User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 36
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By denverdan:

This right here.

Hell I'll be pretty happy to get my first stripe on my white belt.
Only been training since December though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Afterwork_Ninja:
Originally Posted By Prae:
Got my purple yesterday.  Was a good time.   Been a long road to it, no turning back now....

Congratulations!

This right here.

Hell I'll be pretty happy to get my first stripe on my white belt.
Only been training since December though.

Won't be long.  Just keep rolling.

And thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:46:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jcncc] [#2]
A Zen conundrum. I am oldest and newest Judo Sankyu in Texas. Not to bad for a 59yo.    
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By jcncc:
A Zen conundrum. I am oldest and newest Judo Sankyu in Texas. Not to bad for a 59yo.     http://rs1332.pbsrc.com/albums/w619/mx5spd/Brownbelt_zpsrcwl04jw.jpg~c200?t=1425214516
View Quote

Congratulations.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Competed in my first tournament this past Saturday. I didn't medal but I think I did pretty well.
Won three (two armbars one on points) and lost two (one panic tapout and lost 11-3) but I learned a lot.

Not to bad for a 41 yr old no stripe white belt.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 5:04:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Competed in my first tournament this past Saturday. I didn't medal but I think I did pretty well.
Won three (two armbars one on points) and lost two (one panic tapout and lost 11-3) but I learned a lot.

View Quote

Nice.  Much better than my first tournament.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By utb1528:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By utb1528:

How'd yours go?
Do you still train/compete?
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Anybody watch Mundials this year?
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:19:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Just wanted to brag on my son a little bit.

This evening at his gym (Core Fight Academy in Hazlet, Texas), his coach (Blas Carrasco), had his coach (Ivan Bozovic), and Ivan's coach (Eduardo Santos), along with Eduardo's long time mentor Carlson Gracie Jr.  

They taught a great class and everyone, including my sons coach, learned several knew moves.

Carlson on the left, my son in the middle, Eduardo on the right.

My son after his 24th tournament. (I think he's up to 26 tournaments now, and usually brings home gold or silver.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:44:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jcncc] [#9]

My crew meddled in three age and weight classes. Yes I am in there.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:25:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I went to my first BJJ class last night.  It's a new program and it was their first night open.  So I did my first free lesson and signed up for a month and ordered a Gi.  

So far so good.  I've never done any training like this before so the instructor is happy I don't have any bad habits I think.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By toyotaman:
I went to my first BJJ class last night.  It's a new program and it was their first night open.  So I did my first free lesson and signed up for a month and ordered a Gi.  

So far so good.  I've never done any training like this before so the instructor is happy I don't have any bad habits I think.

View Quote

Nice, stick with it. The first few months you'll probably feel completely lost and helpless.

Eventually you start feeling a little less lost and helpless. I'm pretty new at this as well but improving slowly.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:52:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Nice, stick with it...  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By toyotaman:
I went to my first BJJ class last night...

Nice, stick with it...  

A few pages back you'll find my post about starting, I can't believe it has already been a year.

Hope you enjoy it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 10:33:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Tag for interest. A local place offers a 30 free trial. I'm thinking of giving it a go.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By KingRat:
Tag for interest. A local place offers a 30 free trial. I'm thinking of giving it a go.
View Quote

Do it you won't regret it.
I started in December 2014 @ 202 lbs I competed in a tournament last month in the 155lb division. I actually hit the scales at 148 lbs.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#15]

I started in December 2014 @ 202 lbs I competed in a tournament last month in the 155lb division. I actually hit the scales at 148 lbs.

View Quote

That's great, congratulations on the weight loss. I watched a documentary on YouTube last night about a white belt training for, and competing in a tournament.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#16]

That's great, congratulations on the weight loss. I watched a documentary on YouTube last night about a white belt training for, and competing in a tournament.
View All Quotes

Nice, do you know what it was called by chance?
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 9:32:34 PM EDT
[#18]

https://youtu.be/mBFnQMsQ5B0

View All Quotes

https://youtu.be/mBFnQMsQ5B0

Awesome thanks man. I'll have to watch that when the wife goes to bed.

She's very supportive but also a bit of a Jiu-Jitsu widow.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Last night I was presented with my blue belt.

Looking forward to more of the journey.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By testudo:

View Quote

Congratulations. How many classes a week do you attend?
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

On average 3 classes a week and 0.5-1 hour each week of live rolls after some of the main classes.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Congrats
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Did a Judo for BJJ Seminar.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Hit the mats again after taking several months off due to gym closure.   Jeeeez it sucked.   I'm a smaller guy and got blasted by everyone.     Lots of rust and the cardio is gone.   Was still a lot of fun.   So much work to catch back up on.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Got my blue belt Monday night. One year and 24 days after my first class.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:35:24 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Congrats, no belt picture?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:51:42 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Congrats!   Stick with it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Thanks man. Definitely sticking with it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 4:04:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: This_Is_Necessary] [#30]
Xxx
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I've recently started with a local BJJ school with a great group of guys. I'm able to make it to class three days a week every week with the possibility of a fourth class when my work schedule and home life permit. I still feel like an idiot and get tapped every time I roll but I really love the class and will be signing a 6 month contract with the school in a few weeks. I like being able to focus totally on something where I forget the stresses of work and bills and I love how much better I feel after such a short time. I'm really looking forward to everything clicking and being able to relax and flow, but I'm enjoying the journey.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Promoted to Nikyu in Judo.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Amontgomery:
I've recently started with a local BJJ school with a great group of guys. I'm able to make it to class three days a week every week with the possibility of a fourth class when my work schedule and home life permit. I still feel like an idiot and get tapped every time I roll but I really love the class and will be signing a 6 month contract with the school in a few weeks. I like being able to focus totally on something where I forget the stresses of work and bills and I love how much better I feel after such a short time. I'm really looking forward to everything clicking and being able to relax and flow, but I'm enjoying the journey.
View Quote

