight,front sight front sight
Practice reloading over and over and over
Drive the pistol
STI (pistols)
David Dawson (smithy/parts)
Dillon presses.

Thats my top ten

Link Posted: 10/19/2009 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 2:00:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay, a lot of good points here and very helpful as well.  I appreciate it.

From watching some of these videos on the intartubes it looks fairly straightforward but I am sure that there are some details and fine points that I am not picking up on yet.

I never expect to do well in any form of competition when it is my "1st" time.  I'll be very surprised if I don't forget how to shoot altogether in my first run.  That being said I am fully prepared to see some truly great shooters from "the civilian side" really put on a great show.  

From what I am seeing from the videos accuracy over speed looks like the golden rule, which will be huge for me to remember, as a Marine I have an in born tendency to go into full on trigger down, death blossom mode and just start blowing rounds into targets like it's the thing to do.  This looks to be much more focused.

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#6]
You may want to go and watch a match before competing.

Most USPSA clubs are full of friendly helpful people.

When you do start remember you are only competing with yourself.
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#7]
1. Be safe
2. Brass, patch and reset steel.
3. Don't be a douchebag (round-flipping, claiming that IPSC/IDPA isn't 'tactical' enough, calling people gamers etc. etc.)

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do listen to the RSO
Do ask the RSO/Other shooters if you have any questions about anything(scoring, C.O.F.)

^^^ Do listen to Timpryor
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Okay, a lot of good points here and very helpful as well.  I appreciate it.

From watching some of these videos on the intartubes it looks fairly straightforward but I am sure that there are some details and fine points that I am not picking up on yet.

I never expect to do well in any form of competition when it is my "1st" time.  I'll be very surprised if I don't forget how to shoot altogether in my first run.  That being said I am fully prepared to see some truly great shooters from "the civilian side" really put on a great show.  

From what I am seeing from the videos accuracy over speed looks like the golden rule, which will be huge for me to remember, as a Marine I have an in born tendency to go into full on trigger down, death blossom mode and just start blowing rounds into targets like it's the thing to do.  This looks to be much more focused.

You will hear quite often "You can not lose fast enough" basically it means... better to run a course in 20 seconds with 0 points down, then to run it in 8 seconds and be 30+ points down which would be a scored time of 8secs+30PD= 23 second time   its +1/2 seconds for every PD.  And other errors cost even more time... miss a steel target even once or it doesnt fall...  =5 PD  so 1/2 sec of rushing can cost you 2.5secs of penalty.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Add in be safe and have fun and you'll be well set.

We have a lot of new folks that come out to club matches and unfortunately are discouraged/quit when they're faced with the REAL difficulty of USPSA/IPSC.  They see folks that have been doing the sport for a while make it look easy, until they do it and it's hard.  So...with all that Devil Dog, realize that what we do is hard and it'll make life easy from there.

I'm sure you're up to the challenge.  Anything you need assistance with, just say the word and you got it.

Rich
82nd ABN DIV
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Make sure you understand the 180 degree rule.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Please Help the club by setting up and/or tear down..
Clean your mags, Glock Mags are easier to clean with the right tool.
Watch and learn from the RO.
Dryfiredryfire,dryfire.

Link Posted: 2/24/2010 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#14]
"accuracy over speed"

From what I've seen first hand is a lot of people run between firing points. They don't walk  Another thing that bothers me is having to get down on the ground for some firing points. It's not something I can do safely as a result of a fall and since I can't do it safely I don't and won't do it. Still it doesn't seem right to be  penalized for not doing something that is unsafe for this particular shooter.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 10:48:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
"accuracy over speed"

Another thing that bothers me is having to get down on the ground for some firing points. It's not something I can do safely as a result of a fall and since I can't do it safely I don't and won't do it. Still it doesn't seem right to be  penalized for not doing something that is unsafe for this particular shooter.

That's just the way it is.  Otherwise people will be gaming their doctors notes like they game the rule book.

Watch some videos of Rob Letham.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2010 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
1. Be safe
2. Brass, patch and reset steel.
3. Don't be a douchebag (round-flipping, claiming that IPSC/IDPA isn't 'tactical' enough, calling people gamers etc. etc.)

I like this, this is excellent advice.

Watch what the good shooters are doing, If those good shooters offer you advice, listen.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Speed. While people say it's not important we all know it is.Its a primary factor in scoring.
If accuracy was inportant then Virigina count would be the standard. The Comstock spray and pray would not be allowed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 10:18:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Speed. While people say it's not important we all know it is.Its a primary factor in scoring.
If accuracy was inportant then Virigina count would be the standard. The Comstock spray and pray would not be allowed.

Speed and accuracy are both vitally important. The exact CoF dictates whether either has a significant edge over the other.

Accuracy is the primary concern for a beginning shooter. You have to be able to make the hits first. If you can't even get all alphas going slow, what makes you think you can if you go faster?

For a shooter who is completely new to practical pistol competition, speed should not even enter their mind for the first several matches. Safety is absolutely paramount; in adjusting to a new set of circumstances involving gun handling that might be unfamiliar to the shooter, speed is a huge enemy. Every single new shooter I have seen DQ'ed has been due to the involvement of too much speed - whether jumping the gun before actually being told to LAMR or by moving around corners too fast and breaking 180.

