Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 36
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 7:53:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Is anyone else going to the Chris Hauter seminar in Alabama on the weekend of the December 3rd?

He is going to be teaching at Spartan Fitness in Birmingham on Saturday the 3rd, and Sunday the 4th.

If you are not familiar with Chris Hauter, and you love BJJ; then you need to know who he is. Chris is one of the first 12 American's to receive his black belt in BJJ. So, he is considered to be one of BJJ's "Dirty Dozen".

I've had the chance to take a few privates from Chris while on business trips to California, and I can tell you, his game is sick. Because he's gotten older, his approach is VERY pressure oriented. I've never had anyone make themselves as heavy as he did. Just a super fuckin guy.

Here is a link to the Facebook page with event details.

https://www.facebook.com/events/521021031440377/

If you're going, drop me a line. I live in Atlanta, and have plenty of room in my home, if you'd like to stage from my home.
Drop me a line if you're going, or considering going.
[email protected]
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I am not sure if this is allowed, but I wanted to post a link to a BJJ Facebook page. It's called All Things BJJ. And it is just what the names says. I just passed over 10,000 members. It's a helluva place to network for BJJ.
I'm the admin, Brian Oravetz.

All Things BJJ
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chokeu2:

I've been on and off this forum for so many years. So forgive the low post count.

Like the rest of you BJJ addict here. I started BJJ in 1996 under a very senior level Brazilian.He got his red/black belt. And he moved in with me and my wife. so I got to train 5=6 days a week.

I love training wth gi primarily. So if you are in the Atlanta area, and would love to train, I would love to know that. I have mats at home, and having a training partner outside of class would be awesome. To that end, if you find yourself passing through town, and want to train, please hit me up.

I'm also a gi-geek, with over 40 gi's. Interested in trades or buying unique gi's.

If ya wanna train chokesbox @ gmailm
View Quote
Who are you training under if you don't mind me asking?

I've been training with GB Georgia since about 2011.

Link Posted: 11/14/2016 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Promoted to Ikkyu in Judo. Six weeks back on mat after being released from knee surgery.

Link Posted: 11/14/2016 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations on the promotion!
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Everythingisawesome:
View Quote

THX
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

This.
I had to Google what ikkyu was though.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:41:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By denverdan:

This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This.

Sankyu chiming in.  Good job brother.

I'm a purple in BJJ and probably have been to 4-5 classes in the last 1 1/2yrs.      Just finished tonight.    Sore and tired while I sip some good bourbon but it was glorious.   I'm a dumbass for ever stopping but life happens.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 3:30:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Prae:

I'm a purple in BJJ and probably have been to 4-5 classes in the last 1 1/2yrs.      Just finished tonight.    Sore and tired while I sip some good bourbon but it was glorious.   I'm a dumbass for ever stopping but life happens.
View All Quotes

This.

I've been out for six months. Same story. I got fat and out of shape.

Oh, well. It's time to get back at it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 8:26:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Afterwork_Ninja:

View All Quotes

This.

Its a journey and like any journey sometimes you get sidetracked. Important part is that you get back on the road.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By jcncc:

Its a journey and like any journey sometimes you get sidetracked. Important part is that you get back on the road.
View All Quotes

This.

Damn right.   Open mat tomorrow here I come.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#12]
So tonight I was rolling from the knees and I took a new guy down with a body lock with head pressure from the knees. He ended up going over  straight backwards and hyper extended an ankle.

This is sort of a vent and looking for advice. I'm a big bastard, 5'11 and 300 lbs. Should I always start from the bottom? Any other take downs I should avoid on small people?

I don't want to break my team mates, and if I keep mauling people no one will roll with me. And I don't want to go so light I won't learn anything. Injuries happen but I don't want to be "that guy" that breaks everyone.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ffsparky26:
So tonight I was rolling from the knees and I took a new guy down with a body lock with head pressure from the knees. He ended up going over  straight backwards and hyper extended an ankle.

This is sort of a vent and looking for advice. I'm a big bastard, 5'11 and 300 lbs. Should I always start from the bottom? Any other take downs I should avoid on small people?

I don't want to break my team mates, and if I keep mauling people no one will roll with me. And I don't want to go so light I won't learn anything. Injuries happen but I don't want to be "that guy" that breaks everyone.
View Quote
You should train with an intensity level appropriate for your training partners size and skill level.

Work on technique during training more than brawn and due to your size, be extra careful on take downs.

Find the training partners you can let loose with a little and hit them up during open mat or sparring to get your freak on.

