Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/14/2011 5:58:44 PM EDT
Today I attended a fighting rifle class held by Tactical Response at their home town in Camden TN. Here is the email that I sent the owner, CEO, and primary instructor James Yeager.  It contains all the information you need to know concerning the faults of this class. I warn all of you to PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE DECIDING TO ATTEND ONE OF HIS COURSES!!!! Also listed below is his response to this email as well as a follow up made by me.

Mr. Yeager,

I am writing this email not only for myself but for David Breeden another attendee of your class. I am writing to inform you that we will NOT be attending class tomorrow and also to disclose the fact that we were completely unsatisfied with the training we received. After serving 6 years myself and Dave serving almost 6 in the military most of which was spent in both kabul and khandahar Afghanistan among other less than desirable places, as well as taking several other Carbine classes from various instructors, I have to say that the training we experienced today was by far at the lowest end of the scale.

To start off with I knew that things weren't going to go very smoothly when I stepped foot on the range and seen that there were 26 students (the most I have ever seen in a class) and only 4-5 instructors. 2 of which did most the work while the others stood around chatting. There was very little interaction between the instructors and the students. (I was only visited by someone twice during the entire day of training) This lack of overlook by supposed professionals was probably the main cause of the student that shot himself in the foot (which is the first injury of that nature I have witnessed outside of combat) I understand that mistakes will be made and some may be outside of your control however none of us had even signed a range safety worksheet or really went over any safety rules at all other than basically not pointing the gun at other people. This shows me that there is a severe lack of professionalism on your businesses part.

I try my best to overlook all of this and hope that there will be some good fundamentals taught and maybe some new things that I haven't learned yet. However after standing 5 yards from the cardboard for over half the day and being instructed to shoot the target 15 times in the junk and then 15 in the heart and then 12 in the brain I soon realized that this was just going to be a waste of ammunition. The rest of the day was spent somewhere between 5-15 yards blowing through 700 rds of lake city with no instruction if I was doing good or if there were problems that I needed to correct. The only 2 corrections I received all day was that that I should just throw my mags on the ground instead of using my dump bag (which was just as fast and in the real world when you have to shoot and move you don't leave them on the ground because sometimes you have to move in a hurry) and the second correction was that I shouldn't use my bolt catch after an empty mag but rather to use the charging handle. This to me is a shooter preference as I have seen it done both ways so I wont hold that against the instructor for showing me other options. That's what instructors do. At the same time I was also told to pull the charging handle after topping off the firearm even though there was already a round in the chamber (obviously). Doing this ejects a perfectly good cartridge onto the dirt. But that was my only interaction with any of your staff which I felt was inadequate for 8 hrs on the range.

I checked your website prior to deciding to take the class and after reading mixed reviews on various forums that I am on (ar15.com, calguns, getoffthex, snipershide, etc.) and seeing that you had a money back policy if I was unsatisfied with the class we both chose to go ahead and reserve a spot. You had lots of good reviews so please don't take this as hate mail because it is not meant to be, its simply an explanation of why we are requesting that you uphold your policy on refunds. We spent $400 a piece on the class itself and then we find out that there is a $10 a day range fee (also a first unless the class isn't held on company range) $200 for the hotel for 3 days (even though your website says that a team room will be provided and I was contacted just a couple weeks before class saying that you have "things going on" and it wont be available), $180 in gas, about $60 in food. After all of this we both can honestly say that we feel cheated to say the least.

I hope that you can understand our discontent and will stand by your word on your refund policy. I will be awaiting your reply. Thank you and I hope that we can work this out easily.

V/r,

Shane Ward
David Breeden
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Shane,

Please fully read our FAQ as it pertains to your complaints and refund: http://www.tacticalresponse.com/d/faq

Also please read our Course Description and Gear List: http://www.tacticalresponse.com/course.php?courseId=1

I hate that you didn’t like the class but quitting halfway through isn’t really the “Open Mind” we ask for.

