Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2016 11:21:21 PM EDT
I'm looking at 185 or 200gr SWC for some IDPA and general shooting.  I want to use the Missouri coated bullets with Bullseye as its the only pistol powder I have now to start.  I'll be shooting a Ruger 1911 full size.

I'm looking for feedback on the SWC vs ball for this type of shooting as well as loads with BE.  I've pulled some info off the net but looking for more personal experience.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 6:04:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I currently shoot 230gr rn out of my 1911 but use to shoot a lot of 200gr swc. Stick with the 200gr if those are your choices as lighter bullets you have to push a little faster to maintain power factor which generally creates a little snappier recoil. Nothing major, but I'll think you'll find that you prefer the 200gr bullets. I haven't really seen any accuracy issues that would force me to pick one over the other either, this isn't Bullseye shooting. Sorry but I have no reloading data or input for your powder as I just use Titegroup no matter the pistol caliber I'm shooting.

Good luck, don't take yourself too serious and have fun!
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#2]
IDPA and USPSA-IPSC power factors are based on momentum

unless you're shooting an open division comp'd racegun ( which doesn't exsist in IDPA) ...you want a heavy bullet
and a fast burning powder

try a 230gr

my 45ACP IDPA, IPSC load is a 230gr with 3.8gr of CLAYS

shoots so soft you'll swear its minor, but it makes major

accurate, affordable, clean burning, low muzzle flash

Link Posted: 4/2/2016 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks I've ordered some 200gr SWCs and ball to see which works better and try to find one other powder to try out.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:17:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks I've ordered some 200gr SWCs and ball to see which works better and try to find one other powder to try out.
View Quote

I shot (IPSC) 200grSWC's for years, with win231,  they make nice big holes in the cardboard
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top