As an example, I'm 5' 10", 220 and mid 40's in age, my favorite training partner was about my height but about 30 pounds lighter than me and about 25. He was a lanky guy and was all about technique, he outranked me by a belt (I'm blue, he was purple).

I don't know your ranking but if you are blue and below or slightly out of practice (sloppy) you need to be extra extra careful.

That being said, accidents happen, I fucked up a training partner drilling basic under-hook hip throws. I started first, threw him once and he tore his ACL in two places when he hit the mat, freak accident but I felt like shit over it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:36:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By navvet89:
You should train with an intensity level appropriate for your training partners size and skill level.

Work on technique during training more than brawn and due to your size, be extra careful on take downs.

Find the training partners you can let loose with a little and hit them up during open mat or sparring to get your freak on.

As an example, I'm 5' 10", 220 and mid 40's in age, my favorite training partner was about my height but about 30 pounds lighter than me and about 25. He was a lanky guy and was all about technique, he outranked me by a belt (I'm blue, he was purple).

I don't know your ranking but if you are blue and below or slightly out of practice (sloppy) you need to be extra extra careful.

That being said, accidents happen, I fucked up a training partner drilling basic under-hook hip throws. I started first, threw him once and he tore his ACL in two places when he hit the mat, freak accident but I felt like shit over it.
View Quote

Rolling with inexperienced guys is definitely the most dangerous. Ive only been doing this for less than a year but I've done a bit of wrestling/ combatives. A buddy from work 5'8" 300lbs and self proclaimed hapkido savant came in for his first class this Saturday.  We were partnered and he proceeded to try and show everyone how bad ass he was by throwing me has hard as he could during the new move/drill portion of class.  I had to give him the chill the fuck out talk.  This is the lets help each other learn part not the try and hurt me part. After that it was fun to roll with a guy who thought he was going to walk in and run the mat only to let a white belt (me) do whatever the fuck I wanted to him.  My back still hurts from that damn throw.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Remman:

Rolling with inexperienced guys is definitely the most dangerous. Ive only been doing this for less than a year but I've done a bit of wrestling/ combatives. A buddy from work 5'8" 300lbs and self proclaimed hapkido savant came in for his first class this Saturday.  We were partnered and he proceeded to try and show everyone how bad ass he was by throwing me has hard as he could during the new move/drill portion of class.  I had to give him the chill the fuck out talk.  This is the lets help each other learn part not the try and hurt me part. After that it was fun to roll with a guy who thought he was going to walk in and run the mat only to let a white belt (me) do whatever the fuck I wanted to him.  My back still hurts from that damn throw.
View All Quotes

Honestly I still drill throws but I don't let anyone throw me, I'll try and setup a 3 man instead of a two so the other guys have someone to throw.

My back problems and arthritis make being thrown a no-go, hitting the mat feels like getting hit by a truck. about an hour of that and I'm done for the week.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:50:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Started doing BJJ classes recently.  Just got my blue belt in Kajukenbo, so I decided to start refining the technicality of my ground work.  I'm hoping for my BJJ blue by the end of the year (done some previous jiu-jitsu work).
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 7:49:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Started doing BJJ classes recently.  Just got my blue belt in Kajukenbo, so I decided to start refining the technicality of my ground work.  I'm hoping for my BJJ blue by the end of the year (done some previous jiu-jitsu work).
View Quote

Outstanding, enjoy the ride and you will be rewarded. Strive for a final goal you will be disappointed.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't do BJJ, but lots of H2H training.  The "speed limit" is based on what the least experienced person can handle.  Almost always if someone gets hurt, it was too fast.  More time gives them a chance to take care of themselves.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:06:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By strambo:
I don't do BJJ, but lots of H2H training.  The "speed limit" is based on what the least experienced person can handle.  Almost always if someone gets hurt, it was too fast.  More time gives them a chance to take care of themselves.
View Quote

I think one of the main points of BJJ is that the "speed limit" is as fast as you can go; that's why rolling and sparring are essential.  Real, intelligent human resistance is the lab that confirms or rejects the science of combat.