James Yeager - CEO - Cell: 731-336-4602

Training: http://www.TacticalResponse.com 877-7LETHAL

Gear: http://www.TacticalResponseGear.com 866-TAC-GEAR

The best tactical forum ever: http://www.GetOffTheX.com

Listen to our Podcasts at http://blog.YeagersCorner.com

See our Training videos: http://www.YouTube.com/user/JamesYeager

See our Gear videos: http://www.YouTube.com/user/TacticalResponseInc

Your class photos are available at: http://www.TacticalResponsePhoto.com

Follow me on FaceBook!

Link Posted: 7/14/2011 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Mr. Yeager,

This is more or less the response I expected considering that you charge a range fee for your own range and charge $300 for a brick of wolf ammo that sells everywhere else for $240. Thank you for your time, I will begin my process of reallocating the funds through my bank as well as letting all the other folks around the US that are thinking of taking your classes know that you dont really stand by your policy via the forums (AR15.com has millions of users and your name is already not in the greatest standing there.)

I would consider spending half of the class time (1 full day out of 2) an open mind. I did everything your instructors told me to. Again I am not trying to bash your company as you obviously have made it a success. I hate when I see good training go out the window in an attempt to make as much money as possible off of the customer.

-Shane
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag to see what happens with this.

ETA: Shane, could you state what other classes/instructors you've attended, and what your perspective was on each? Thanks dude.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow what to say man....

Someone actually shot themselves in the foot

5-15 yrds all day for a carbine course??

Shoot him in the nuts???

Very weak response from the owner????

The wife and I are looking into courses for next year. Will definitely not go through them [://

Sorry to hear about your wasted money and time!

Here is what they say about the class

You know how to shoot your rifle or subgun now let us teach you how to FIGHT with it! This course is far more advanced than any other rifle course you can attend (with the exception of our advanced course) and covers trajectory, battlesight zero, gear set-up, sling configurations, transitions to pistol, use of cover and concealment, practical ready and firing positions, close- and medium-range snap shooting, weapons handling, urban applications, team drills, firing while moving, multiple targets, plus the tactics required to employ this potent tool in combat. Every student leaves this class with empty mags, a red hot rifle, and a smile from ear to ear! This is one of our most popular courses.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Please fully read our FAQ as it pertains to your complaints and refund: http://www.tacticalresponse.com/d/faq
Q: Do you REALLY have a 100% refund policy if I am not happy?

A: Yes. All you have to do is articulate why the course was unsatisfactory
in front of the other students before class is dismissed.

Different, that is for sure.

Link Posted: 7/14/2011 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#7]
TAG

Oh dear!  Well thanks for the heads up. Don't they have someone here on the forums? I'd like to hear from anyone else that took the class as well.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow. I had been lookingat their courses becuase they were relatively close to me, but now I think I will be going elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Good for you for communicating in a respectful manner with JY.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear he's running on a lot of integrity.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry to hear you had a negative experience, I have had nothing but good experiences when I have been involved in TR training, including their Fighting Rifle course.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Q: Do you REALLY have a 100% refund policy if I am not happy?

A: Yes. All you have to do is articulate why the course was unsatisfactory in front of the other students before class is dismissed.

Different, that is for sure.

Yes.  It appears they use speaking in front of an audience as a hedge against refunding money.  It's pretty common knowledge that speaking in front on an audience is very intimidating for most people.  Add to that the fact that it is usually difficult to confront someone on their faults (even in private) because most people don't want to be assholes even if it is justified.  The clearly designed this policy to minimize having to refund students who are not happy.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like some pretty shitty training. I have never heard of anybody training to shoot at someone's junk. His instructors sound like they are of the mindset that they are too cool to interact with paying customers. Thanks for the review.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sounds like some pretty shitty training. I have never heard of anybody training to shoot at someone's junk. His instructors sound like they are of the mindset that they are too cool to interact with paying customers. Thanks for the review.

Pelvic girdle.  Another form of a failure to stop drill.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Again I am not trying to bash your company as you obviously have made it a success. I hate when I see good training go out the window in an attempt to make as much money as possible off of the customer.

