Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2013 4:33:13 PM EDT
Took an injury and will b forced to shoot lefty for a while - figure its a good skill to acquire and since I don't have much of choice why not give it a try. Any advice for training resources, techniques &c?

Link Posted: 7/12/2013 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#1]
start dry firing with your left hand and start practicing weapon manipulation with your left hand as primary (use dummy rounds)

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#2]
pull your right hand up to your heart with a closed fist, lock your left elbow, scrunch up a bit your sights should come right In line

I have difficulty with long guns in traversing right to left..pistol was easy in comparison.
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By bigbluedadEo:
Took an injury and will b forced to shoot lefty for a while - figure its a good skill to acquire and since I don't have much of choice why not give it a try. Any advice for training resources, techniques &c?

The things you were doing with your right hand- do them with your left.

No, seriously- you have a great opportunity here, because it sounds like you haven't done much with your left hand/ left eye. That means you shouldn't have any bad habits build up lefty. I would definitely recommend starting from 0. All the basic fundamentals as if you were a new shooter, and go SLOW. Allow time to build the proper muscle memory. I would start with handling/operation/dry fire until you can perform the following tasks safely and comfortably: Clearing the weapon, loading the weapon & magazine (dummy rds for dry fire), Reload and reduce BASIC stoppages, Safety and Trigger manipulation (pay special attention to follow through and trigger reset).

Once that is comfortable, then head to the range and perform the same tasks with live rounds. I'd spend the first day on the range just shooting 5-10 round groups until you are grouping consistently and you are comfortable.

I've seen guys who have spent 8-10 years of a military career switch primary sides, it will be a little frustrating at first- but it will work out.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 5:08:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Artifex] [#4]
There is a series of articles being written  specifically about left-handed shooting and firearms manipulations.  The first one is here: http://adaptivedefenseconcepts.com/sinister-studies-serious-scrutiny-into-southpaw-shooting-part-1/ hope that helps.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I am left handed but I have to do a lot of instructing right handed. After you build the muscle memory, it's pretty easy to switch hit. While you are at it, learn one handed manipulations too. Just take your time and do as much work as you can dry or with safety trainers until you feel comfortable going hot.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:43:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I recently lost use of my dominant right arm following an emergency neck surgery. Most advice, videos, training and more address the lefty scenario in unrealistic terms and are not helpful to the shooter with one (weakside) arm only. After great searching; there is nothing helpful for a weak side only training. A few videos show to activate the sllde using your sights against the heel of your shoes but I don't sleep in my shoes and might not get them on fast enough against an invader. I instead work the slide in my boxers against the doorstop, bedside tabletop and other ways more realistic. I have found hitting the mag release button a much harder task one handed and have practiced and found my middle finger on the left hand works best. Holding the weapon and reloading is slick if you have time to mount your holster but a pistol and a mag one handed is altogether another story. Don't want to ramble but just wanted to say from my searching there is a void concerning this subject.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in a similar situation with a broken right scaphoid (wrist) right now.
Considered switching my mag release over on my MP45 and keep shooting matches
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:37:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Artifex] [#8]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#9]
That article did have some good info. I have found I do better by canting my pistol barrel inward but only slightly and not so much that my knuckles obscure the next target or impede downrange vision. This also moves extracted casings downward and not horizontally across your visual pathway.

So many of these articles are based at the range where you are fitted with the perfect belt or shoes for slide manipulations. Shooters are wearing pants tough enough and give some padding for slide manipulations behind your knee but it is completely different doing this against a bare hairy leg as might happen at home in the middle of the night while awoken from sleep. Stripping out an empty mag is also much easier while assistance from your belt which is never mounted to your P.J's.

Many of these instructions need to be practiced and into muscle memory but also seems a training scar based on the assistance of clothing, belts and shoes which would not be available during sleep and surely I'm not the only hot blooded Patriot sitting at home in my gym shorts and tank top for ventilation.

Thanks for that article. It is one I will save.

Yourn,
Joey Jingles
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#10]
That is a good point about the clothing.  It could be done on bare skin but yes, it might leave a mark.   If I have to do a one-handed malfunction clearance, I'm probably already in trouble and some abraded skin on my hip or leg is the least of my worries.

That does bring up using alternative surfaces.  One of my favorite scenes in the movie Valkyrie is where Tom Cruise's character racks the slide of his PPK by pushing the front of the slide onto a desk.  It would be good to occasionally practice one-handed malfunction clearance using anything but yourself - forcing you to find objects in the vicinity suitable for  the purpose.   I think in an emergency, folks with any one-handed manipulation training would figure it out,  but it's always good to train some muscle memory, as the logic circuits may not be fully functional in the midst of such a situation.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Well said mi Amigo . Ditto on the Valkyrie scene.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top