If you spend too much time controlling your resistance, then you will learn to fight only semi-compliant opponents.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 4:37:20 AM EDT
[#21]
That is what is a "tap" is for.  You go as hard as you and your partner can handle.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Im a 3 stripe white belt and have been having issues rolling against really big dudes.  Im 6 ft 215lbs, but there are some really large dudes that roll at my gym.  This is particularly tough when they have me in side control, very rarely am I able to do anything but get caught or just wait until he tries something to attempt to better my position.  Any thoughts on what to do?  Just slow down and wait for some space to move or is there something else I can do to move a 300lb man putting all his weight into me?
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Any thoughts on what to do?  Just slow down and wait for some space to move or is there something else I can do to move a 300lb man putting all his weight into me?
View Quote

I'm just a white belt, but I would lean towards using framing or shrimping to create space.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#24]

I'm just a white belt, but I would lean towards using framing or shrimping to create space.
View Quote

Thank you for the advice, but that doesnt work as they are too heavy. lol
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 7:44:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: deanald2pt0] [#25]
Im a 3 stripe white belt and have been having issues rolling against really big dudes.  Im 6 ft 215lbs, but there are some really large dudes that roll at my gym.  This is particularly tough when they have me in side control, very rarely am I able to do anything but get caught or just wait until he tries something to attempt to better my position.  Any thoughts on what to do?  Just slow down and wait for some space to move or is there something else I can do to move a 300lb man putting all his weight into me?
View Quote

I can't believe I never saw this thread until now.

I fell your pain.  I'm a blue belt, about your size and I regularly roll with a guy around 300 lbs.  As you are finding out once they get on top they tend to use their size and weight to Smash you.

The simple answer is to not let them get in a top position.  You need to learn when your guard is getting past and it's time to bail.  Shrimp out, reguard, re establish grips and so forth.  I find playing closed guard difficult as it's hard to actually close my guard.  I try to go to open guard early, control the sleeves make space and stick my feet in their hips to control distance and keep them from smashing, work omoplata or something that keeps him away from me.

Now I realize that doesn't always work.  So when I get stuck in side control (at least with the guy I roll with). I try use my legs to bump him a bit and make a little a little room, re establish half guard, work on getting your under hook and playing half guard or taking the back.  Of course that also doesn't always work, so your just going to have to experiment.

Again, this just what I've found that works for me with that one training partner.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:54:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: navvet89] [#26]
Originally Posted By deanald2pt0:

I fell your pain.  I'm a blue belt, about your size and I regularly roll with a guy around 300 lbs.  As you are finding out once they get on top they tend to use their size and weight to Smash you.

The simple answer is to not let them get in a top position.  You need to learn when your guard is getting past and it's time to bail.  Shrimp out, reguard, re establish grips and so forth.  I find playing closed guard difficult as it's hard to actually close my guard.  I try to go to open guard early, control the sleeves make space and stick my feet in their hips to control distance and keep them from smashing, work omoplata or something that keeps him away from me.

Now I realize that doesn't always work.  So when I get stuck in side control (at least with the guy I roll with). I try use my legs to bump him a bit and make a little a little room, re establish half guard, work on getting your under hook and playing half guard or taking the back.  Of course that also doesn't always work, so your just going to have to experiment.

Again, this just what I've found that works for me with that one training partner.
View All Quotes

eta: I'm old as hell, 47, 5' 10", 225 lbs

Don't let the big guy get the top.

it will inevitably happen and there's not a lot you can do when they have +50 lbs on you (unless you are young and in top physical condition).

My advice to to study "sneaky" subs that you can hit from the bottom, baseball choke, kimura, wrist locks, collar chokes, anything you can hit to make the guy submit or get off balance and open up other opportunities. One of my favorites is to pretend to go for the kimura from closed guard and hit a wrist lock instead.

Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Any recommendations for a "plain" gi?

I don't mind the Gracie one I got when I started, but I want to see what people think.

I've been looking at the ju jitsu shop minimalist,  or maybe Killer Bee.

I want to stay mellow looking,  not like a freaking billboard,  especially since I'm a one-stripe white belt noob.

I just want to not have to wash my gi immediately after getting home late at night so it's dry in time to wear again
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:05:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By goalieMN:

I don't mind the Gracie one I got when I started, but I want to see what people think.

I've been looking at the ju jitsu shop minimalist,  or maybe Killer Bee.

I want to stay mellow looking,  not like a freaking billboard,  especially since I'm a one-stripe white belt noob.

I just want to not have to wash my gi immediately after getting home late at night so it's dry in time to wear again
View Quote
Any gi will do but it depends on how you are built, best thing to do is call a bigger dealer like budovideo and talk to them about what you are looking for.

I like white over blue but it takes a lot more effort to keep clean and I prefer the light weaves but they aren't as strong.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:31:28 AM EDT
[#29]

I've been looking at the ju jitsu shop minimalist, or maybe Killer Bee.

