Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2015 2:18:46 PM EDT
I hope you will indulge me on this introspective AAR. If you want bullet points on the curriculum, feel free to read them under the class description. Special thanks to Ranger Chris for his contribution to the class and deep knowledge of cool movie quotes – and Fred for not seeing us creep up on him through that creek bed despite his wide array of technology.

If you are like me and believe defending liberty and your family is of the highest order, you can’t just talk the talk. Classes at MVT will help you walk the walk. You can learn range drills on YouTube all day long. But there’s nothing I know of that can replicate the experience of a combat environment like Combat Patrol.

Showing up Friday morning I knew a little of what to expect having taken CTT (which you must to do CP). Max isn’t there to just watch you burn enough rounds at IPSC targets to feel like you got your money’s worth. He expects you to perform. Obviously safety is reason enough but it goes beyond that. You can tell the pride in what he does is not about the money. It’s much deeper than that. Not speaking for him, but my sense is that he is driven to see students walk out of his classes truly better prepared and more effective at the things that matters most – preserving life and liberty should those things ever become in question.

Exhausted. Exhilarated. Humbled.

I can’t think of anything else you can do in life that offers those three intense feelings simultaneously. But that’s how I felt hopping off the ATV following the final exercise of Combat Patrol. I’m sure these sentiments went for many others in the class.

Combat Patrol is grueling. Why? While Max might say, “Because fuck you, that’s why.” – the reality is it has to be. If square range classes are hitting balls in a batting cage, these classes are like taking batting practice with Nolan Ryan in his prime throwing. And who wouldn’t pay $600 for three days of that!

You will be exhausted come Sunday afternoon – I don’t care what kind of shape you think you’re in. The terrain will tax your body. The amount of information will stretch your mind. The 24 hour exercise will test your heart. If you’re not at least a bit intimidated by all this at some point during the weekend, you’re either superhuman (you’re not) or in denial about reality. Combat Patrol is the closest thing civilians like you and I will ever experience to combat – short of the real thing. If you’re looking for the real deal, this is it.

But despite being physically smoked and mentally drained you can’t help but feel exhilaration at the end of it all. Covered in dirt, drenched with sweat and clutching a smoking hot weapon, you’ll be able to say “I did it”. You’ll walk (well, maybe limp ?? away with more confidence (real confidence – not ego inflating BS) than you walked in with. It’s all about breaking through your own self-imposed barriers and I can’t help but think the value of this training can extend beyond defending life and home.

Be prepared to be humbled too. You might think you’re in super shape but you’ll probably find out otherwise here. You might think you have the perfect kit but you’ll find out otherwise here. *Special note to gear whores – if you really want to find out if your setup will actually work in a real life situation (not in front of a mirror in your basement) – take this class. It will save you money in the long run. Maybe even your life.

You also might think you are “super tactical guy” because you’ve taken a few classes from some sexy-resumed instructors or maybe you can pound small groups into paper at 100 yards from a bench on a Sunday afternoon. Well, guess what? Reality – in this case combat, doesn’t care about those things. Combat Patrol will teach you what really matters. Plan. Execute. Shoot. Move. Communicate. React. Endure. Overcome.

If this all sounds more like a personal challenge than an AAR, maybe it is. You’ll have to go to WV to find out for yourself – if you have the balls.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#1]
How about an actual AAR instead of an advertisement?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#2]
If you really want to know the step-by-step evolution of the class you can read it on his website because he spells it out in great detail (which I referenced). Plus, there are so many AAR's on Max's site for this class and others I figured I'd write something different. If a tough, grueling weekend sound like ad copy to you, maybe you should consider it ;)
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How about an actual AAR instead of an advertisement?
View Quote

Looks like an AAR to me.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you really want to know the step-by-step evolution of the class you can read it on his website because he spells it out in great detail (which I referenced). Plus, there are so many AAR's on Max's site for this class and others I figured I'd write something different. If a tough, grueling weekend sound like ad copy to you, maybe you should consider it ;)
View Quote

I was never a space shuttle door gunner but, I was infantry. I've done plenty of patrols and have been tired and dirty plenty of times. That being said, is there always more to learn? Absolutely. That's why I clicked on your thread. Please, don't get me wrong, I'm not challenging you or doubting the trainer. You titled it as an AAR and it's not.

