Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2016 11:20:09 PM EDT
Seeking recommendations for a concealment garment for IDPA.

New to sport.  Have found lots of 5+ year old recommendations for companies no longer in business.

Looking for current users and currently available vests...

Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/26/2016 11:39:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Cabelas Safari vest
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 12:01:53 AM EDT
[#2]
The "vest" is just a cover to comply with the concealed requirement; in AZ where it's hot, a vest it typically good enough.

In other words, it's not a technical piece of clothing, it's just there to cover your pistol/mags.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 7:06:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#3]
Two ways to go on this, either get a cheap one with just a couple pockets or go all in and get the one with more pockets than a suitcase full of clothes.  I ended up with both, And rarely use the cheapie.  Nice having extra pockets on the range for sure.  

I think the nicer one I have is a 5.11 brand, and LAPG had them for 50 bucks a few years ago.

This one, but now 80.00
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#4]
shotgun vest is what I use and then go to shoot clays with it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 9:56:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By reelserious:
View Quote

Unless the rules have changed, you cannot use a vest built specifically for shooting. They probably won't call you on this at local, small matches though. I have seen people use something as simple as an over sized button down shirt for concealment.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I cut the sleeves off a BDU jacket because I refuse to buy one of those vests.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By kyreb:

Unless the rules have changed, you cannot use a vest built specifically for shooting. They probably won't call you on this at local, small matches though. I have seen people use something as simple as an over sized button down shirt for concealment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kyreb:
Originally Posted By reelserious:

This (what I was trying to say, said in a better way).
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#9]
While they aren't specifically built for the purpose of shooting (they might as well be) everyone in IDPA for the most part uses the fishing or photography type vests. I don't because that's not something I'll ever wear in real life so during the winter time I wear the jacket I always wear during the winter.  During the summer it's a button up short sleeve shirt or the like.  Because that's the stuff I wear daily already.

But if you are looking for a vest to "play the game" then check out the link below.  Keep in mind you need to pass the "scarecrow test"............well in theory you do.  I've yet to see this check at any local event and I've seen plenty of people with holsters poking out from the bottom of a vest even when standing around with their arms at their sides.

Amazon Product
  • New lightweight Taclite 6.1-oz 65% polyester/35% cotton ropstop with Teflon finish
  • 17 Pockets accommodate AR mags, maps, sunglasses, phone, snacks, water bottles, binoculars, etc.
  • Quad-stitched, 55 bar tacks at all stress points

Link Posted: 1/3/2017 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Since Armadillo is taking very few orders these days, look at a 5.11 or Woolrich.

The pockets are mainly unimportant. You want something stiff enough that the entire side moves as you sweep it out of the way and long enough to easily cover the bottom of the holster when standing with your hands out (like a scarecrow).

You can just use a long shirt or cheap vest but it will sometimes hinder your draw or reload. If that is not important to you, Bass Pro sells a Redhead branded vest that I used for years. It costs about $30.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Anything that covers the gun with your arms out will do, I just wear a regular jacket. Even in the summer when its hot out i'll throw on a lightweight rain jacket or button down shirt.

Might be a little different if your shooting a state or national event.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I just wear a T-shirt and use an IWB holster.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:42:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 2ANut:
View Quote

Yup, I normally use my crossbreed supertuck and G19/23.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:26:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Do it with style.   Get an old sports coat from the thrift store, preferably one with leather patches on the elbows. 
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:02:23 AM EDT
[#15]
How about shooting IDPA the way you dress in real life?

Do you ever wear a light weight jacket?

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 2ANut:
View Quote

Same. This is how you should be doing it. Unless you typically walk around town in a fishing vest.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:23:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Depends... is this you trying to get some dynamic training and putting yourself against yourself or are you trying to play the game and win? I started out as the former. Glock 19 that was my real carry gun. I wore over shirts and used real carry holsters. It took about a year and I was shooting a Glock 34 in a Blade Tech holster being concealed by the IDPA embroidered Woolrich vest from the IDPA store. Both garments work great for their intended purpose, but be reminded their respective purposes are different.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:43:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R_S] [#18]
When I started IDPA, I used my carry gear... then some guys said how a vest was faster and this or that holster was faster... so I got a vest and fancy holster... which were faster

Years later I gave up on all that stuff and went back to my carry gear with full power ammo (ammo above the minimum power ratings) because:

#1. it gives me the chance to TEST my carry gear under stress
#2. it allows me to PRACTICE with my carry gear
#3. minimizes negative training (training to do things differently than what I would want to do in real life)

And even with my "slow" street gear and loud full power ammo I've won my division on several occasions at local matches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top