Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2014 10:06:22 AM EDT
AAR Fundamental Handgun Class - Cresson Texas June 14th

This was my first shooting class that I've ever attended, so my perspective from being under the tutelage of Tier 1 Super instructors is nil.

I am your typical CHL holder that visits the local indoor range once maybe twice a week on my lunch break and had reached a plateau for improvement gleaned from YouTube instructional videos and tips gleaned from friends and family with more experience (Brother = USMC Scout Sniper, LEO friends, NRA Instructor Friends).

I signed up for this class half thinking that this would be an entry level introduction to handguns and a taster to more advanced classes. Boy was I wrong. This Fundamental Handgun Class, and according to other attendees (LEO and Active Duty) had something for everyone.  

Class is 10 hour information packed and implementation full knowledge dump. Stephen is a great and approachable guy, at no time did I feel like I needed to drop and do 20 when asking even pedestrian comments.

There were around 12 students of above beginner level so I think that helped get the curriculum off to a good start. Everyone knew how to load and fire.

Class started in a build up methodology explaining the topic, the desired execution, the logic behind the choices, the pros and cons of the decision, pros and cons of alternate stances and finally the implementation and adjustment to the individual.

IE Stance:
 - The building blocks of stance
     - Feet - Hips - Shoulders - Elbows - Wrists - Sight Alignment - The perfect setup for ideal shot and what it allows you to do.
       - What happens when there is deterioration due to exigent circumstances?
       - What is fundamentally required to still get the shot you need to take and can accept?
     - Recoil Management
     - Enabling Accuracy (accuracy is most important)
 - What is Stephen's Theory of Execution
     - Clear Definition
     - What others have taught
     - What are the quid pro quod and pros of cons of both that enable you to be successful in shot choice.
  - Range time implementing his desired effect with evaluation and correction.

Everything was executed in this deliberate and methodical way. Topics breakdowns were as such:

Stance
Grip
Sight Picture
Trigger Setup
Recoil Management
Reloads
Draw Break Down (5 Stages)
Draw and dry Fire
Draw and Fire
Weapons “Refunction” (Malfunction Clearance)
Moving toward Target
Moving to shooting position

Every topic has 2-3 shooting drills incorporated for practice, all timed and all scored on accuracy. This added an exceptional amount of accountability to the execution of the drills. Aim small miss small, in some instances, targets were 1" or 3x5 size index cards. A valuable an honest assessment at how one performs under pressure and any inconsistencies become blatant when aiming at such sized targets. I also found that this helped to develop better visual acuity when developing target localization and sight picture alignment.

Personally, this class opened up Pandora's Box of drills, desired effects, and where I need to improve to become a better fundamental shooter. Very challenging mental and physical integration with the timing and scoring of everything.

I thoroughly enjoyed this class, and for those of us out there that can barely get away from everyday life due to funds being directed to wives, kids, work etc... this class is excellent both from a time and economic investment.

I am looking forward to the reps I can now take at the local range to improve as well as taking a carbine fundamental class.

Impressions of Stephen:

He is very interested and invested in being a quality instructor. He takes open criticism of classes at the end of the class, which is great to see. He is actively looking to give the customer an excellent product and I appreciate that. Class is executed in a congenial and relaxed atmosphere in between reps. Class progresses with the students allowing for extra reps or further break down when requested. It was the fasted 10 hours I’ve experienced in a while.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:36:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I love how reviews of M3 are always set up exactly the same way...

Almost like, stephen has hundres of troll accounts all made in 2013

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:45:28 AM EDT
[#3]
did the range close down 2 hours early each day so the trap team could practice?

did Steven go out to lunch with his industry partners for two hours?
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#4]
What pants was he wearing?

How many fingers was he holding up?

Important questions bro
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Guess I'm waiting for the check . Must be in the mail?
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What pants was he wearing?  

How many fingers was he holding up?

Important questions bro
View Quote

Don't really look at other guy's pants, but shorts maybe?

Lunch was spent with the class. Talking about whatever, some guys had specific equipment questions, I personally, was interested in a better mag release for a Glock 19, I have a hard time getting the mag to dump easily. He suggest a Vickers though mentioned it could stick out and where on you when carrying concealed.

Order of the review followed the timeline of events, I guess I could go all Pulp Fiction next time to keep people on their toes.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
did the range close down 2 hours early each day so the trap team could practice?

did Steven go out to lunch with his industry partners for two hours?
View Quote

no, had the whole facility to ourselves.

Lunch with the class in pow-wow like setting.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

He is pretty big on AAR's. One of the last things he does at his class is pretty much beg for people to go write AAR of his classes. It's good and bad. But as long as people are being honest about them and it helps other people decided if it is the right class or not then whatever.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I signed up when I found this site trying to research manufacturers when purchasing an AR for the first time, all exacerbated, I'm sure, by the pending legislation from the Newton Shooting. I imagine a ton of other '13ers did the same. Ease up bro.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I signed up when I found this site trying to research manufacturers when purchasing an AR for the first time, all exacerbated, I'm sure, by the pending legislation from the Newton Shooting. I imagine a ton of other '13ers did the same. Ease up bro.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He's been known to shill and have canned "AAR's" to give to his students.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh. Well, news to me. Still enjoyed the class though.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

news to me as well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a patently false claim. Care to provide a source for this information?

I'd be shocked, to say the least......because it doesn't exist.

What has been stated above is true; I strongly urge students to write AAR's as they drive class attendance. I will give students a $50 discount on a future course in exchange for their time and effort to write said AAR. This has been made known before and, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't cross any ethical lines.

If you have a personal issue against me, that's fine. Taking it up with me personally would seem like the right thing to do. My contact information is at the bottom of this post, feel free to reach out with any issues you might have.

As for this thread and AAR's of future students: I don't think it's too much to ask to refrain from de-railing the thread for sake of bashing the instructor. It is simply a matter of respect for the student who put forth the time and effort to write the AAR.

Thank you, 1845Bear for the excellent review.

Stephen Pineau
(443) 883-6214
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Milkhail you @&$/:;&@!!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#15]
None of this BS is true. Stephen is a stand up guy who puts on a hell of a class. "Taking a lunch break with industry partners"???  He ate dinner with students every night he was here. Someone needs to get their facts straight.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 7:06:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Unless someone can provide proof of shilling, please stop disrupting the tech forum with BS claims.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top