I don't want to read what someone wrote about the course they teach. Anyone can say anything about themselves and their training. I prefer to hear specifics from people who attended the course. Things like:

What did you learn?
What were the training/scenarios and the goals set by the cadre?
Do you feel that you accomplished those goals?
Did you set any personal goals?
Did you accomplished those goals?
You feel that the training is realistic and worthwhile. What is your opinion based one?
What gear did you use?
What did you learn about your gear?
What weapons did you use?
What did you learn about your weapons?
What was your mindset before? Did it change?
How many rounds did you fire?
Do you have any advice for anyone who plans on attending the training?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:[/spaQuoted:

I was never a space shuttle door gunner but, I was infantry. I've done plenty of patrols and have been tired and dirty plenty of times. That being said, is there always more to learn? Absolutely. That's why I clicked on your thread. Please, don't get me wrong, I'm not challenging you or doubting the trainer. You titled it as an AAR and it's not.

I don't want to read what someone wrote about the course they teach. Anyone can say anything about themselves and their training. I prefer to hear specifics from people who attended the course. Things like:
View Quote

What did you learn?
1. Terrain is the ultimate variable. PT levels on flat ground and cardio done without load break down quickly in mountainous terrain (as this is).
2. Like sports, speed and timing of movement is critical. In a kinetic environment slow = dead. Greater levels of PT and not being bogged down in gear is key as is training with your group to get the timing down.

What were the training/scenarios and the goals set by the cadre?
1. Setting up an occupying an overnight patrol base, conduct a night operation on a target (which was very cool), react from enemy hasty attack and fight out of patrol base with casualty, set up and execute a linear ambush, finishing with a planned assault on enemy base. These operations were interspersed with other drills and knowledge periods with the operation tempo being highest the final 24 hours. The results - getting a taste of living in the field and operating under physical and mental fatigue.  

Do you feel that you accomplished those goals?
This was the closest I've ever been to actual combat so yes, I feel like I got a small taste and the confidence that I can be effective in such an environment. Hell, I even kinda liked it.

Did you set any personal goals?
1. To avoid injury best I could. This terrain is unforgivable - steep and rocky so a rolled ankle is always just a few feet away. My goal was to move fast but under control - something I accomplished.
2. To shake out lots of new gear for the first-time in a real-world situation. And yes, lots of lessons learned here (detailed later)

Did you accomplished those goals?
See above

You feel that the training is realistic and worthwhile. What is your opinion based one?
I've engaged in three other tactical classes and all were on square ranges. From what I've seen, these comprise 99% of all the tactical training available to civilians. Got a lot of value from each but more along the lines of shooting fundamentals and practice technique. MVT is an entirely different world because it introduces reality into the training - live firing next to others, pop-up targets, adrenalin dumps, movement across unforgiving terrain, impromptu weapon malfunctions, fatigue, mission planning and execution, etc. Minus the bullets cracking by or into you, this seems to have many of the elements of a combat environment. There's huge value in this type of inoculation if a city guy like me should have to ever defend life and hom

What gear did you use?
1. Pack: Eberlestock Halftrack 35L. This was brand new so I didn't know what to expect other than knowing it would hold enough food, extra ammo (240 rounds), sleep gear, tarp, etc and partial water (3L bag) for 3 days out.

The good: very comfortable fully loaded as we wore it on patrol exercise a few times. Mine weighed in at about 47 pounds. Also rides just high enough to wear a battle belt provided your belt gear doesn't ride too far behind your flanks.
The bad: Not much really, though the front-loading style makes it harder to keep all your gear in place when digging through it. Lesson learned: to divvy each gear type (rations/cooking, toiletry/clothing, etc) into their own small stuff sacks. That way you can fetch the gear you need quickly and secure your bag - something important when at a patrol base or in the field.

2. Sleeping gear: Snugpak jungle bag - man is this thing narrow,. If you have wide shoulders you'll have a tough time. Had an inflatable Thermarest and it was way too big, Took too long to fill and put away so won't be using this type again - despite how small it is compressed.

