Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2017 1:42:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jfor]
So I am sitting here looking at different shooting sports I can get into. i had surgery on my right ankle last Friday so I have lots of time to look. From the little bit of looking I have done, it seems that USPSA is what I will be most interested in. I have never done any competitive shooting. I currently have a SIG P320 and a total of 5 mags. What other equipment will I need? Seeing as how it will be at least 2 months before I will be back on both feet I'd like to get started acquiring "stuff". i do already electronic ear-pro. What do recommend for belts, holsters and mag holsters? I live just south of Huntsville, AL and I did look on the USPSA site and it looks like there is an indoor range that does shoots on regular wednesday night basis and one that does shoots about every 3rd weekend. There are also some clubs that do USPSA shoots down in the Birmingham area. So as far as competitions locally, there seems to be plenty within an hours drive here in North Alabama.

**ETA**  

What class should I look at starting in? My pistol is stock other than replacing the sights with a black rear sight and fiver optic front sight.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 3:11:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gunnut1965] [#1]
I'm also in the HSV area and shoot USPSA on a regular basis:

Rocket City Practical Shooters (Woodville, AL):  2nd Saturday
Last Resort Guns (Madison indoor):  1st, 2nd, and 3rd Wed
Steel City (Hoover, AL):  1st Saturday
Talladega Practical Shooters (CMP Range):  3rd Saturday
North Tennessee Practical Shooters (Chapel Hill, TN):  3rd Saturday
Cross Roads Sports Shooting Assoc. (Corinth, MS):  2nd Sunday and 3rd Saturday

You can also shoot in the Atlanta Area with a 3.5 hr drive.

I recommend most folks start out shooting Limited Minor as it just simplifies everything when you're new.   You need fewer mags and it simplifies stage planning since you only have to worry about maybe 1 reload per stage.   By the way, it's a division and not a class.  Your class is a measure of how well you shoot the classifier stages at a match.   I'd suggest coming out and watching a few times while your ankle heals up.  It will give you some good perspective for when your ready to shoot.

As far as a rig, this one is hard to beat:  Ben Stoeger Pro Shop

Welcome to the addiction . . .
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you would be pretty well set to start out in production division.  As for gear, a basic kydex holster and a couple kydex double mag pouches will get you going.    If you already have a decent gun belt that will work.   You do not need a fancy dedicated holster belt at all.   I would suggest spending some of your down time reading through the rule book to familiarize yourself with them.   USPSA does have some rules that can seem odd to anyone that hasn't done organized competition before.  Specifically the rules on safe areas and gun handing outside a course of fire.  There are also some videos on Youtube of what to expect your first match.

Even if it will be a while before you are physically able to participate, try to stop out at a local match.  Talk with the folks there and it may help you out some more.

Oh, dry fire can be your friend.  Sounds like you have the perfect opportunity to start working on that.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 3:52:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys for the info! The biggest problem for me is I am home bound and can't drive anywhere and my wife has ZERO interest. I might be able to get a buddy to take me to a match to check it out. Thanks a ton!
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I started out with a paddle holster and a combination of belt and paddle mag holders. An actual velcro belt with decent holster and mag holders can come later. You will need to spend a ton of time on practice, technique, and learning about the game long before your equipment plays a significant factor in your performance. Invest in a timer, snap caps, and membership to a local club where you can actually draw from a holster, stand in front of the normal firing line, set up your own targets, and move while shooting. Learn everything you can about drills and what they do for you. It won't be until you discover your weaknesses that you find out where you need the most work.

Hands down, your largest expense will be ammunition.

I hear people talk about shooting limited minor with production equipment, but not sure why it's such a big deal. if you're going to shoot production, just do it. Reloads aren't dangerous and new shooters typically shoot last on each stage for your first match. Stage planning for a beginner isn't that big of a deal and they need to learn it anyway. As far as reloading, you should practice it every chance you get, why not be doing it in a match?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Piratepast40:

.........new shooters typically shoot last on each stage for your first match..........?
View Quote
Ha!   My first match i was the first shooter.   Nerves were going, but it actually went pretty well.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:18:25 PM EDT
[#6]
See if there is a steel challenge or something similar. The matches aren't as intense and you shoot standing in a box instead of running through the string. Our club does something called speed steel. It's similar to USPSA steel challenge but with looser rules so not sanctioned. There is less chance for breaking the 180, not as much stage complexity, and no reloading while moving. But there is still the adrenaline rush of the timer and competition. You still need to have the patience to obtain a sight picture for each shot and you need to transition rapidly. If you've got a bum leg and don't want to draw, you can shoot from the ready position. It's a different division but you're really not in it to break any records, just to gain experience and learn how to work under stress.