-Shane

So you have not yet resolved things with Tactical Response and you're "not trying to bash the company" but you start a thread here titled: "Tactical Response - Dont waste your time or your money"  

-Why not wait to post AFTER you've either gotten your refund or not gotten your refund?
-It's stated on their FAQ that the Team Room spots are reserved on a first-come, first served basis.
-I was a range representative / RSO for a 3 day Magpul Carbine 1 where there were 20 students (iirc) and 2 instructors. I hung out for 1 day of Magpul Carbine 2 where the numbers were the same - 10 to 1.  LINK w/ pic from Carbine 1 class - 19 students in pic - 1 left after day2
-I'd appreciate it if you didn't also shit in my thread advertising the upcoming Tactical Response Fighting Rifle class I'm hosting in Racine, WI. in October.
-I've attended lots of Tactical Response classes and been happy with them.  This is why I host them.  I would not host them if I thought the training was substandard.  I'm sorry you felt that the class was not worth your time / money.  Every active duty / prior service vet I've spoken with about Tactical Response's training has been happy / impressed.  Here's an excerpt from a prior infantry guy that took Fighting Rifle last year written by "JordanSkinner":
"After being in the army for 4 yrs in the infantry nonetheless i didnt know how much I DIDN'T know about how to handle my rifle as well as a sidearm. this was my first and hopefully not my last tactical response class. I wish this kind of training was taught in the army cause the standards that they now have are far less superior than the 2-DAY course offered by you guys. Thanks again jay, mike and brian. MONEY WELL SPENT!" LINK to class review

Link Posted: 7/14/2011 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Save it for GD
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

-Why not wait to post AFTER you've either gotten your refund or not gotten your refund?

That is what he did. He is not getting a refund as he did not meet the refund rules. So here we are in this thread.

Link Posted: 7/14/2011 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again I am not trying to bash your company as you obviously have made it a success. I hate when I see good training go out the window in an attempt to make as much money as possible off of the customer.

-Shane

So you have not yet resolved things with Tactical Response and you're "not trying to bash the company" but you start a thread here titled: "Tactical Response - Don't waste your time or your money"  

-It's stated on their FAQ that the Team Room spots are reserved on a first-come, first served basis.
-I was a range representative / RSO for a 3 day Magpul Carbine 1 where there were 20 students (iirc) and 2 instructors. I hung out for 1 day of Magpul Carbine 2 where the numbers were the same - 10 to 1.  LINK w/ pic from Carbine 1 class - 19 students in pic - 1 left after day2
-I'd appreciate it if you didn't also shit in my thread advertising the upcoming Tactical Response Fighting Rifle class I'm hosting in Racine, WI. in October.
-I've attended lots of Tactical Response classes and been happy with them.  This is why I host them.  I would not host them if I thought the training was substandard.  I'm sorry you felt that the class was not worth your time / money.  Every active duty / prior service vet I've spoken with about Tactical Response's training has been happy / impressed.  Here's an excerpt from a prior infantry guy that took Fighting Rifle last year written by "JordanSkinner":
"After being in the army for 4 yrs in the infantry nonetheless i didnt know how much I DIDN'T know about how to handle my rifle as well as a sidearm. this was my first and hopefully not my last tactical response class. I wish this kind of training was taught in the army cause the standards that they now have are far less superior than the 2-DAY course offered by you guys. Thanks again jay, mike and brian. MONEY WELL SPENT!" LINK to class review

What difference does it make if he received a refund or not if his title indicated don't bother based on the shitty experience and training provided. His title had nothing to do with a "refund". Also training in different areas by different people will be "different". Its clear in this instance from his experience that the training provided sucked. He gave the owner an opportunity to respond to a calm well written email. In return he received links vs an apology and offer of a refund.

That tells me what I need to know.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 7/15/2011 1:00:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 1:06:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 2:36:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I can only really say the clips I have seen of their videos does not inspire much faith in the training.   It looks like the instructors read a FM on how to conduct fire and maneuver once but lack the practical experience to train how to do it right.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 5:17:17 AM EDT
[#24]
After asking numerous friends that have trained there, all of whom are veterans and many are SF or Rangers, I've been given the distinct impression that TR's courses are for people with no exposure to a real course. Someone that has btdt, or trained under people like Richard Mason, Kyle Defoor, Lamb, Vickers, etc isn't going to learn anything from TR. Taking a class from TR, then a class from a real instructor like the others named, is going to result in them having to unteach you things that you "learned" at TR.  TR Fanboys are somehow convinced that no place is better, and that's simply not true.

