Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 36
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Started doing some judo to supplement my jits ... took bronze at a tournament today after getting hit with some massive takedowns as a result of lame judo though lol ...
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#2]
MercuryU.com has the best demos. Judoinfo.com has more about judo than you can ever read.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 12:51:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jcncc:

MercuryU.com has the best demos. Judoinfo.com has more about judo than you can ever read.
View Quote

Dude nice.  There is a shit load of techniques lol
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 12:55:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Barbara:
I've never posted here, but not sure how to deal with something. I've been training for ~a year and half. I hold my own ok. In general, everyone is great..no one gives me any ground, and definitely they go hard with me. But one guy is a jerk. I avoid rolling with him and he usually goes to a different class, but once in a while it happens. He's super aggressive. We've been training about the same amount of time and he probably outweighs me by 60 lbs. I've watched him roll with other people and he's pretty intense but seems like he saves up for me and the other woman in class.  Friday night, he flipped me up on my neck and choked me. Sucks, but ok, fine. All's fair. But he wouldn't stop when I tapped and kept cranking on my neck while it was bent backwards over the mat. I finally yelled at him to knock it off. There's no way he wasn't seriously trying to hurt me doing that. What is his deal? I really don't want to whine to the instructor. Just avoid him? Stab him in the parking lot?
View Quote

Sure he saw the tap?

He does sound like an ass. Everyone where I train stops asap when you tap. Only issue is if they don't see it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 1:08:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Gabriel82:
Yeah I should of been a little clearer in my earlier post.. my bad.  I am a purple belt in BJJ and I have trained since white belt under the same instructor. He is a Pedro Sauer black belt, and we were a Gracie CTC.  I have traveled and had the opportunity to visit some other schools, some of them big name guys.  My instructor and I were having a conversation this morning about grappling being a part of Jiu Jitsu but not entirely Jiu Jitsu.  That is with us defining BJJ by Helio's master text and the original Gracie Academy curriculum. I have been lurking this part of Arfcom for a while and was just curious on what your guys input is. How do you, your school, or your instructor define BJJ? Thoughts?  
View Quote

I don't see BJJ as really being part of TJJ. We train mostly for competition, which is fine by me since I believe the strength of BJJ is competition. Stuff designed as self defense shares the inherent issues of the TMAs. We do have Grace /self Defense classes, I think they add some good stuff but I'd want a core skill set from competition BJJ.

I do think that MAA, basically "BJJ + Thai kickboxing" makes for a superior overall MA. But I think you want to get a lot of grapple only training and striking only training in addition to the full MMA game.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 10:37:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I am slowly reading through this thread and I signed up at GB this past week.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By testudo:

View Quote
nice, which one?

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 11:27:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: testudo] [#9]
Originally Posted By navvet89:
nice, which one?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
nice, which one?

Albuquerque, NM

Gracie Barra New Mexico
http://gbnewmexico.com/

Gracie Barra West Side is a short drive so I can occasionally attending a class there.
http://gbwestside.com/
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Albuquerque, NM

Gracie Barra New Mexico

Gracie Barra West Side is a short drive so I can occasionally attending a class there.

View All Quotes

nice, which one?

Albuquerque, NM

Gracie Barra New Mexico

Nice, you have some legit instructors there

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 7:32:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: testudo] [#11]

View All Quotes
nice, which one?

Albuquerque, NM

Gracie Barra New Mexico

Thanks, it is good to read the approval.

I don't know who the respected names are in BJJ at this point, but I have heard good things about the GB NM instructors and I feel fortunate to have access to this gym.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:35:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: navvet89] [#12]

I don't know who the respected names are in BJJ at this point, but I have heard good things about the GB NM instructors and I feel fortunate to have access to this gym.

View All Quotes

nice, which one?

Albuquerque, NM

Gracie Barra New Mexico

Look at the instructors page, all of those guys have recent successes in competition over the last few years, that's a good sign and you have multiple black belts in house. It looks like a really legit stable of instructors as far as respected names go, it's about 10 years of ball breaking work to get a black belt in BJJ, purple belts are typically the equivalent of black belts in other martial arts. I've been training bjj for about 3.5 years and am ranked a 1 stripe blue.

I train at a "satellite" school of the nearest Gracie Barra "premium" school, I train under a brown belt Ive known since he was a blue (and I was a brand new white belt). Our school is small but we get a lot of personalized attention that we wouldn't get at a bigger school so there are pluses and minuses.

If you have any questions about etiquette or training feel free to ask, there are some good guys here that can help.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Look at the instructors page, all of those guys have recent successes in competition over the last few years, that's a good sign and you have multiple black belts in house. It looks like a really legit stable of instructors as far as respected names go, it's about 10 years of ball breaking work to get a black belt in BJJ, purple belts are typically the equivalent of black belts in other martial arts. I've been training bjj for about 3.5 years and am ranked a 1 stripe blue.

