BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 36
Posted: 1/29/2008 1:10:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PUBBOY]
Well someone has to start one.

I've trained BJJ on and off since 1998. I'm no bad-ass, just an enthusiast. I'm currently working on a Blue Belt from Pedro Sauer and David Meyer.

I work out at Master's Martial Arts in Coolsprings (Franklin) Tennessee. Monday and Wednesday 6-7 PM. I'm a student there, but usually end up teaching a thing or two.

The school is new to the BJJ scene (less than a year), and we are working from a very good curriculum.

I'd love to have a discussion thread here on ARFCOM to talk about training, techniques, events, etc.

I'll bump this a few time to see what the interest level is. If there isn't any, I'll let it die.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#1]
It's nice to find another ground monkey on these boards!  I am currently training under a few Machado black belts here in Oregon.  http://www.impactjj.com/
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By Chizilds:
It's nice to find another ground monkey on these boards!  I am currently training under a few Machado black belts here in Oregon.  http://www.impactjj.com/

Excellent. How long have you been training?

This is our curriculum: www.grappling.us/

David Meyer and John Will are both Black Belts under the Machados.

I'm also training under Brian Mossey (Pedro Sauer): Mossey

I'm working towards Blue Belt under both of those curricula.

Let's keep in touch.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 1:08:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PUBBOY] [#3]

It's nice to find another ground monkey on these boards!  I am currently training under a few Machado black belts here in Oregon.  www.impactjj.com/

Made hot.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Just under a year or so... I'm balancing work, life and everything else along side it.  There aren't enough hours in the day I tell ya.... I did KK Karate for about 3 years and stopped with a brown... and got a BB in Take-yer-dough (tkd).  I have tried just about every martial art I can think of.... and haven't found any that stack up to MT and BJJ.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I have both of my boys in BJJ down here in Chattanooga. Here Their instructor is Mickey Swafford. My 11 year old just got his yellow belt, and my 8 year old just started (after watching his big brother for a year and begging and pleading!). I am very proud of the progress they have made, and very impressed with the instructor and curriculum.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 6:51:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PUBBOY] [#6]
Originally Posted By resq2106:
I have both of my boys in BJJ down here in Chattanooga. Here Their instructor is Mickey Swafford. My 11 year old just got his yellow belt, and my 8 year old just started (after watching his big brother for a year and begging and pleading!). I am very proud of the progress they have made, and very impressed with the instructor and curriculum.

Mickey is a nice guy. I've had several conversations with him about doing some weekend training and testing with him to pursue my Blue under Pedro Sauer. I've never met him FTF, and have yet to visit his school, but I hope to in the future.

Link Posted: 1/29/2008 7:01:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: easy610] [#7]
I train under a Machado black belt at eastwestmartialarts.com.  Ryan, the owner was the first true BB in BJJ in Michigan.  I train usually at the 630am class and tough getting the owner in at that hour so its usually another BB (awarded under Ryan and this school not Machado) and other EWMA brown belts, not Machado browns.

We do alright otherwise...a small dedicated group of older practitioners (most in 30s/40s and even a couple in their 50s) who are willing to get up at 545am to train....I just turned 40 and getting better all the time.  And I too am no bad-ass, but I know a few things.

Working off the Eddie Bravo half-guard series right now.  Lock down, pummel for underhooks (love the jaws of life!),  whip-up and have had recent success with the electric chair!  Better be flexible if I put that on ya!

Cheers,

ps.  In fact if you goto the web site the one young boy wearing the Atama gi on the site is my son a couple years ago...he's going on 9 and has been training for 3 years...UFC bound, baby!
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 7:06:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PUBBOY] [#8]

Originally Posted By easy610:
I train under a Machado black belt at eastwestmartialarts.com.  Ryan, the owner was the first true BB in BJJ in Michigan.  I train usually at the 630am class and tough getting the owner in at that hour so its usually another BB (awarded under Ryan and this school not Machado) and other EWMA brown belts, not Machado browns.

We do alright otherwise...a small dedicated group of older practitioners (most in 30s/40s and even a couple in their 50s) who are willing to get up at 545am to train....I just turned 40 and getting better all the time.  And I too am no bad-ass, but I know a few things.

Working off the Eddie Bravo half-guard series right now.  Lock down, pummel for underhooks (love the jaws of life!),  whip-up and have had recent success with the electric chair!  Better be flexible if I put that on ya!

Cheers,

ps.  In fact if you goto the web site the one young boy wearing the Atama gi on the site is my son a couple years ago...he's going on 9 and has been training for 3 years...UFC bound, baby!

I turned 40 last week!

I'm an O.G. as well.

Old Grappler

Most of the guys in our school are 40ish, with a few young buck in the mix to keep us spry.