As one SF friend that's been to TR told me "if I want to throw away a few hundred dollars and get nothing for it, a strip club is much more fulfilling"

One needs only to look at JY's background and compare it to that of legit instructors to realize this. It sucks that the OP is out his money. I hope anyone considering TR pays attention to his post. TR has no place among people that actually want to learn something.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 5:32:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
After asking numerous friends that have trained there, all of whom are veterans and many are SF or Rangers, I've been given the distinct impression that TR's courses are for people with no exposure to a real course. Someone that has btdt, or trained under people like Richard Mason, Kyle Defoor, Lamb, Vickers, etc isn't going to learn anything from TR. Taking a class from TR, then a class from a real instructor like the others named, is going to result in them having to unteach you things that you "learned" at TR.  TR Fanboys are somehow convinced that no place is better, and that's simply not true.

As one SF friend that's been to TR told me "if I want to throw away a few hundred dollars and get nothing for it, a strip club is much more fulfilling"

One needs only to look at JY's background and compare it to that of legit instructors to realize this. It sucks that the OP is out his money. I hope anyone considering TR pays attention to his post. TR has no place among people that actually want to learn something.

You're making some pretty strong assertions for someone that has no first-hand experience. The cadre that I worked with taught the same things that you see all the other big names teaching. I know that the guys I worked with at TR have trained with guys like Vickers, Dieter, Rogers, etc. I'm not some "fanboy", and I'm not saying they are the best school out there, because I haven't been to them all. I have trained enough to think the above quote is not credible though.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 5:41:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're making some pretty strong assertions for someone that has no first-hand experience. The cadre that I worked with taught the same things that you see all the other big names teaching. I know that the guys I worked with at TR have trained with guys like Vickers, Dieter, Rogers, etc. I'm not some "fanboy", and I'm not saying they are the best school out there, because I haven't been to them all. I have trained enough to think the above quote is not credible though.

My first hand experience with TR is why I won't train there. I was considering taking a medical class from them, and after direct conversation with the instructor, realized that they have no business being allowed to teach anything.  Thinking it is ok to teach how to infiltrate a chest to releive a tension pneumo thorax, to people without medical training is insane. ESPECIALLY when they were doing it "by lecture".  It's an MD level skill in Arkansas "where the class was" and even though it's in the taught skillset for EMT-Ps, it's against state regulations to do it.  Yet they advertised it as a skill to be taught (among many others) in a weekend class.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 5:59:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My first hand experience with TR is why I won't train there. I was considering taking a medical class from them, and after direct conversation with the instructor, realized that they have no business being allowed to teach anything.  Thinking it is ok to teach how to infiltrate a chest to releive a tension pneumo thorax, to people without medical training is insane. ESPECIALLY when they were doing it "by lecture".  It's an MD level skill in Arkansas "where the class was" and even though it's in the taught skillset for EMT-Ps, it's against state regulations to do it.  Yet they advertised it as a skill to be taught (among many others) in a weekend class.

Tension pneumothorax relief is taught in CLS classes to young men and women who have no medical training other than first aid all the time. I'm a licensed clinician and I've seen the pulmonologist step aside and let my colleague perform the puncture for drainage before. It's not rocket science although you do need to know the indications, contraindications etc., and it is taught as a gunfight skill based upon  the results of military studies showing that ariway control via NPA, prevention of hypovolemia, and tension pneumos relief would result in a massive jump in fatality reduction. If you don't want to prepare for that contingency, that's all well and good.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 6:00:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Here is the latest update from Mr. Yeager.

Shane,

I never said I wouldn’t give you a refund. Some of the things you said were in error I was sending you the correct info.

Follow me on FaceBook!
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 6:01:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Here is the latest update from Mr. Yeager.

Shane,

I never said I wouldn’t give you a refund. Some of the things you said were in error I was sending you the correct info.

Follow me on FaceBook!