3. Boots/clothing: Garmont T8 NFS - awesome, very lightweight. Just make sure any boot is broken in well before a class like this or your feet will suffer for it. Also want to make note of the Crye G3 Combat Pants with air flex knee pads. Expensive but I would consider a pair mandatory kit especially with the knee pads for rough terrain.

4. Battle rig: This is the second class at MVT with the Viper Modular plate carrier rig. It carries 3 AR mags and 3 handgun mags across the chest plus additional mags, IFAK, etc on the cummerbund. I did not wear plates. I would not recommend a setup like this for this role. The biggest reason is velcro. I hate that shit - it's loud. I can't imagine why anyone would put velcro on ANY gear designed for a combat enviro. With this product, getting in and out of it requires the peeling of a huge 4x8" panel which is super loud (think night or stealth) and awkward. Plus, it tends to slide around on your torso because of how high the mags are fitted. Think about it - there is much more rotational movement of your upper torso than hips when running about. Makes me think getting the weight of the battle rig closer to your hips would be a beneficial from a weight bearing and movement standpoint. Plus, getting prone with mags on your ribcage is less than comfy ;)  

What weapons did you use?
Day One: 12.5" custom BCM (5.56mm). Very lightweight with Aimpoint H2. I overlooked lube so had a few FTE early on which a good shot of lube fixed. Good practice though as it happened during live fire drills.
Day 2-3: Different 12.5" custom BCM with Eotech and AAC M4-2000 suppressor. Performed flawlessly and I'm now coming to prefer the Eotech vs Aimpoint personally. The ranging ability and quick target acquisition of the reticle are key. If only it weighed a few oz. less ;)  The one thing to add would be the BCM KAG (angled foregrip) which I had on the rifle #1 (Keymod version so I couldn't switch it over to rifle #2). The suppressor makes the rifle front heavy so that additional leverage point would be a benefit.

What was your mindset before? Did it change?
I went into this open-minded but with some expectations having taken a class prior at MVT. You have to be ready to learn for sure. You have to be able to "flip the switch on" at a moments notice when in the field - you never know when shit will come your way. But if you stay frosty every second you'll be mentally drained quickly. Also, combat sucks. This class was just a small bite of it without the worst parts (hot lead hurtling at you). If you walked into this looking forward to your own SHTF moment of personal glory, you might change your mind after experiencing this particular class.

How many rounds did you fire?
Personally, a little over 500 rounds. Some went through 600-700. My first time at MVT I burned through rounds way too fast so my fire discipline is much better now. But this is a lower round count class relative to the other offerings such at CTT.

[span style='font-weight: bold;']Do you have any advice for anyone who plans on attending the training?
Yes, PT. You'll probably read this in every AAR of MVT classes and it's for a reason - to operate efficiently and safely you need to be in control of your body. PT is the cornerstone of this. If you can, walk or get on a treadmill wearing boots and a loaded ruck - its a good start. Two, bring a reliable weapon - dealing with malfunctions gets in the way of learning - though you may get good at clearing jams ;)  If you can, come with a buddy - someone you plan to train with back home. If you can come with a team of 4 - even better. You'll train with strangers otherwise who have varying degrees of physical ability and egos so be prepared for that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 7:17:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted: Reads like an advertisement as well.

-- Chuck
View Quote

Reads like an advertisement because those of us who have taken courses with MVT realize how much snake oil we've been sold with the "standard" square range courses we've taken.  An MVT course has more than a few "lightbulb moments" for most students, and we are pretty motivated to "pay it forward", so to speak.

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 9:03:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Great review, thanks.

CP is a fun class.

Just got back from the Rifleman Challenge a few weeks ago-

Rifleman Challenge

Got Vanguard.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:25:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Good review mate.  You did a good job describing the texture or feel to the thing, although some guys just want the bullet points.

The vast majority of reviews on line are positive endorsements of training guys have received.  Why you would single out a guy who had a good experience at MVT and call him out as "just advertising" is beyond me.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top