Any art that you can train while lying on your back really appeals to me...

Are you working from Bravo's videos?

Some of his guard/attack set-ups are nothing short of amazing... plenty of stretching necessary before working them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 7:10:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: easy610] [#9]

Originally Posted By PUBBOY:

LOL!!  No doubt.

We have a HUGE young crowd (18-25yr old) at the evening classes.  In fact the big room (maybe 30' x 40'...pretty big and completely matted) is PACKED from wall to wall at many of the 6pm, 7pm, 8pm classes...I don't usually go as they are soo packed its tough to roll and not slam into another pari rolling....

Yeah, working off his videos.  At least I am.  We do a sort of ad-hoc training where someone will take the lead each class with an idea they want to work on, or some move or series of moves they want to work on.  Thus far it has worked well...

Link Posted: 1/29/2008 7:14:30 PM EDT
[#10]

LOL!!  No doubt.

We have a HUGE young crowd (18-25yr old) at the evening classes.  In fact the big room (maybe 30' x 40'...pretty big and completely matted) is PACKED from wall to wall at many of the 6pm, 7pm, 8pm classes...I don't usually go as they are soo packed its tough to roll and not slam into another pari rolling....

Yeah, working off his videos.  At least I am.  We do a sort of ad-hoc training where someone will take the lead each class with an idea they want to work on, or some move or series of moves they want to work on.  Thus far it has worked well...

I spend a week or so at Gull Lake, between Kalamazoo and Battle Creek, every Summer up at the lake house.

How far is Canton from there?
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I live within 2 miles of Canton...in Plymouth.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#12]

I live within 2 miles of Canton...in Plymouth.

How far is Kalamazoo from Canton?
Link Posted: 1/30/2008 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I just turned 26 saturday, and I have rolled against all age groups... let me tell you that 40 year olds can still hold their own!  I mean seriously, look at chuck and randy!
Link Posted: 1/30/2008 5:38:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: easy610] [#14]

I just turned 26 saturday, and I have rolled against all age groups... let me tell you that 40 year olds can still hold their own!  I mean seriously, look at chuck and randy!

HAHAHA...as stated I'm no bad-ass, but I've surprised a few younger fellas.  That's what I love about BJJ.  If you forgo the dreaded timer and roll Brazilian style (til someone taps) strength and explosiveness (generally attributes of the young...) mean much less...I am patient and don't mind lying in wait...and my defense is pretty solid..

Kalamazoo is about 1.25 hrs to my west....down I-94.

Link Posted: 1/30/2008 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#15]

HAHAHA...as stated I'm no bad-ass, but I've surprised a few younger fellas.  That's what I love about BJJ.  If you forgo the dreaded timer and roll Brazilian style (til someone taps) strength and explosiveness (generally attributes of the young...) mean much less...I am patient and don't mind lying in wait...and my defense is pretty solid..

Kalamazoo is about 1.25 hrs to my west....down I-94.

Hhmm... Maybe if I get sick of cruising Gull Lake in Dad's Chris Craft, I can talk my brother in to a BJJ road trip to check you guys out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 10:12:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Castillo] [#16]
Just participated in my first BJJ class the other day. I'm not huge, but I am more muscle than technique. Got choked out back by a skinny little asian kid who probably weighs half of what I do. Goes to show, size doesn't matter

As already stated, I really like fighting off your back. I've done some wrestling, and I really have no interest in doing something like that anymore that teaches bad habits.

ETA: I am glad this forum is finally starting to get going... I've been waiting for it to catch on, as I didn't really like the pairing of self defense and fitness over in General.
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Mickey is a nice guy. I've had several conversations with him about doing some weekend training and testing with him to pursue my Blue under Pedro Sauer. I've never met him FTF, and have yet to visit his school, but I hope to in the future.

Well, my 11 year old fell on the playground at school today and broke his arm, so he'll be out of BJJ class for six to eight weeks. So it's up to little brother "The Chicken Hawk" to carry on in the interim.
Link Posted: 2/12/2008 10:08:28 AM EDT
[#18]
So what are your training schedules like?

Right now I'n training only two hours a week. one hour Monday and One hour Wednesday.

My Saturdays have been to busy for open mat time.
Link Posted: 2/12/2008 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Twice a week - 0630-0730 hrs Tues and Fri.
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 3:46:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Hey guys,

I am a purple belt under Rolando Delgado, a Gracie Barra BB in Little Rock, AR.

I own/operate Conway Brazilian Jiujitsu and have been learning BJJ since 1997, teaching since 2001. www.conwaybjj.net

Glad to see so many of us on arf.com

Peace.

-R
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By Entryteam:
Hey guys,

I am a purple belt under Rolando Delgado, a Gracie Barra BB in Little Rock, AR.