My reply:

Mr. Yeager,

I seen the part about standing up in front of the class and expressing your dissatisfaction. However I feel that this is merely an attempt to minimze refunds given due to most peoples fear of standing up in front of others. Its hard enough for most to confront the business owner in private let alone in front of 30 other people. There is already quite a few people waiting to see what is going to happen with this. Since it appears that you may be rethinking your decision on refund I will update the thread and await further contact.

Thread in question:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_9_19/230811_Tactical_Response___Dont_waste_your_time_or_your_money.html

Thanks again and I hope we can get this resolved.

-Shane
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 6:06:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Tension pneumothorax relief is taught in CLS classes to young men and women who have no medical training other than first aid all the time. I'm a licensed clinician and I've seen the pulmonologist step aside and let my colleague perform the puncture for drainage before. It's not rocket science although you do need to know the indications, contraindications etc., and it is taught as a gunfight skill based upon  the results of military studies showing that ariway control via NPA, prevention of hypovolemia, and tension pneumos relief would result in a massive jump in fatality reduction. If you don't want to prepare for that contingency, that's all well and good.

I know that, and you know that. And I've done a few(regs be damned). However, I've had a little training and had years of experience before anyone taught me.  Not the same thing as taking jackasses off the street with no training or experience and "teaching them BY LECTURE" It ended up with the instructor offering me a free class on the condition I stop telling people in that thread that it was a bad idea.

As far as shooting classes go, I don't need to buy a vulcan lower to know it's a pos. If friend after friend tell me "i'll never go there again, even if it's free" that's just as telling. These friends aren't civvies like me. They're real deal, btdt guys and many of them wear SF or Ranger tabs. Then of course we have the camera incident that just absolutely showed the stupidity allowed there. That in and of itself is reason enough for me to say "not no, but hell no"

Besides, I have a world class training facility less than a half hour from me. I believe you're headed there next week?  That'd be all the excuse I need to never go to TR. I don't NEED compelling reasons from others. I have a great one.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 6:43:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know that, and you know that. And I've done a few(regs be damned). However, I've had a little training and had years of experience before anyone taught me.  Not the same thing as taking jackasses off the street with no training or experience and "teaching them BY LECTURE" It ended up with the instructor offering me a free class on the condition I stop telling people in that thread that it was a bad idea.

As far as shooting classes go, I don't need to buy a vulcan lower to know it's a pos. If friend after friend tell me "i'll never go there again, even if it's free" that's just as telling. These friends aren't civvies like me. They're real deal, btdt guys and many of them wear SF or Ranger tabs. Then of course we have the camera incident that just absolutely showed the stupidity allowed there. That in and of itself is reason enough for me to say "not no, but hell no"

Besides, I have a world class training facility less than a half hour from me. I believe you're headed there next week?  That'd be all the excuse I need to never go to TR. I don't NEED compelling reasons from others. I have a great one.

Lucky
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they have, they haven't learned much from it.

No appreciable accuracy standard, needless racking actions because something changed in the magazine well (WTF?!), no "brilliance in the basics" of marksmanship fundamentals, newbies doing 360 degree scans in intro classes.

More importantly...

Did I read that they had a student shoot themselves in this class?

If so, that would make 2 Tactical Response "students" who've accidentally shot them self...THIS MONTH.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE

So, TR put a target in front of you and let you dump rounds into it for $200/day with almost no direction, and zero meaningful correction?
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Shane,

No matter what I do now you won’t be happy and you began a thread to trash talk before you even allowed me to do anything. I wish you would have said something to me when I was standing on the range. This could have all gone a lot smoother if you would have just said something to me or my crew.

As a side note - starting those threads really doesn’t help your cause in any way even if your cause is to hurt my business.

Follow me on FaceBook!
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Mr. Yeager,

Thats not true at all. If you offer a refund. (even a partial refund for only the second day of class) I will definitely be satisfied. My cause is NOT to hurt your business and if you would have offered a refund I would not have posted anything at all. The reason I posted was so that people would know that if they take your class and are not satisfied then you will not try to provide any reimbursment.

