Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2014 1:24:37 PM EDT
Lighthorse Tactical Low Light Handgun (www.lighthorsetactical.com)

Chief Instructor: Curt Carpenter

Date: 1 FEB 14

Round Count: ~250 Handgun

Duration: 8 hours

Location: Double Tap Training Grounds, Calera, AL (www.doubletapal.com)

BLUF: Strongly recommended. Shooting with the lights out is not something most of us practice enough, and the reality is that if we are forced to use our handguns to defend either ourselves or our homes, it is extremely likely that you will need to do so in low light or no light conditions so it behooves us to be prepared to fight with a flashlight.

First Block: Classroom work. Double Tap Training Grounds is a brand new facility and we utilized their classroom and projector. We covered topics like the science of low-light vision, primary flashlight applications, 10 Principles of Low-Light Tactics, 4 Hand Held Techniques, the hunter vs victim mentality, using a weapon mounted light, and setting up your home to more easily defend it in low-light situations. We then looked at a variety of different flashlights and compared brightness, size, ease of use, etc. It was good to get some hands on experience with some flashlights that I had never used before in an effort to make a more informed choice on flashlights.

The various hand held light techniques were then put into practice. We did a quick run through of the four different positions being taught, and then moved into the simunitions structure at DTTG. The purpose here was to learn how to use your flashlight as a defensive tool. We used the flashlight to temporarily blind an attacker long enough to either move out of the line of attack, or to close the distance and press your own attack. There is a lot of value here as it is something that you can take home and teach anyone, including those who have an aversion to carrying firearms. We also worked on positive target identification, and were forced to make a quick decision as to what kind of item the instructor was carrying and whether or not the item constituted a threat.

Second Block: We moved out to the range at this point to run through some of the drills during the daylight to familiarize ourselves with them. We did some basic warm up drills, then moved on to doing reloads with a flashlight in your hand, target transitions, fighting from the ground and rapid fire. This gave us time to work out which technique we preferred for utilizing our hand held flashlight and which position(s) we struggled with. After warming up and familiarizing ourselves with the positions and skills we would need later, we took a quick break to set the range up for the evening portion, grab a quick bite, and most importantly for the sun to go down.

Third Block: We repeated the same drills as we did during the daylight, although this time it was in complete darkness and we were forced to effectively use the flashlights and the appropriate positions. Like I stated earlier, the vast majority of us do not practice using a handheld flashlight when we go to the range, and I know for me it certainly showed as there was definitely a learning curve. Learning how the various techniques for using the flashlight affected how I shot the pistol took me some time, and I know it is something that I will definitely be practicing in the future.

Fourth Block: This block involved us needing to “clear our house”. We set up some walls and some Lighthorse designed “Junkyard Falling Targets” which make for a very good training experience. We started by only engaging one target, and which of the four targets we needed to shoot changed based on the color of tshirt we were told to engage. As you make a solid hit on the target, due to the design they fall over giving you much better training than simply punching holes in paper. The next scenario involved us moving from position to position around the walls, engaging one of the four targets at each of the positions and utilizing a different flashlight hold each time. This block is outstanding training as it is definitely what you will encounter if you are forced to defend your home at night.

Fifth Block: This block involved some thinking as well as shooting from unorthodox positions. There were multiple colors of paper used as targets, and the instructor called out multiple colors and a number, and you were required to hit those colors with the given number of rounds. We began by doing this just from standing, and then moving on to doing it from kneeling over a barrier, as well as from the ground and shooting through a hole in the barrier. This drill forced you to change your flashlight technique and adapt as you changed firing positions, and to really focus on letting the pistol settle down, get a good sight picture and trigger press to get your hits.

Sixth Block: The sixth and final block was designed to get us to pick up our rate of fire. We had proven that we could shoot accurately using the various light techniques, which is good, however being able to both shoot accurately AND rapidly is best. We began with one second splits, then half second, then quarter second. With two hands on the gun shooting rapidly and recoil management is easy, however getting accurate, rapid hits with only one hand while manipulating a flashlight is much more difficult. By the end of the drills we were all getting solid hits in the given splits.

Summary: I was definitely humbled by this class, and I will be working on shooting with a flashlight and honing the skills I picked up at this class at subsequent trips to the range. It lit a fire under me to get better at these techniques because like I stated earlier, the reality is that if I am forced to defend my house, it will be in the dark.

If you are serious about defending your family and your home, this class is a must. Too many people stand at the flat range and punch holes in paper under ideal conditions. Turn the lights out, take a hand off the gun, and take yourself out of your comfort zone because you owe it to your family and yourself to be as skilled as possible.

We only had three students in the class. Pretty awesome because we all got A LOT of reps, which is great in a class like this.

Lighthorse Tactical is an outstanding training value. They do not waste your time, your ammo or your money. Every round you send downrange has a training value. The course cost is $100 and I challenge you to find a better bang for your buck (pun intended). Take the class, can’t afford not to.

Gear: Glock 17 w/TLR-1 in a GCode SOC on a MULE drop leg platform. DSG Arms 1.75” belt with 3x TACO pouches on a Raven Concealment Moduloader, VERTX pants and Lowa Zephyr boots.

Shoot the colors.

Yours truly clearing my "house."

Doing some barricade work.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top