I own/operate Conway Brazilian Jiujitsu and have been learning BJJ since 1997, teaching since 2001.

www.conwaybjj.net

Glad to see so many of us on arf.com

Peace.

-R

Make sure that you put any information concerning training seminars and events here, so we can see what's going on.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/15/2008 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I trained BJJ off and on for a couple of years. Right now, due to finances and time constraints, i train with a buddy in my garage. We bought a couple of SWAIN sports  mats a few months ago. While it is not the same as training in a gym, it beats doing nothing at all. My buddy trains 4-5 days a week and is working towards his purple belt. I prefer no-gi and i'd say we pretty evenly matched without the gi. With the gi, he kicks my ass.
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 12:28:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PUBBOY] [#23]

Originally Posted By crook8891:
I trained BJJ off and on for a couple of years. Right now, due to finances and time constraints, i train with a buddy in my garage. We bought a couple of SWAIN sports  mats a few months ago. While it is not the same as training in a gym, it beats doing nothing at all. My buddy trains 4-5 days a week and is working towards his purple belt. I prefer no-gi and i'd say we pretty evenly matched without the gi. With the gi, he kicks my ass.

Cool.

I've been thinking about getting some of the Swain mats for home as well.

Who is he training under in CA?

Link Posted: 2/15/2008 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#24]
He trains under Claudio Franca. His gym hosts the US BJJ open tournie in Santa Cruz every year.
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey guys, like others have said its great to see some grappling/bjj freaks here!

I started with JKD grappling assoc. in 1992 and then worked some of the Shooto stuff that was real popular in the JKD community back in the early 90's. Started Bjj around 94' and have been studying with a couple different people here in NY off and on ever since.

For the last couple years I have been doing MMA and No-Gi once or twice a week as my schedule allows.

Like a couple of you I am 38yo. It seems like everyone else in the school is in their 20's and they can just go and go and go... taking care of myself and diet are really important for me as I get older and continue to train.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2008 1:46:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: celticfozzie] [#26]

Like a couple of you I am 38yo.

Didn't think you were that old Chris.

As far as BJJ goes, been doing Judo once or twice a week and been doing a BJJ/grappling class once a week for the past 6 months. Ever since I took one of your classes Chris I have taken a really good look at my unarmed/empty hand skills. Basically, I am a gun guy who is expanding his empty hand training.
Link Posted: 2/23/2008 9:51:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ChrisFry] [#27]

Originally Posted By celticfozzie:

As far as BJJ goes, been doing Judo once or twice a week and been doing a BJJ/grappling class once a week for the past 6 months. Ever since I took one of your classes Chris I have taken a really good look at my unarmed/empty hand skills. Basically, I am a gun guy who is expanding his empty hand training.

Thats a good thing!

I tried Judo a few years back but for guys our size all the throwing was killing my back and I ended up missing more training than I was attending. How's that working for you?

A lot of people think that they are gonna do this and do that standing and on the ground until someone stuffs them. In-fight-weapon-access on the ground is a nightmare especially against a guy your size with some skills.
Link Posted: 2/23/2008 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By ChrisFry:

Originally Posted By celticfozzie:

Thats a good thing!

I tried Judo a few years back but for guys our size all the throwing was killing my back and I ended up missing more training than I was attending. How's that working for you?

A lot of people think that they are gonna do this and do that standing and on the ground until someone stuffs them. In-fight-weapon-access on the ground is a nightmare especially against a guy your size with some skills.

So where are you two guys training?

What kind of 'stand-up' are you focusing on?
Link Posted: 2/23/2008 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#29]

I train at a MMA gym here in the Utica area called Next Level MMA and Performance Enhancement.

Generally we have an hour MMA striking class and then several 5 min, rounds of sparring, sometimes with just hand and sometimes with hand strikes and kick and sometime everything to include takedowns and grappling. Then another day of the week I work just clinch work with a group of buddies.
Link Posted: 2/26/2008 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#30]

For the most part I am holding up pretty well. No back pain for me.  I am usually OK after the big throws and I work with a guy that has 50 lbs on me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2008 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#31]

I train at a club in Scranton PA annd as far as "standup", I work w/ a former Golden glove winner, who is showing me some boxing, nothing formal.
Link Posted: 2/26/2008 8:08:32 PM EDT
[#32]
As for injuries....going in for shoulder surgery Thurs morn....Always had shoulder issues, but the last 4 years of BJJ ain't helped none!

Hope to be back rolling within 4-6 weeks...I'm an eternal optimist!  At 40 I don't heal like I once did...WHO SAID THAT!?!?!  SURE I DO!
Link Posted: 3/15/2008 10:39:04 PM EDT
[#33]
The "Chicken Hawk" gets his first stripe...