Again, I am not trying to trash talk your business. Thats why I didnt say anything about that video or you as a civilian contractor or the camera incident. I am simply evaluating MY OWN personal experience with Tactical Response. I feel that at least a partial refund for the second day of training is 100% fair to both parties involved. Had I have said something to you or your crew they would have said this "while your in this class you have to do things the way we teach you" which is what they said whenever I questioned having to throw my mags on the ground vs. a dump pouch.

I didnt want a confrontation in front of 30 people who may or may not like your instruction. To me things like that need to be handled privately. Just like if two NCOs have a problem they dont argue about it in front of everyone. They take it outside away from everyone. Thats just how it works.

-Shane
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, TR put a target in front of you and let you dump rounds into it for $200/day with almost no direction, and zero meaningful correction?

It certainly appears that way based upon what the OP posted... 700 rounds @ 5-15yds with strings of 12-15 rounds.  I guess if accuracy doesn't matter, that is what you will need to neutralize a threat. 12 to the head? WTF?

Dangerous Entertrainment... "Grab your camo, we're going to play warrior"!
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
As a side note - starting those threads really doesn’t help your cause in any way even if your cause is to hurt my business.

I can agree with Yeager on this.  

His own actions have done far more damage than any review possibly could.

Link Posted: 7/15/2011 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If that's aimed at me, not at all. Nor did I imply anything remotely resembling that. In fact, it is the opposite of what I said. Why are you inventing BS? What specifically is your agenda?

Link Posted: 7/15/2011 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

first off let me say i have no agenda or dog in this fight.  however most of you who have chimed in about James Yeager and his training outfit all know his reputation.  quite possibly the most controversial name in firearms training.  the ones who love him think he can do no wrong, and the others who hate him have nothing good to say about him.

what strikes me as odd is Yeager's known and documented background while working for Edinborough Risk and the infamous Route Irish video and Yeager's after action report.  his AAR did not jibe with the video, and evidently Mr. Yeager had no idea a video existed prior to writing the AAR.  this led to Yeager's separation with Edinborough Risk and his subsequent website, fuckedinboroughrisk.com.  after legal intervention by ER's attorneys, Yeager took the website down.  so if anyone is guilty of trash talking, i would saw Mr. Yeager himself is quite versed at it.

Mr. Yeager's and his entire training outfit continue to ride the edge of safety in firearms training.  there are plenty of Yeager/TR videos where his untrained, unvetted, and otherwise unqualified students are doing live-fire downrange drills, shooting at targets with human photographers kneeling between targets (because who has ever heard of a tripod?), and evidently as someone pointed out,  now two known cases of negligent discharges resulting in gunshot wounds involving TR students.  while arguably yes, many high speed military units practice downrange drills, the difference is that they are more experienced, more vetted, and most importantly, work side-by-side with each other on a daily basis.  that is not something 20 students who don't know each other need to be doing.  

i remember a few years ago, Yeager/TR's insurance was called into question.  Yeager was asked to produce a valid certificate of insurance that would cover injury or death caused by gross negligence caused by other students.  i recall Yeager/TR was unable to produce one when put up against the wall.  i wonder if Yeager/TR now has that certificate of insurance they can post on this thread to show that they are adequately covered?

i have never taken a TR class for many reasons.  first, from what i can see on the YouTube videos and the various internet discussion threads, it is unsafe.  anyone who pays the money to TR can take a class.  that means biggest firearms ninny can hold an AK next to me and fire a bunch of rounds and i have to hope he won't accidentally shoot me.  while that is true of any class that invites absolutely anyone "with an open mind" and the cash to attend, i think that is slightly less prevalent in taking a class from CSAT, Vickers, VTAC, Trident Concepts, etc.  i dont know if they have better vetting, charge more money to keep the ninnies out, or whatever, but it seems that TR seems to have a reputation that they will take anyone's money to put on a class.  training is about money, but it isn't all about money.  people dont need to get hurt in training, and some people have no business being in a class where they can hurt others.  it is the responsibility of the training company and the instructors present to weed these people out.  that inclues a safety briefing, attentive line coaches, giving a warning on the first safety infraction, pull them off the line and give them an ass chewing on the second, and kick them off the line at the 3rd infraction.  yes that sounds very stern but everyone's ass is on the line if some idiot with an AK keeps his finger on the trigger and flags someone with his muzzle.  if i remember correctly, in a TR class one student's bullet struck another student's rifle.  how that happened i dont know but it doesn't instill confidence insofar as safety.

other various reasons why i won't take a Yeager/TR class:

1. Yeager's name is so controversial in the training community i don't want to associate my name with his.  while he and his staff must certainly have valid training points (many instructors teach the same thing so it can't be invalidated once it comes out of Yeager's mouth), who wants to be associated with a guy who had a very public and easily researchable past as a documented liar with his prior security contract firm, especially if i am putting in for a job with a PSC firm?  