If you ask for it, people will be glad to help you. If you don't want criticism, they're good at that too. At least they're that way where I go. It really is a lot of fun and chance to be with some great people.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:40:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By gunnut1965:

I recommend most folks start out shooting Limited Minor as it just simplifies everything when you're new.   You need fewer mags and it simplifies stage planning since you only have to worry about maybe 1 reload per stage.   By the way, it's a division and not a class.  Your class is a measure of how well you shoot the classifier stages at a match.   I'd suggest coming out and watching a few times while your ankle heals up.  It will give you some good perspective for when your ready to shoot.

View Quote
I agree on shooting limited until you get a feel for it. If it all instantly clicks the gun fits best in production.

Mine came with a holster that is more than adequate and I think a double mag pouch as well. You'll need at least another double pouch.

Most production rigs are at least 5 spare mags and single pouches seem to be more popular.

Don't get fancy on gear. It will be tough with a bum foot. Other than that it's a blast
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:06:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By gunnut1965:

View Quote
Rather than type the same thing he did I'll just say I agree with all of it. 

That being said I like to shoot Limited. That's where the majority of competition is locally for me. If you have bigger clubs (which I'm sure you do) you'll probably find plenty of competition in Production as well.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:24:40 AM EDT
[#9]
OP I started shooting local USPSA matches last year, Production division. At first I used a SIG M11-A1, in a Blackpoint Tactical OWB holster and a couple of cheap SIG double mag pouches on a Wilderness Instructors belt.
Now I use a P320 full size with a Bladetech holster on a drop offset hanger on the same Wilderness belt and the same cheap mag pouches, still Production.
FWIW, I have just got ranked as "C" in production, but I use these matches to have fun and training. IMHO, you don't need to spend a lot to learn and have fun.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#10]
With all the issues regarding the SIG P320 and waiting to send it off for voluntary "upgrade" work, I decided to pick up another pistol. I get my cast off in 3 weeks and want to be able you start shooting.

Went by my local gun store and they had LEO trade in Glock's. All were in .40 SW. I picked up a G35 gen 4 for $500 OTD. Pretty excited to start working with this gun. As far as shootinh production, can I use a 9mm conversion barrel in it or do I just need to stick with .40?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Jfor:
With all the issues regarding the SIG P320 and waiting to send it off for voluntary "upgrade" work, I decided to pick up another pistol. I get my cast off in 3 weeks and want to be able you start shooting.

Went by my local gun store and they had LEO trade in Glock's. All were in .40 SW. I picked up a G35 gen 4 for $500 OTD. Pretty excited to start working with this gun. As far as shootinh production, can I use a 9mm conversion barrel in it or do I just need to stick with .40?
View Quote
Since you're already shooting .40, go ahead and shoot limited major. No sense on spending even more on a gun. Unless you're an exceptional shooter already, you have a long way to go before you can outshoot your gun.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Not exceptional at all. Just asking if 9 would be better than 40 for competition, if so, would a conversion barrel be legal?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Not exceptional at all. Just asking if 9 would be better than 40 for competition, if so, would a conversion barrel be legal?
View Quote
I'm saying that it doesn't really matter. It's not the gun or the division, it's about you and competing. Whatever you have will be fine. The important thing is to get started with the process. Start learning and enjoying the sport.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
Conversion barrel is not legal for production. Stupid rule.

If you reload you can load up some 40 minor loads which is super soft shooting. You can shoot factory 40 in production of course but the added recoil makes it a little slower. The gun probably best fits in Limited but then you are looking at mag extensions and all kinds of stuff down the limited rabbit hole.

If you want to load the mags up just shoot limited and don't worry about it if not load 10 and shoot production. You will figure out where you belong as you go.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#15]
With the G35, Limited or Limited 10 is the best fit with factory or major power factor ammo.  Mag extensions are nice but not a necessity to get started.  15+1 will get you through 2 shooting positions if you make every shot count.  Regular kydex holster and mag pouches will get you shooting until you decide if you want a race rig with the fancy holster and mag pouches.

The key take away is just to get started.  Gear may make a small difference but it will not be noticeable when you are just starting out.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Limited/Major has nicer scoring too.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks ya'll! Right now I am just dry firing, dry firing and then dry firing some more. As soon as the cast comes off I am hoping to be able to get out to the range and start shooting.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Thought I would chime in, even if it may be slightly off topic for others considering USPSA.