Yes, it's really there...

Link Posted: 3/15/2008 11:54:30 PM EDT
[#34]

i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/resq2106/0312081814a.jpg

i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/resq2106/0312081815a.jpg

i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/resq2106/0312081816a.jpg

Cool!

Where do you guys train?
Link Posted: 3/16/2008 10:29:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: resq2106] [#35]

Cool!

Where do you guys train?

At Chattanooga Jiu-Jitsu Academy.

ETA: Better link.
Link Posted: 3/16/2008 12:07:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Cool!

Where do you guys train?

I already asked you that on page 1.

Link Posted: 3/16/2008 11:33:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Erik Paulson comments on training Djimon Hounsou for the movie Never Back Down.

Erik Paulson
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 12:24:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Resq2106, I train with Alan in Cookeville, dunno if you have met him.  Mickey and he are good friends.  I'm hoping to come down for the seminar that should be coming up.  I asked Mickey about it Friday when we were at Cowboys for Jeremy's fight and he wasn't sure either when we were having it.

I love the stuff though the guys were stand-offish (is that a word), but in retrospect I understand, I'm the only guy that has stayed in all the people that have came to the school since I started.  My son is now rolling with us and he likes this a bunch.  

The fight last Friday illustrated how much of this stuff really works!  

I told the guys I want to be the "old guy" that rolls with them.  Oh and they are much more friendly now that they see I'm not quitting.  Ha.

Mitch
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 12:32:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Welcome aboard Mitch!
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 12:40:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Daryll, I don't know the dates, that is what I was asking Mickey as well.  I dunno if he has even tried to pin down a date.  I'll post on here when I know something.  I may want to keep some of you thugs away anyway so I can have more time with pedro.  Lord knows I need it.  

Mitch
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 8:53:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: resq2106] [#41]

Cool!

Where do you guys train?

I know. I coulda been a smartass, but I refrained.

ETA: Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 1:13:24 AM EDT
[#42]

Cool!

Where do you guys train?

I know. I coulda been a smartass, but I refrained.

ETA: Happy St. Patrick's Day!

And what a day it was. We were slammed at the Pub all day long...

Link Posted: 3/25/2008 11:30:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Pubboy, the dates for Pedro coming in is the 27-28th.  He will be in Chatt.  I'm going, lemme know if you are going.  I can get more info as it becomes available.

Mitch
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 11:32:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Where does a blue belt stand in the order of things?  I'm used to Judo belts...
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 11:42:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PUBBOY] [#45]

Originally Posted By DigDug:

In most traditional BJJ schools, it is the first belt. Usually takes about two years to earn.

I'm on the 'ten year' plan...

Link Posted: 3/25/2008 11:49:30 PM EDT
[#46]

In most traditional BJJ schools, it is the first belt. Usually takes about two years to earn.

Like I said, I'm used to Judo's course of things.  Usually within 2 years you should be able to get your 1st degree black belt, but then after that it takes years and lots of time to move up.  I haven't practiced in years, but my instructor in college was a 2nd degree when I was working out back in 1984-85.  He currently is at these levels from my understanding:

5th Dan Zen Judo, 5th Dan Judo, 3rd Dan Goshin Budo Jujitsu

I should get off my ass and go practice again.  The crappy part is I wear glasses and Judo does not lend itself well to wearing contacts.  Learned that in college...
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 11:50:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNRonin] [#47]

Somebody tell me about those mats.  Me and the boy are going to need them soon enough.

Edit:  Found them, nevermind.
Mitch
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 12:14:59 AM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By TNRonin:

Somebody tell me about those mats.  Me and the boy are going to need them soon enough.

Edit:  Found them, nevermind.
Mitch

Where did you find them?
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 12:15:44 AM EDT
[#49]

Like I said, I'm used to Judo's course of things.  Usually within 2 years you should be able to get your 1st degree black belt, but then after that it takes years and lots of time to move up.  I haven't practiced in years, but my instructor in college was a 2nd degree when I was working out back in 1984-85.  He currently is at these levels from my understanding:

5th Dan Zen Judo, 5th Dan Judo, 3rd Dan Goshin Budo Jujitsu

I should get off my ass and go practice again.  The crappy part is I wear glasses and Judo does not lend itself well to wearing contacts.  Learned that in college...

Black Belt takes about ten years in BJJ...
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#50]
I found the mats, of all places.... swainmats.com.  FWIW, I'm allowed to be a smartass with Pubboy, we go back a couple years.  Give me a call if you decide to order, I wonder if we could save $$ on shipping.  I could drive over and pick them up.  I would like to get two of the accordian 4X6 mats.  I'll need some advance notice so I can save some.  I'm about to take a trip to London and need the $$ for that right now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 36
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top