2. if i have to go to court over a shooting and my training file is brought into question, do i want an attorney bringing Mr. Yeager into a court of law to testify on my behalf?  would that attorney and/or his investigators take the time/effort to research "James Yeager" and "Tactical Response" via a google search and enter all this controversy into the court record?  no offense, but i don't want Mr. Yeager testifying in court when it is my ass, not his.

3. TR has not showed a certificate of insurance to my knowledge.  not that he doesn't have one, but if he did that would certainly help many decide whether or not to take his class.  a reputable training company should have an insurance policy.

that being said, i have many friends that have taken Yeager/TR's classes and think they are great.  they must think so because they are repeat students.  if they will drive from TX to TN and pay money for a class then they must like him AND the training.  i have heard that Yeager in his personal life (not as a trainer but as a regular guy) is a very nice guy.  he would give you the shirt off his back.  i have heard from several people that he has improved as a trainer and isn't half the jerk that the internet makes him out to be.

certain established trainers should not be associated with Mr. Yeager.  for example: "The names Jeff Gonzales, Jim Smith, Kyle Lamb, Paul Howe, and Sonny Puzikas should never be put in the same sentence as James Yeager."  with that, i have to agree.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that's aimed at me, not at all. Nor did I imply anything remotely resembling that. In fact, it is the opposite of what I said. Why are you inventing BS? What specifically is your agenda?

No, it was a question/clarification for the OP, after reading his summary of how the day went.  Nothing is being "invented".
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Regarding safety:

What specific points were taught about safely handling and carrying a loaded carbine by the instructors? Was there specific instruction on the "hows" of safely handling the carbine?

What level of instruction was this? Was it a basic carbine class or an "advanced" class with prerequisites?

Here is how the morning started:

0900 - We arrive at the TR gear store and it is packed with students and the lead instructor begins talking about safety. He tells us to never point the muzzle at anything we dont intend to destroy. He elaborated this pretty far and then also said not to put your finger on the trigger until ready to fire. He continued to talk about this for about a minute and a half and then Yeager bust in and said "stop where you are at, get these guys to the range" So then the instructor said "ok guys grab your gear I guess were going to the range"

0915 - We arrive at the range, no further gun safety is explained. He then states that he has some safety forms and such for us to sign and for someone to remind him at the end of the day to pass them out. We put on our gear and immediately go into firing exercises. We fire for approximately 2 hrs when the student shot himself. At this time their was a line about 70-75 yards long of students with 2 instructors moving between the students. None of them checked a gun in between drills to ensure guns were safe or that any of us were doing anything correctly (other than making sure we threw our mags on the ground and not into our dump pouches)

0500 - Class is over and I am thoroughly pissed along with the guy I road down with for training. Someone reminds the lead instructor that he needs to have us sign the forms. He then says "Ill just pass them out tomorrow" We head back to the hotel to load up and go home after we both decided that we didnt want to blow through another thousand rounds of ammunition shooting from 15 yards while other students were just being set loose on a cardboard killing free for all.

I would also like to add that this was just his basic fighting rifle class which is a prerequisite for his advanced class regardless of what training you have before. One drill that I recall to be very dangerous for a beginner class especially is that we were all in a line shooting while walking backwards. Some students begin to drift to one side or the other and of course we were not all moving at the same speed. This caused several students to drift into others shooting lanes which could have been VERY bad.

