User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2015 9:57:28 AM EDT
AAR Defensive Concepts NC -Defensive Handgun
March 14, 2015
Carthage, NC - Trigger Time Range
Instructors: Chris/Steve
Previous Training: None
Gear Used: S&W M&P 9mm (Apex internals, Heinie Straight 8s), Volund Gearworks Belt, Blade Tech Holster and Double Magazine Carrier (part of S&W range kit)

This was my first handgun class aside from CWP class several years ago.  I arrived at the range about 8:30 after driving in during the rain, something that continued for most of the day.  Chris and Steve began the safety briefings for the day and made sure waivers had been filled out.  Chris had us introduce ourselves to others in the class, tell what other training experience we had, and what handgun we would be running for the course.  There were 13 students attending, the majority running Glock 19s.  Two, including myself with M&Ps.  A HK and at least one Sig rounded out the class.  Three of the students had training prior to this class.  

Down Range Shot Before Shooting Began

Introductions and Safety/Admin

The first real work began when Chris had us fire an eight round group for accuracy from the 7 yard line onto a IPSC.  The aggregate performance of the class is what he used to determine skill level, and the tempo of the class.  We would do about 90% of the shooting for the day from 7 yards.  We did move back to the 10 yard line for several strings later in the day.

8 round group at the course onset:

The course then moved on to dry firing for proper trigger control.  We used brass on front sight drills, buddy drills, and ball/dummy drills with a partner to catch one another flinching before the shot.  Great training tools.

We moved to grip and shooting stance, including master grip.  

After lunch we had a discussion on human anatomy and how to best stop threats.  Steve painted our "head" and "chest" target areas that we would use the rest of the afternoon.  I found the headshot area pretty difficult, especially if I dropped any fundamentals.

Chris had us working live fire by this point and was driving home some of the things we were working on in the morning.  Almost every one of those shots outside the vitals I knew was was out as soon as I broke the trigger.  Usually my first shot in each series was good, but got impatient and jerked the trigger on follow ups

Taping targets in between runs

The next instruction block involved emergency reloads, Type I, Type II, and Type III reloads.  We covered the slide lock and slide rack runs on the emergency reloads and the merits of each method.  Type I and II malfunctions were easy enough, but the double feeds were sometimes a little rough.  I found that I was cheating a little on the bringing the gun into the workspace when trying to diagnose the problem when Chris pointed it out.  It was also worthwhile to get a feel for what the trigger was telling you about the guns condition.

For a wrap up we shot the 8 round group again.  I cut my group size in half!!

Rough Course Syllabus

TD 1:
8 round evaluation group
Dry fire for trigger control
Front Sight/Brass drill with buddy
Ball and Dummy with Buddy
Shooting Stance
Draw Stroke
-Lunch-
Human Anatomy - Where to put rounds
Reload Drills
Malfunction Drills
Reshoot 8 round group - note improvements

I left the range Saturday with a better ability to manipulate and shoot my handgun, and that's what we pay for in these classes to achieve.  However, I think whats really important is that Chris and Steve show you proper techniques to allow you to improve on your own.  Even if I wasn't having a particular problem myself, watching them correct it, I know how to deal with it if it ever shows up.  I also know what I need to work on to get better - what I suck at, and what I really need to train.  It was an 8 hour class but I could probably recreate sections from the class every time I dry practice or go to the range for the next 6 months and still make marked improvements.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#1]
ETA: Pictures and changed the narrative--The first draft sucked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top