After that comes accuracy. It is only after you can both be subconsciously safe and make perfect hits that you can begin to focus on adding the speed.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 9:56:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Add in be safe and have fun and you'll be well set.

We have a lot of new folks that come out to club matches and unfortunately are discouraged/quit when they're faced with the REAL difficulty of USPSA/IPSC.  They see folks that have been doing the sport for a while make it look easy, until they do it and it's hard.  So...with all that Devil Dog, realize that what we do is hard and it'll make life easy from there.

I'm sure you're up to the challenge.  Anything you need assistance with, just say the word and you got it.

Rich
82nd ABN DIV

I know. I was at my second match and was told to watch a particular shooter. A Grand Master. Well by the time I turned my head he was done.

Link Posted: 8/22/2011 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#20]
1.Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast.
2. Safety
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#21]
scratch that reverse it haha

Quoted:
1.Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast.
2. Safety

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 8:25:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm going to be participating in my first match this weekend.  What do you mean by round flipping?  Is 3 mags fine for my first time?
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 1:43:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I think they are talking about the shooters that agressively extract the rounds with gun sideways so it flips up in the air and then they can catch it. Doesnt bother me but probably not a good idea for a new shooter.

Which division will you be shooting in? what kind of gun is it?

3 is good 5 total is better if you are shooting production or single stack.
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 3:32:22 AM EDT
[#24]
This is a great thread. Im pretty new to all of this as well so I find it helpful too, but this is what ive learned so far:

1. Find somebody that is very experienced to practice with before you go shoot the match. Learn how the match is ran from them. Plus you can learn what a lot of the "common mistakes" are from them. This helped me more than anything.

2. Show up with a mindset of learning from the ground up.

3. Make friends and listen to them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Really good info. Anyone know where and when I could participate in the northern VA area?
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 4:05:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm going to be participating in my first match this weekend.  What do you mean by round flipping?  Is 3 mags fine for my first time?

I, too, would be curious to know what 'round-flipping' means.

Are you talking about deliberately downloading the capacity of a mag? If so, isn't that a "failure to do right"?

Lancair, how about emptying out your IM inbox? It's full.

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I think they are talking about people who forcefully eject the round straight up and catch(or attempt to catch) it when they are done with the stage.

I don't have a issue with it but it is a bit of showing off and very funny when they miss it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Watch the other shooters. You will learn something, whether it is good or bad.

If you're going to do something different, it is polite to warn the RSO. For instance, if the CoF calls for being seated, but you can stand for some targets and everyone before you has remained seated, you should probably let them know. If everyone is running to the left side first, but you want to go to the right side, just mention that you're starting on the right side. Keeps them from being surprised, as they have to chase you.

Develop a plan and stick to it.

You're going to miss steel, make that part of the plan or have a contingency.

The stages that you do best in are the ones that feel effortless and slow where you don't lose focus. If you are pushing to go faster, you will do worse. Be smooth and smooth will eventually be faster.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#29]
As being a "round flipper" i also want to give some input regarding this topic:

I was always doing it since I started shooting IPSC. I don't care what other people say, if I catch it's ok, if not, I don't care and let the round fall on the ground. never risked a DQ with this or was even close to it. Also never had an RO who disliked it. I just want to point out, that if you have the skill for this, do it, if not, don't do it.

I am also an active RO and most of the time you know after some time on the range the people, who are capable of stuff like this or not. and so the people will act. If there are ROs who don't like this... well... then they forgot that they are there for ensuring safety and rule abidance. not to judge how a shooter is unloading his gun. if a shooter will practice this and a mistake leads to sweeping (or whatever it will be), well it's the shooters fault. he gets an DQ for safety violation, not because the RO didn't like his unloading anyways.

I hope you all get my point :)

Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Never put an unloaded/partially loaded mag back in a mag pouch.

There is nothing like smoking in a sub 1 sec reload only to have to do it again three rounds later because you "temporarily" stashed it in a pouch.

Used mags go in pockets, not pouches.

Clean any mag that hits the dirt.

See what you need to see to make the shot.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 4:48:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Really good info. Anyone know where and when I could participate in the northern VA area?
View Quote

The USPSA and IDPA have great websites that will help you find your local clubs and get the match info.    They will welcome a new shooter.  SOme will waive the match fee of 5-20 dollars for a first timer.  Once you find a match, there will be a contact listed. Call/email that person to confirm match will be as scheduled.  Show up 20 minutes early, sign in and remind them you are a new shooter.  Have fun
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 4:57:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Do- go to pistol-training.com

Do- go to brian enos forums.

That's pretty much it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 4:59:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Holy active topics zombie post!
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 5:26:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Do listen to the RSODo ask the RSO/Other shooters if you have any questions about anything(scoring, C.O.F.)

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2014 11:27:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is one exception: be very wary of advice given by shooters who end up near the bottom of the running, especially when they are consistently at the bottom.

I've seen more than a few newbies start down the wrong path after listening to poor advice from some of the authoritative-sounding know-it-all types that actually don't know what they are talking about in the least.

Point being - if somebody is giving forth all kinds of advice on shooting a particular sport, but they themselves can't perform worth a damn, take note. This isn't to say that you should only take advice from the most amazing shooters, but rather just to be cautious of the "know-it-alls" that really don't know anything. There are always a few around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top