I want to stay mellow looking, not like a freaking billboard, especially since I'm a one-stripe white belt noob.

View Quote
I like 93 brand hooks gi.  Good Gi with a good price.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks guys.  

I had my birthday last Thursday, and, on Friday I found out about the place where I train doing "birthday rolling"  

I had 20 straight 3 minute rounds with 30 seconds in between while everyone took turns on me.  I figure if I had fun doing that at 47 years old, I should probably stick with it for a while and get another gi or two.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks guys.  

I had my birthday last Thursday, and, on Friday I found out about the place where I train doing "birthday rolling"  

I had 20 straight 3 minute rounds with 30 seconds in between while everyone took turns on me.  I figure if I had fun doing that at 47 years old, I should probably stick with it for a while and get another gi or two.
View Quote
We do what we call The Shark Tank.  You stay in, no breaks, with a fresh person lined up and ready to rotate in every minute in the exact same position as the previous person.

I also think the basic 93 Brand Hooks gi is a good value for the money.  Watch BJJHQ.com for daily deals on BBJ gis and equipment.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#32]

it will inevitably happen and there's not a lot you can do when they have +50 lbs on you (unless you are young and in top physical condition).

My advice to to study "sneaky" subs that you can hit from the bottom, baseball choke, kimura, wrist locks, collar chokes, anything you can hit to make the guy submit or get off balance and open up other opportunities. One of my favorites is to pretend to go for the kimura from closed guard and hit a wrist lock instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RtV6pJppho
View All Quotes

Thank you both for your input. Ive been putting it into play recently.  Still haven't pulled off that baseball choke for the bottom yet.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:45:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: navvet89] [#33]
Thank you both for your input. Ive been putting it into play recently.  Still haven't pulled off that baseball choke for the bottom yet.
View All Quotes

It's actually pretty easy (until they get caught once or twice), I set it up like this from the closed guard:
1) break their posture down so you can get your grips in
2) "fake" a standard scissor sweep but move your foot just a little too far towards their navel
3) A "smart" player will push the foot by and pass thinking they are getting side control and you crank in the baseball instead.
4) Be careful, if they jump to mount and crawl up you'll lose the choke, if I can I rotate all the way around when they go for side control and I end up on top (big circle)

eta:

the sneaky stuff is what keeps me alive, I cant go scramble for scramble, too old for that. I hit all kinds of loop chokes, kimura-to-wrist-locks, baseball, ezekial from all angles etc. My professor is good about faking a sub so you lead them into something else and that's typically how I try and roll it. Fake the first thing and then hit them with the second.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Had my Birthday Party at the Dojo last night. 61YO, also tested and passed for Shodan.

[/URL]" />
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Had my Birthday Party at the Dojo last night. 61YO, also tested and passed for Shodan.

http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w619/mx5spd/shodan%20Test_zpsvqhd9sxx.jpg" target="_blank">http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/mx5spd/media/shodan%20Test_zpsvqhd9sxx.jpg.html]http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w619/mx5spd/shodan%20Test_zpsvqhd9sxx.jpg[/url]
View Quote
Hespect
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#36]

http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w619/mx5spd/shodan%20Test_zpsvqhd9sxx.jpg" target="_blank">http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/mx5spd/media/shodan%20Test_zpsvqhd9sxx.jpg.html]http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w619/mx5spd/shodan%20Test_zpsvqhd9sxx.jpg[/url]
View Quote
The crutches at the Judo dojo are quite fitting lol
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By CozumelSteve:

The crutches at the Judo dojo are quite fitting lol
View Quote
Yeah, that's what happens when you concentrate on standup work. My coach was just warming up and we heard his knee pop all the way across the Dojo.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Ok, so I'm getting back in the game.

My job has me frequently traveling to NYC, there are some really great schools within walking distance of my office so I'm going to be picking up a few classes up there.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:29:39 AM EDT
[#39]

My job has me frequently traveling to NYC, there are some really great schools within walking distance of my office so I'm going to be picking up a few classes up there.
View Quote
Reprort back please. I really want to drop in at Marcelos and Renzos some day. One of the brown belt instrucors has been to both and said they were both amazing.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Report back please. I really want to drop in at Marcelos and Renzos some day. One of the brown belt instructors has been to both and said they were both amazing.
View All Quotes

Report back please. I really want to drop in at Marcelos and Renzos some day. One of the brown belt instructors has been to both and said they were both amazing.
I'll be sure to report here.

