Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2016 12:38:15 PM EDT
https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-announcements-details.php?Important-Announcement-from-the-USPSA-President-282

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:48:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting. Looks like Foley is ready to bail on IPSC.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I assure you IPSC affiliation is one of his lowest priorities.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#3]
IPSC President response in blue

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't mind some language, this is an interesting read:  http://www.doodieproject.com/index.php?/topic/5048-uspsa-vs-ipsc-cage-match/

My take on this is that IPSC has chosen to interpret USPSA approving a match (i.e. approving stages that meet USPSA rules) and allowing DNROI to attend as RM as USPSA instigating the match.  It also appears that they want USPSA to tell the club in the Philippines that they cannot run USPSA matches (which is why the "passively sanction" is in the new ruling).  I'm not sure I agree with that as it is not really practical to force them to not use USPSA rules etc.

At the end of the day this doesn't really affect me as I am certainly not good enough to earn a slot to the world shoot and while I do travel internationally and was considering shooting an IPSC Match in New Zealand earlier this year I decided getting setup to be IPSC legal  and traveling with a gun to New Zealand was not worth the effort.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:10:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: whiskerz] [#5]
I got about 1/2 way through and gave up . I am a member of neither group . I shoot the local indoor USPSA match a few times a year . It is a 2 stage event . I hate the scoring . I somehow finished mid pack  dead in the middle on 1 stage and about 6 up from the bottom on the other and ended up second from the bottom in the combined . I am pretty sure that is fuzzy math. How my combined is lower than my worst is amazing . Also when the winner has misses and no shoot target hits the scoring system needs a change .  I wonder if I could just stand still and mag dump and win. I finished 11 out of 19 this past Thursday and was the highest ranking non member and non regular .  I did not shoot 1 target that was behind a barricade my fault
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
I got about 1/2 way through and gave up . I am a member of neither group . I shoot the local indoor USPSA match a few times a year . It is a 2 stage event . I hate the scoring . I somehow finished mid pack  dead in the middle on 1 stage and about 6 up from the bottom on the other and ended up second from the bottom in the combined . I am pretty sure that is fuzzy math. How my combined is lower than my worst is amazing . Also when the winner has misses and no shoot target hits the scoring system needs a change .  I wonder if I could just stand still and mag dump and win. I finished 11 out of 19 this past Thursday and was the highest ranking non member and non regular .  I did not shoot 1 target that was behind a barricade my fault
View Quote

Scoring is simply time and hits. In USPSA you CAN miss fast enough to win. Your placing in rest of the match is only relevant based on the where everyone else came out on the stages also. If everyone had a particularly shitty stage, your worst stage could certainly be higher than your overall place.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By Wipeout:
Scoring is simply time and hits. In USPSA you CAN miss fast enough to win. Your placing in rest of the match is only relevant based on the where everyone else came out on the stages also. If everyone had a particularly shitty stage, your worst stage could certainly be higher than your overall place.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:54:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wipeout] [#8]
Originally Posted By mcb:

View All Quotes

Not uncommon for open guys to come out with Mikes and No shoots and still win the stage
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Know very little about IPSC. Hate to see fighting between shooters.

Not uncommon for open guys to come out with Mikes and No shoots and still win the stage
View All Quotes

Not at the bigger matches that I have been to. Maybe at a local match without much talent you could get away with it but mikes and no shoots can kill a good score quickly.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Not fuzzy math at all.  It takes a while to learn the scoring system.

It's the same way a guy can not win any stages and still win the overall.  USPSA scoring rewards consistency instead of a hero or zero approach.

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

Not really, at least not anywhere that's competitive, and especially not at major matches.

When guys win with lots of penalties, it says more about the level of competition than the scoring system.

Hit factor scoring is brilliant and beautiful.  Like I said, it takes time and experience to really learn it, but there's nothing like it.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 3:26:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By wtturn:
When guys win with lots of penalties, it says more about the level of competition than the scoring system.
View Quote

Worth repeating. This is very much the truth, and really only happens to some local hero in a Podunk club where the members just turn up to shoot guns.
(nothing wrong with this) But it's like judging baseball based on watching a work social team play, and win against other social teams.

Generally I have noticed;
Have a single miss in Open, and you are out of the placing in the whole Match.
Have a single miss in standard/limited, you just have to pray that someone messes up as badly as you, to keep you in contention.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Young-Kiwi:

Worth repeating. This is very much the truth, and really only happens to some local hero in a Podunk club where the members just turn up to shoot guns.
(nothing wrong with this) But it's like judging baseball based on watching a work social team play, and win against other social teams.

Have a single miss in standard/limited, you just have to pray that someone messes up as badly as you, to keep you in contention.
View All Quotes

Open Division high overall match winner at the 2016 Nationals had 5 misses.  But I understand what you mean.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Not really, at least not anywhere that's competitive, and especially not at major matches.

Hit factor scoring is brilliant and beautiful.  Like I said, it takes time and experience to really learn it, but there's nothing like it.  
View All Quotes

Take your hit factor for each stage, add them all together.  That is your final score.  Rank order the shooters first to last.  First place has the highest cumulative hit factor.

Yes, I do get the idea of stage points and percentages (to make a long field course kinda equal to a stand and deliver 6 round hosefest stage, or vice versa).

Link Posted: 11/1/2016 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Razzman1:

Open Division high overall match winner at the 2016 Nationals had 5 misses.  But I understand what you mean.
View All Quotes

Did the other top shooters have misses as well?
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By WeimaranerDad:
Take your hit factor for each stage, add them all together.  That is your final score.  Rank order the shooters first to last.  First place has the highest cumulative hit factor.

Yes, I do get the idea of stage points and percentages (to make a long field course kinda equal to a stand and deliver 6 round hosefest stage, or vice versa).

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WeimaranerDad:

No thanks.

That's basically the opposite of how it works.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#17]
A stand and deliver standards type stage could be a hit factor of say 10 to maybe 15.

A long field course with lots of movement between arrays could be like a max of 5 hit factor, let's say.

The current stage points system balance that out.

A few years ago, I added the HF's together for the top 5 finishers at some Nationals type event.

The #1 shooter didn't have the highest cumulative HF.

And "drilling down" a bit deeper, like the #3 and #4 guys flipped places when going by cumulative hit factor.

Anyway....my point is for the USPSA newbs posting in this thread, there is a thing with EZwinscore or Practiscore when it calculates the combined overall results where people can flip flop places.  At least with EZwinscore, it always had a disclaimer with at the top:  "UNofficial combined results".

Me? Personally?  I really liked or like time plus scoring.  USPSA multi-gun finally got with that program (and away from strictly hit factor scoring) at least 3 years ago.  

There is a lot of built up inertia (with the classification system) for the handgun side of things to ever get away from hit factor scoring.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Cumulative HF is NOT how USPSA scoring works....
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 7:39:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Umm, ya.  It's pretty rare for a top shooter to have a perfectly clean match.  While no one strives to shoot a miss or a no-shoot, most top shooters will say that shooting a perfect match likely means you are shooting too conservatively--too safe.  It's a game, not a gun fight, and the goal is to win.  K.C. Eusubio is a pretty good example.  He might have a miss or two in an individual STAGE, and still beat the hell out of everyone else because he is so fast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top