I shot my first even match last weekend. Used my stock HD XD .45 with factory 13 round mags. I shot in Limited Major using rounds which replicated the recoil of my 230gr HST's.

It was addictingly fun. The first 2 stages I shot OK, but basically walked the course, fumbled reloads and second guessed my self. The next couple, I moved faster, but shot like crap, including the classifier. The last stage I shot awesome, and wasn't fast, but wasn't slow. I didn't bother gaming any of the stages (One involved the gun being unloaded, and the mags on a table. I just put my mags back in the pouches, loaded and went). Shooting Alphas feels awesome, and I think the stages and competition could really help my shooting. That being said, looking at the scoring, it appears just hitting the target anywhere, and being fast, counts for more then being accurate and slower.

I am going to try to be a monthly regular, if not try other clubs to get more matches. But, I will probably stick with my HD and CCW guns and shoot limited even though they are stock and have "undersized" mags. I am all for guys racing and competing, but I think I want it to be a little more real world applicable. I may shoot the next match with my EDC set up. IWB Gen 3 G26 with a 10 round mag, and 2 IWB 17 round G17 mags, just for fun.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:10:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By monkeypunch:
That being said, looking at the scoring, it appears just hitting the target anywhere, and being fast, counts for more then being accurate and slower.

I am going to try to be a monthly regular, if not try other clubs to get more matches. But, I will probably stick with my HD and CCW guns and shoot limited even though they are stock and have "undersized" mags. I am all for guys racing and competing, but I think I want it to be a little more real world applicable. I may shoot the next match with my EDC set up. IWB Gen 3 G26 with a 10 round mag, and 2 IWB 17 round G17 mags, just for fun.
View Quote
To the first point that isn't really the case. While it may be true for a very low skilled shooter or most beginners the scoring system works just fine when you have a actual talent pool. I have seen matches lost because one guy shot a D or two.

To the second point I totally agree that it is a good idea to shoot matches with your carry guns if that is what you are looking to improve. However that being said I don't really see any reason not to pick the division that best fits the gun. That way you can actually have a bit of a measure to see how you do against people with similar equipment.

For your XD I would shoot production or limited 10. Around here production has a lot more shooters so that's what I would do. Extra mag changes are always good for practice. For your 26 I would basically do the same thing. You can use the 17 mags but load them to 10 and just shoot in production. Only downside to production and L10 is you really need at least four and maybe 5 mags but like I said everybody needs to work on their mag changes

Most important part is that you are out shooting. USPSA made me so much better. I like many thought I was decent and promptly classified C. After easily doubling my skill after a while I was still only a B. Life burned me out on shooting so I have been on a hiatus but after shooting a couple man on man steel matches I am feeling the itch again.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:59:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

To the first point that isn't really the case. While it may be true for a very low skilled shooter or most beginners the scoring system works just fine when you have a actual talent pool. I have seen matches lost because one guy shot a D or two.

To the second point I totally agree that it is a good idea to shoot matches with your carry guns if that is what you are looking to improve. However that being said I don't really see any reason not to pick the division that best fits the gun. That way you can actually have a bit of a measure to see how you do against people with similar equipment.

For your XD I would shoot production or limited 10. Around here production has a lot more shooters so that's what I would do. Extra mag changes are always good for practice. For your 26 I would basically do the same thing. You can use the 17 mags but load them to 10 and just shoot in production. Only downside to production and L10 is you really need at least four and maybe 5 mags but like I said everybody needs to work on their mag changes

Most important part is that you are out shooting. USPSA made me so much better. I like many thought I was decent and promptly classified C. After easily doubling my skill after a while I was still only a B. Life burned me out on shooting so I have been on a hiatus but after shooting a couple man on man steel matches I am feeling the itch again.
View Quote
In red is one of the main reason's I want to start competing. Since I have a Glock now I also plan to join GSSF and try shooting some of those matches as well. Still doing dry fire with the G35 and I have to say I am really liking the way this gun feels in my hands. It feels way, way better than the G19 gen 3 I used to have.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#21]
It'll definitely make you a better shooter.  

I don't know if i enjoy matches or practice more.  Probably about the same.  

I run my EDC Glock 19.   Sometimes I'll use my EDC IWB holster too to practice.  

I might throw in an IDPA match once a month to get more practice with that set up too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top