I saw those schools but Im going to try Unity Jiu Jitsu first which is in the same area.  It's about six blocks from where my hotel normally is and I've checked the website and swapped some emails with them, I'm liking the vibe of the place so far.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#41]
I'll be sure to report here.

I saw those schools but Im going to try Unity Jiu Jitsu first which is in the same area.  It's about six blocks from where my hotel normally is and I've checked the website and swapped some emails with them, I'm liking the vibe of the place so far.
View Quote
Yeah Leandro Lo the Miyao bros Unity would be awesome too.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:06:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Got another stripe on my white belt last night, I have three now.

My coach said he saw that I was improving with my attack set ups, take downs, and technicality of escapes. It's good to hear that I'm improving. Its tough to notice your own improvement while your doing it, because your training partners are improving too.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:16:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Got another stripe on my white belt last night, I have three now.

My coach said he saw that I was improving with my attack set ups, take downs, and technicality of escapes. It's good to hear that I'm improving. Its tough to notice your own improvement while your doing it, because your training partners are improving too.
View Quote
True.
I have been doing 10th Planet jiu jitsu for about 8 months.
I'll be doing my second tournament at Naga Cincinnati next month.
(Old Dude division)
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:47:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: navvet89] [#44]
I'm seeing a homeopathic wellness doc trying to get my RA under control, she does Chiropractic, cupping, needling, diet, etc.

I'm down a solid 9 lbs so far, trained last night for the first time in six months and fell pretty good.

I'm cutting sugar, dairy, processed carbs and peppers of all kinds for sixty days to try and prevent arthritis flares.

I'm on the way back up.

Just turned 48, 5' 10", 221lbs, one stripe blue belt.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm seeing a homeopathic wellness doc trying to get my RA under control, she does Chiropractic, cupping, needling, diet, etc.

I'm down a solid 9 lbs so far, trained last night for the first time in six months and fell pretty good.

I'm cutting sugar, dairy, processed carbs and peppers of all kinds for sixty days to try and prevent arthritis flares.

I'm on the way back up.

Just turned 48, 5' 10", 221lbs, one stripe blue belt.
View Quote
I don't think I have RA, but a bunch of old injuries that tend to cause issues.  I've found if I train every other day, the pain is tolerable and my performance is good.  When I go multiple days in a row is when I get slow, sloppy, sore as fuck and the likely hood of getting smashed/tapped goes way up.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:14:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Does anyone have a fix for matt / gi burn on fingers and toes?
View Quote
Paint them with a few coats of clear nail polish before rolling.
It protects them way better than anything else and stays on even when you sweat.
I've been doing that for years and never had an issue and they heal up much faster.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:28:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Our gym is primarily no-gi MMA style Jiu-Jitsu so we don't do belts but I routinely compete and hold my own with purples at tournaments (I can usually wad up a blue and get smashed by brown).
I do a lot of MMA grappling (BJJ, Judo, Wrestling combo) and Muay-Thai.
I'm 47 and slowing down a bit speed wise, but my cardio is at a very high level and I have "old man strength".

Here I am competing in a tournament (over 35, <185#, Advanced, no-gi) I took second.
I'm in the red/black, the guy in brown shorts took first pulling guard and catching me with a triangle.

Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By NM_desert_rat:
It protects them way better than anything else and stays on even when you sweat.
I've been doing that for years and never had an issue and they heal up much faster.
View All Quotes
Does anyone have a fix for matt / gi burn on fingers and toes?
Learn how to not drag your digits on the mats.

The type of mat plays a big part imho but you can still get burns if you drag yourself.

I tend to use neosporin or similar and keep them covered between trainign sessions so they'll heal, you can bandage and tape them for practice if they are bad enough so you dont re-open them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Our gym is primarily no-gi MMA style Jiu-Jitsu so we don't do belts but I routinely compete and hold my own with purples at tournaments (I can usually wad up a blue and get smashed by brown).
I do a lot of MMA grappling (BJJ, Judo, Wrestling combo) and Muay-Thai.
I'm 47 and slowing down a bit speed wise, but my cardio is at a very high level and I have "old man strength".

Here I am competing in a tournament (over 35, <185#, Advanced, no-gi) I took second.
I'm in the red/black, the guy in brown shorts took first pulling guard and catching me with a triangle.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/458573/grapplefest-111437.jpg
View Quote
Filthy Guard Puller™
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:06:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Learn how to not drag your digits on the mats.
View Quote
Do 30 minutes of practicing single and double leg shots (and sprawls) and I don't care who you are, the tops of your toes are gonna be burned at some point.
Page / 36
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top