Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2016 5:58:34 PM EDT

For all of the critics of AAR's ("that was not an AAR, not an advertisement,") I've attempted to keep this just to the facts and my observations.

I have taken multiple classes for handgun, rifle, shotgun, etc with Max Velocity Tactical (MVT) as well as other local trainers.  The FoF class built upon certain prerequisite training to ensure everyone was at a minimum level of competency.  Everyone had to have completed a course that covers the basics ("Combat Team Tactics" (CTT) - ability to run an AR-15, react/return fire, team fire and movement, basic understanding of small unit tactics put into practice) with a preference for a everyone to have taken a slightly more advanced course (Combat Patrol (CP) - more SUT put into action (F&M, team tactics/movement, squad level attacks, hasty ambushes, etc).  So, this was not an entry level carbine manipulation course.

The selected system was UTM (Ultimate Training Munitions), which utilizes a very clever system to drop in a bolt into your existing AR (or other weapons) and fire their ammunition.  We used "man marker rounds" that shoot a wax projectile at something like 350-400fps that leaves a red or blue mark when hit.  The cool part was it was MY rifle, MY magazines, so I got to train with MY stuff.  The UTM system itself is very cool, basically a rimfire bolt and a specialized round that travels up to around 50Y.  If you are interested, UTM's page has some videos about how it works and also shows the safety equipment required, etc.

A high level overview of the two day Force on Force (FoF) class:

Day 1 – team formation, intro to UTM gear/rounds, safety briefing, shake-down to ensure no live rounds, pokey things, etc, and weapon function check.  We first moved into break contact drills that were very much like some of the prerequisite class drills with pop-up targets, but with a real opposing force shooting at us.  These consisted of various scenarios (front/side/2-4 enemy/etc).

This was the "knock the rust off” period to remember what to do, where to move, communication, etc.  This was also the learning period about finding and identifying the enemy, how the rounds would fly, cover vs. concealment, etc.  Most interesting to me was that while there was no "crack" of live rounds coming at you, you could definitely tell you were being shot (or shot at).  The rounds made a noticeable whizzing sound as they flew past.  It was snowing/raining, so we all had rain gear on, which typically made a loud "fwack" sound when hit. It was fun to play the "opposing force" as in order to simulate a bit more chaos/noise (UTM's are pretty quiet/no ear-pro required), we were told to yell and fire (think "Wolverines!" and the like).

Day 2 – this was the most fun, sobering, and educational portion of the training.  We broke into two 8-man teams and performed "blue vs. red” using objectives to hold and capture.  This required squad leaders, team leaders, planning, execution.  We were given maps, locations of position to assault and defend, roughly an hour max time per exercise.  We moved to several locations over the 100 acre training facility, so the ability to "game" the exercise was limited by new terrain and new objectives (and new squad leaders).

Compared to other training courses, FoF differed in several ways.  First, you are actually being shot at and can "die" and have to lay there until end-ex (i.e. you want to be careful).  Second, the training cadre were NOT there to tell you what to do, correct you, guide you, etc, but only as referees.  We were allowed to make poor plans, execute them, and learn lessons from them.  After each exercise, the cadre provided an AAR from each side (they typically followed each "assault team" to the objective).  Third differentiation - team and squad leaders were required as there was no cadre taking that role for us.  People had to step up into leadership roles and make decisions and lead.  Aside from the tactical portion and what was learned there, this was a great secondary benefit of the course - the opportunity to lead your team/squad and succeed or fail.

Summary of lessons learned:

1.  Make sure you know how to react/return fire from any direction as a team/squad.

2.  Terrain features.  You quickly learn what works and what does not as a micro-terrain feature with projectiles flying at you (low spots in ground, etc)

a. The UTM rounds hurt just enough that you don’t want to be hit by them...you "could" game it and run right through them, but you'd be "dead" in the exercise and likely have bruise

3.  Team communication is critical.  This was one of the biggest issues we ran into.  Under UTM masks (and certainly under live rounds), yelling and hearing the yells is difficult, so hand signals are key, as is looking for those hand signals from your teammates.  Too many errors over the weekend we encountered were simply due to poor or lack of communication.  This leads to split up teams, stalling on the objective, poorly executed assaults, and even some blue-on-blue "casualties."

4.  Observation of flanks/periphery.  There were several occasions where the fire and movement went well (flanking, etc), but once under fire, one tends to focus solely on the objective vs. the other team using the same movements.  Multiple times we were able to flank without being seen but were also flanked without seeing the other team.  Keep alert and not only focused on the objective ("keep your head out of the gun”).

5.  Listen to your team/squad leader and "don’t do random."  Follow your plan and listen to your leader.

6.  Target Identification – there were several blue-on-blue incidents.  in fact at one point, we listened to an entire firefight and wondering if they were shooting at us (too far out), but it was two squads on the other team killing each other.  This sounds funny, but target ID is very difficult, particularly in a heavily wooded environment.  No one was wearing "good guy” and "bad guy” outfits.  You have to be able to know your team, ID them, think/process before pulling the trigger.

7.  Fitness – make sure you are following and maintaining a fitness plan.

8.  The UTM rounds/bolts worked extremely well.  Day 1 was wet snow and I had one malfunction (double feed), otherwise, 100%.  This appears to be a very well vetted/tested system.  If you are into nerdy "how things work" stuff, go check their stuff out.  I was very impressed with the UTM bolt/ammo system.

In summary, of all the courses taken, I definitely learned the most from the FoF class.  The other classes taken were the prerequisites, and this was the "exam” in a way as you have to put everything learned prior into action.  Highly recommend.

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 7:55:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Good review. That class is definitely next on the list.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#2]
It was an excellent class. Definitely one of those that you can put your skills to the test- land nav and map reading, shooting, movement, team tactics, etc.

I will be going back again, either in June or October, hopefully BOTH. :)

http://www.maxvelocitytactical.com/2016/03/the-day-of-reckoning-by-robert-henry/

Day of Reckoning
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Great AAR.  

I'm definitely looking forward to this class here in Texas next year.  Seems like a great "next step" after moving off the square range and getting into team tactics.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top