Awesome doood. I found for myself three days a week is the minimum to see fairly quick improvement.
Now that the wife and stepson train we go five times a week most weeks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:37:00 AM EDT
[#34]

Awesome doood. I found for myself three days a week is the minimum to see fairly quick improvement.
View All Quotes

I wish our school offered more than 3 night classes a week, thankfully he does offer one morning class and there is always his Judo classes as well. I can definitely see an improvement in just this short month. I still definitely feel like a clutz but I'm learning to relax and work the techniques I know rather than try to muscle everything.

This is definitely becoming an addiction. I find myself reading Jiu-jitsu Times and watching videos of techniques we learned in class (it's nice to have multiple viewpoints and be able to go over the techniques mentally).  

I'm hoping my daughter will get into it when she gets old enough. She turns 2 in June.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Buy Saulo Ribeiros book Jiu-jitsu University. It's loaded with good stuff if you have space you can drill ot at home.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:45:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Buy Saulo Ribeiros book Jiu-jitsu University. It's loaded with good stuff if you have space you can drill ot at home.
View Quote

Thanks! I was looking for a good reference to be able to refer back to.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:02:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Oh yeah and tape your fingers (Kurt Osiander has a good YouTube on it) and wash your Gi/belt every time.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 7:53:56 AM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

The Roy Dean videos are fantastic as well. They are well produced, they don't overload you with info and are broken down by belt, and are very reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:11:32 AM EDT
[#39]
At what point would you guys suggest a beginner start taking from outside media? Should I stick with material covered in class? I don't want to be the new guy who starts trying to do advanced techniques before getting down the basics.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:14:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Oh yeah and tape your fingers (Kurt Osiander has a good YouTube on it) and wash your Gi/belt every time.
View Quote

I'm religious about washing my gi and about hygiene. Rolling with the stinky guy sucks, so I try not to be that guy.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#41]
At what point would you guys suggest a beginner start taking from outside media? Should I stick with material covered in class? I don't want to be the new guy who starts trying to do advanced techniques before getting down the basics.
View Quote

The book and dvds suggested have excellent basics portions. I personally think its fine to experiment with that stuff.
But yeah as far as advanced stuff leave that to your instructor to teach. As you become more experienced you can start playing with the other stuff in the books/dvds.

In my opinion as a brand new guy defense and survival is what you need to focus on. And always ask your instructor or upper belts advice.

I have a tournament Saturday I'll post up my results and possibly a video in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 12:47:04 AM EDT
[#42]

The book and dvds suggested have excellent basics portions. I personally think its fine to experiment with that stuff.
But yeah as far as advanced stuff leave that to your instructor to teach. As you become more experienced you can start playing with the other stuff in the books/dvds.

In my opinion as a brand new guy defense and survival is what you need to focus on. And always ask your instructor or upper belts advice.

I have a tournament Saturday I'll post up my results and possibly a video in this thread.
View All Quotes

Thanks.

Best of luck Saturday
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#43]

Thanks.

Best of luck Saturday
View All Quotes

Thanks.

Best of luck Saturday

It depends.  If you are training 2-3 times a week I'd stick to training what you're being taught.  If you're training 5+ times a week and competing and need a way to direct some extra time or energy you have I find studying the current meta and leaders to be useful.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#44]

Thanks.

Best of luck Saturday
View All Quotes

Thanks.

Best of luck Saturday

Well I went 2-2 on Saturday for my second fourth place finish in a row ugh. No medal this time but as a parting gift I got a staph infection on my right eyelid.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:25:29 PM EDT
[#45]

Well I went 2-2 on Saturday for my second fourth place finish in a row ugh. No medal this time but as a parting gift I got a staph infection on my right eyelid.
View All Quotes

Thanks.

Best of luck Saturday

Rashes are cooler than medals right?
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 10:01:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Promoted to Nikyu in Judo.http://rs1332.pbsrc.com/albums/w619/mx5spd/Nikyu%20Pic_zpsmvocvzxo.jpg~c200
View Quote

Congrats!

Fellow Judoka as well......

Love to dish out some flight time.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#47]

Congrats!

View All Quotes
Promoted to Nikyu in Judo.http://rs1332.pbsrc.com/albums/w619/mx5spd/Nikyu%20Pic_zpsmvocvzxo.jpg~c200

Congrats!

Thx, happy flying. :)
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 6:48:46 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Don't wash your belt.

Unless you are trying to get that "thrown down the driveway" look.

Wash your GI, but not your belt.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 8:34:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: This_Is_Necessary] [#49]
Cool
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By GENESMITH:

Don't wash your belt.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GENESMITH:

Don't wash your belt.

WTF, Dude wash your freakin nasty ass belt at least every other
month or so. Trust me, you cant smell it but everyone around you thinks it stinks. Sheesh.
Page / 36
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top