I train at a "satellite" school of the nearest Gracie Barra "premium" school, I train under a brown belt Ive known since he was a blue (and I was a brand new white belt). Our school is small but we get a lot of personalized attention that we wouldn't get at a bigger school so there are pluses and minuses.

If you have any questions about etiquette or training feel free to ask, there are some good guys here that can help.

View Quote

I did check the instructors page and I figured if they have done well in comps it is a good sign. I understand that this thinking might have flaws, but it was something I used when shopping for a school. I also knew that Tussa and his instructors have a good working relationship with Jackson's MMA, this sold me too.

As far as belts go, it was not until recently that I clued in that the BJJ rank system is different than many other martial arts. It appears to take more of an investment to move in rank, which is a positive for me.

I have a bunch of questions, but many of these will only be answered by putting in the work in on the mat. I am focusing on making it to class a minimum of three times a week and my short term goal is to "graduate" from the fundamentals program. This way I can start the advanced program and hit some classes back-to-back.

navvet89, thank you for taking the time to respond. If anything comes to mind I'll post here or shoot you a PM.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#14]
one step closer to blue

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#15]
anyone watching the worlds or keeping tabs?
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 11:28:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By RoninBushi:
anyone watching the worlds or keeping tabs?
View Quote

Yup ... bought the stream and shit.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:14:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Hi guys!
I am 6 weeks into a Caique BJJ class.
Any tips for a new guy with limited natural BJJ skills?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By utb1528:
Hi guys!

Thanks.
View Quote

keep training and don't get discouraged.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Hi guys!

Thanks.
View Quote

Talent and natural skill are overrated.  The best are the best because they train hard and consistently.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Congrats on the blue.   Enjoy the journey
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Hi guys!

Thanks.
View Quote

LOL, none of us had natural BJJ skills!  Have to earn them over time.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 10:06:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FordGuy] [#23]
I got my blue belt a couple days ago. Wasn't expecting it. I don't really feel qualified but guess I'll have to work harder to make sure I am.
View Quote

I must be mixed up, I thought I saw earlier you were just a couple months into it?

I trained for 2 years before I got my Gracie Barra Blue belt.  Now a brown.  Congratulations, none of us really feel we deserve our belts at first.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 2:55:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: utb1528] [#24]
Originally Posted By FordGuy:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FordGuy:
Hi guys!

Thanks.

Thanks.  I am working at it.  Things are coming along well.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 5:53:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Barbara] [#25]
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#26]

No, about 2 years. Part of my surprise was because I've never competed, mostly because work interferes.

Tried Judo a couple months ago but messed up my knee and didn't continue.

Thanks for the congrats. Brown seems a long way.
View Quote
It is a long way away :)

congrats on the blue.

I was about 18 months to my blue, took another year to put the first stripe on it (that was back in March 2014 iirc).

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Shit, gimped my training partner last night.

We were drilling Uchi Mata

He's a big guy, about my height but weighs in at about 235/240. I squatted a little to make the catch and got him horizontal on the throw and (I think) he put his left foot down on the mat. He got off balance so I had to make a choice to either drop him on his face or roll him (by pulling is sleeve) and let him break fall. I rolled him, he went down pretty easy and hit a break fall but he was in immediate pain and left to go to the doctor. Doc (who is a judo person) said he tore his hamstring.

I know its a contact sport and all and accidents happen, even though we are extremely careful in regards to preventing injuries, it still sucks for him and it shook me a little bit as well. Makes me reluctant to throw people anymore.

In hindsight, I should have hit that throw at about 75% to *really* get him off the ground and into the air but I was trying to "take it easy".

I feel terrible

I'll probably get him a BJJ DVD set to watch while he heals up
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#28]
I've regarded it as a fact of life now, you get hurt doing Judo.  Not if, but when. With the end of the IBJJF season coming up I'm tapering my Judo practice down so I don't get injured.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By sweatpants:

I've regarded it as a fact of life now, you get hurt doing Judo.  Not if, but when. With the end of the IBJJF season coming up I'm tapering my Judo practice down so I don't get injured.
View Quote

Agreed, standup is dangerous.

We were just training normally last night, pretty normal throw and bam, he got gimped. My coach told me he was going to promote the guy at the end of class (1 stripe blue) but he was gone to the doc

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Well I got injured anyway but fuck it lol.  

Anybody else headed to the IBJJF Dallas Open?
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:35:57 AM EDT
[#31]

Well I got injured anyway but fuck it lol.  

Anybody else headed to the IBJJF Dallas Open?
View Quote
Nope, I'll be out there next Thursday though for business, if I was in town I'd attend. Damn I'm getting old, I'd be in the Masters 3 / Super Heavy Weight division. On the bright side there's not too many people in that group, unless they combine it with Ultra heavy then your screwed

Professor Alejandro from GB Southlake (Dallas) is registered for the BB group, he's a legit bamf, catch that match if you can.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:49:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Good day yesterday, pulled out a silver.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#33]

Good day yesterday, pulled out a silver.  