I have yet to hear anything back from Mr Yeager however I doubt that anything will be resolved and I will most likely have to toss this up as a bought lesson. I could have had another KISS rifle for the money I spent
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#44]
LATEST EMAIL:

Shane,

So you freely admit that you did not comply with our written refund guidelines and you still want me to give you a refund? I must tell you that your attitude in class, via e-mail and on the web do not make me want to reverse our written policy.

Follow me on FaceBook!
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#46]
cookiemonster556  I can't agree with your assessment more.  I remember a video of his class where a guy with a camera sat under the targets to take pictures and in this class he had a student shoot himself (and someone reported that was the second this month).  Southern Exposure has run thousands of students through its classes over the past 15 plus years with over twenty instructors and we have never had a student shot.  No Yaeger has never been invited to do a class at Southern.  :) Safety is paramount.

If an instructor has a refund policy he should live up to it, this is the second time I have heard this complaint.

The one positive is the poor instructors make the good ones look even better.  :)

be safe   irv
southernexposuretraining.com
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Mr. Yeager,

Yes I do freely admit that I did not get up in front of the class and tell them all why I didnt like the class and that I felt unsatisfied. If I had of you would have told me that I didnt come to class with an open mind and I would have still not received anything. This policy basically allows the decision to issue a refund to rely on your sole discretion. I dont understand why any instructor would want a student to stand up in front of everyone in the room and argue back and forth about gun safety and what proper training really is. Had I have done this would you honestly have issued a refund? You may think that this is still hate mail. However as many others agree, my attitude about this has been very professional. I wrote you a very lengthy respectful detailed email about why I feel the way I do and you reply back with a couple sentences and a link to a course description and your FAQ page. That immediately showed me that you didnt really care if I as a customer was satisfied with the service that you have provided.

To give you an example of good customer service I will offer you this. My dad owns his own business hanging gutters. He does big jobs where people pay him a few thousand bucks to keep rain from dripping on their porches. Sometimes he drives a hundred miles or more to put these gutters up. He gets paid and then a couple weeks later someone will call saying they dont like where the water is draining or there is a small drip from one corner. He doesnt tell them "tough titty, I got my money" which is basically what you said to me. He is genuinely concerned about their satisfaction and will go back and make things right with them shake hands and be done. Thats how things should work. Thats why successful businesses say "The customer is always right"

You dont have to reverse your refund policy on my account. You can continue to act arrogant but I promise you the more people you screw over like this the more people will write bad reviews and your fan base will continue to dwindle away. Is doing the right thing and correcting your mistake and admitting that you should have just issued a refund not worth it? Im sure that many folks would be impressed that you swallowed your pride and made the correct decision. I think I have pretty much said all that needs to be said about this. The ball is now in your court. Do what you see fit.

Thanks again,

Shane
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#48]
ZH, as someone that's a bit more 'earthy' when dealing with people, I have to agree, you've remained extremely professional in your exchanges with the route irish taxi driver. His responses continue to demonstrate why he's a fuck stick.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
0915 - We arrive at the range, no further gun safety is explained. He then states that he has some safety forms and such for us to sign and for someone to remind him at the end of the day to pass them out. We put on our gear and immediately go into firing exercises. We fire for approximately 2 hrs when the student shot himself. At this time their was a line about 70-75 yards long of students with 2 instructors moving between the students. None of them checked a gun in between drills to ensure guns were safe or that any of us were doing anything correctly (other than making sure we threw our mags on the ground and not into our dump pouches)

Was the course of instruction covering transitions, or was it something the student did on his own?

If they were covering transitions 2 hours into a basic level course....

EDIT –– Oh, and James:

Since you're reading this or somebody is keeping you updated, a little helpful advice - the question of the refund isn't about ZombieHunter's attitude...it's about yours. You put the guarantee out there. How you choose to interpret the obligations it places on you is completely under your control and is going to be a reflection of your integrity in most people's eyes.

My advice? Give the refund and let that be that.

We shot pistol for about 30 minutes at the five yard range and were told to safe the pistol before reholstering. We then fired about 100 rds through our main weapons into a piece of paper from 5 yards recharged our mags and then we went into transitions from main weapon to secondary and we were told  to switch the rifle to safe before letting it hang and going for the pistol again. We were about 1.5 hrs into the class when we started doing transitions.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top