Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2015 2:36:36 AM EDT
Finally found a minute to drop an AAR on in here regarding the Green Eye Tactical course I attended last weekend. The class was held at a training facility near Kansas City, MO that provided an adequate enviornment to conduct this type of course, offering both a KD flat range as well as a multi-room shoothouse.

Being somewhat familiar with Eric prior to the course and having a mutual friend that had trained with Eric several times in the past, I decided to contact him and arrange a course. I mention this for anyone interested in one of Green Eye Tactical's courses that may be considering having him come to your local facility; Eric couldn't have been easier to deal with in the planning process. He was responsive, flexible, and made the process probably the easiest course I've ever arranged (roughly a dozen).

Discussing the course with Eric ahead of time, I had concerns about what experience level was required of the students attending, so I was fairly meticulous in inviting only people I could vouch for in terms of safe weapons handling and average or above marksmanship capability. Discussing it with Eric however, he told me that he typically conducts it as a "no prerequisites" course. The time he spends working with the class on fundamentals before moving off of the flat range, regardless of students experience level, allows him to work with and assess the students and class as a whole before ever moving into the house for dry runs. If you have any question on this I highly encourage you to reach out to Eric, and don't rely on my brief and inadequate synopsis of his methodology.

If you're familiar with Green Eye Tactical then you're familiar with Eric's background. That means different things to different people, but to me it is an assurance that the instructor I'm learning from comes from a pedigree where perfection and mastery of basic fundamental at a hyper efficient level is the norm. That leaves little question to me about what I'm learning and it's efficiency by comparison, as I know it's been assessed and developed ad infinitium.

That aspect was very evident in Eric's class. Everything we did had a reason and it all drove towards a focused end goal; being extremely proficient at fundamental tasks that led to extreme efficiency... movement, decision making, fundamentals of marksmanship, etc. Although not specifically stated, one aspect I appreciated was that no illusion was cast that by the end of three days we'd be highly trained in all aspects of the presented material. As Eric put it, there's no "easy button". The key to high proficiency starts with putting the time in.

I don't want to go to in depth with a play by play of the course, as it may look slightly different for each class. We started off on the flat range discussing basic fundamentals of marksmanship - stance, body mechanics, sight alignment, trigger press, etc. All of these things were simultaneously tied to how they applied to fighting with a firearm, be it as a singleton or in a paired/team based enviornment. Following that we moved to the shoothouse to begin covering the basic ground work of fighting inside of a structure. After some discussion we moved into conducting 1 and 2 man dry walk throughs. This was followed by live fire walk throughs. Eric immediately started adding realistic layers to this by incorporating both shoot and no shoot targets, many of which were left for us to discern. By this I mean rather than stating "you shot a no shoot target", he would ask why a student chose to shoot the target he did. In some cases there wasn't a right or wrong answer, with the overarching point being whether there was a sound decision making process involved.

Following that we moved into 3 and 4 man. Same format - dry fire walk throughs followed by live fire. After each run targets would be assessed for shot placement and any corrections noted. This progressed throughout the course, with additional layers being added only after competency was demonstrated.

I highly recommend this course to anyone considering a class of this nature. This was not at all my first CQB course, but definitely the best in terms of instructor knowledge, experience, and ability to easily relay information and cover the ciriculumn in a manner that even the new guys in the course were able to easily pick up, comprehend, and apply in a small team enviornment.

Eric has also done an extended series of videos on his YouTube channel that offer a tremendous amount of information and are worth the time to check out. I'm definitely planning to attend another Green Eye Tactical course in the future.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:31:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Great review. I've met Eric and can confirm your assessment of his pedigree and his attitude to training.

He's the real deal and a you won't find better quality instruction or instructor.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:21:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Agree in your description of Eric. The real deal.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:58:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I've taken two classes with Eric of G.E.T.

He's laid back and open to what the students want to learn.
I just wish I had more time to train with him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top