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-NbFYsn8eNyM/VBWq4UCxnRI/AAAAAAAAFNY/WzfRY0BZdoA/w649-h865-no/IMG_2404.JPG
View Quote
nice!

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:02:04 AM EDT
[#34]
anyone watch metamoris tonight?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#35]
welp, looks like I'm done with BJJ for awhile, maybe forever.

Advanced Degenerative Disk Disease (L3/4/5) and SI Joint Dysfunction complicated by advanced arthritis, just cant take the impacts anymore.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:47:04 AM EDT
[#36]

Advanced Degenerative Disk Disease (L3/4/5) and SI Joint Dysfunction complicated by advanced arthritis, just cant take the impacts anymore.
View Quote

Damn dude, is there anything doctors can do for you?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:33:36 AM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

Doesnt look like it, I saw two different ortho/spine guys, the only thing they could tell me was "come in when you cant stand it and you can have a shot and some pain pills".  One of them told me to get serious about core strengthening (abs and back) if I wanted to carry on somewhat normally.  I've been out of training for about two months now, my Prof sent me a text today and told me to come back and do what little I could and he wouldn't charge me tuition, I might take him up on it. Throws are out of the question, I cant stand the impact.

Rheumatoid Arthritis is ultimately the cause of my problems, nothing to be done about that.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Doesnt look like it, I saw two different ortho/spine guys, the only thing they could tell me was "come in when you cant stand it and you can have a shot and some pain pills".  One of them told me to get serious about core strengthening (abs and back) if I wanted to carry on somewhat normally.  I've been out of training for about two months now, my Prof sent me a text today and told me to come back and do what little I could and he wouldn't charge me tuition, I might take him up on it. Throws are out of the question, I cant stand the impact.

Rheumatoid Arthritis is ultimately the cause of my problems, nothing to be done about that.

View All Quotes

That really sucks to hear.  I hope strength conditioning can put you back to normal and maybe bring you back on the mats.  I don't know if you care for chiros but mine has been really good for muscle pain.  Not saying they'll be able to do anything to repair your particular problem but give you some relief.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:07:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: navvet89] [#39]

That really sucks to hear.  I hope strength conditioning can put you back to normal and maybe bring you back on the mats.  I don't know if you care for chiros but mine has been really good for muscle pain.  Not saying they'll be able to do anything to repair your particular problem but give you some relief.
View All Quotes

I appreciate it, we'll see, at this point I'm lucky to be getting around without a cane.

F'ing old age.

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 8:20:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jcncc] [#40]
Navvet89, try the Eight Brocade excercises (Youtube) and get the book Chi Kung for Health by Chuen. If nothing else you can still perform Tai Chi and have fun with push hands.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 4:02:32 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Sorry to hear this.    This also got one of my friends/training partners.     My wife was put out due to some odd knee injury.   Two scopes and it still will not stop swelling and range of motion sucks.   Plus the pain.

I always hate to hear about those who love the sport having to leave it.           Talk to your instructor and do what you can, only if it's safe.

Take care dude.

P
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By Prae:
Sorry to hear this.    This also got one of my friends/training partners.     My wife was put out due to some odd knee injury.   Two scopes and it still will not stop swelling and range of motion sucks.   Plus the pain.

I always hate to hear about those who love the sport having to leave it.           Talk to your instructor and do what you can, only if it's safe.

Take care dude.

P
View All Quotes

Take care dude.

P
I appreciate it.

My coach called me last month and invited me to come by and train when I could, and do what I can, at no cost. Can't really beat an offer like that but I'm still iffy on the back.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:57:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Just wanted to brag on my son.

Been doing Jiu Jitsu for about 2.5 years now.

19 tournaments, more than 50 fights.

Going to the AGF tournament in Duncanville, Tx next weekend, and an AGF tournament in Arkansas on the 31st.

I'm a very proud dad.

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:01:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Warrior blood in that kid.  Well done GENESMITH
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:06:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Thank you.

He loves to compete.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By GENESMITH:

Just wanted to brag on my son.

Been doing Jiu Jitsu for about 2.5 years now.

19 tournaments, more than 50 fights.

Going to the AGF tournament in Duncanville, Tx next weekend, and an AGF tournament in Arkansas on the 31st.

I'm a very proud dad.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=72257
View Quote
Nice!

Japanese Jiu Jitsu? Who does he train with?

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#47]
He trains BJJ and also Muay Thai.

BJJ  mon - thu, Muay Thai on tue, thu, & sat.

He's a very dedicated young man. (Also straight A student in all his pre AP classes.)

Like I said, I'm a very proud dad.

He trains at Core Fight Academy LINK
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Got my purple yesterday.  Was a good time.   Been a long road to it, no turning back now....
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:49:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Got my purple yesterday.  Was a good time.   Been a long road to it, no turning back now....
View Quote

Congratulations!
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Afterwork_Ninja:

Congratulations!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Afterwork_Ninja:

Congratulations!

This right here.

Hell I'll be pretty happy to get my first stripe on my white belt.
Only been training since December though.
Page / 36
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top