Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2015 1:39:01 PM EDT
For 25 years I have wanted to compete in various shooting sports, but virtually all events are scheduled on Sundays.

This poll is for those who observe the Sabbath.
If you are not a Sabbath observer that's fine, but this is not the poll you're looking for.  
I already know who this issue DOESN'T effect, as they can be found at Sunday events. (And you are all great people and I'm not here to judge anyone)
I'd just like to know how many others here wish to compete, but are frustrated by the Sunday-only event culture.

(will edit to add poll)
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#1]
My God is pro 2A, so it is okay!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:18:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Saturday, Donny, is Shabbos, the Jewish day of rest. That means that I
don't work, I don't drive a car, I don't fucking ride in a car, I don't
handle money, I don't turn on the oven, and I sure as shit *don't
fucking roll*!

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#3]
When I do make it to church we usually get food and go shoot after, but I will not have a job that works on a sun.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#4]
My reason is more practical, I'm on the church volunteer staff and USPSA events are always Sunday mornings. I love shooting, but I have priorities.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:17:33 PM EDT
[#5]
You know there are matches on week nights and Saturdays?
In my area I can shoot IDPA on 2 weeknights at indoor ranges every week and 2 Saturdays each month.
I can shoot steel on 1 sat a month.
I can shoot 3 gun on one Saturday a month.
The only things shot exclusively on Sun is USPSA.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Kinda poll fail.
The Sabbath is from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday.
Sunday is not in the equation.

While old testament Jews were not supposed to do certain activities during that period, I see no good reason for you to apply old testament rules to your life and an altogether different day of worship if you claim to be a Christian.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Catholic.  Saturday evening Mass.

Win!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kinda poll fail.
The Sabbath is from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday.
Sunday is not in the equation.

While old testament Jews were not supposed to do certain activities during that period, I see no good reason for you to apply old testament rules to your life and an altogether different day of worship if you claim to be a Christian.
View Quote

I did my best to show respect and accommodate everyone.  There is a poll option for you, listed as "I observe Sabbath on a different day."  
As to why Christians observe their Sabbath on Sunday, well it started with the Apostle Paul, the head of Christ's church. Christians consider him a prophet of Jehovah and are pretty big on following his council.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You know there are matches on week nights and Saturdays?
View Quote

Not where I live.
There is some benchrest and cowboy on Saturdays, but all other disciplines are on Sundays.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My God is pro 2A, so it is okay!
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 12:36:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Matches take time to set up. It's usually the same 5% who set every match up for the 95%.

It's much easier to get setup help on Saturday than on Friday.

If there is an exception, it's usually a situation where the match director is retired and has some good retired people who can help him set up during the week.

I don't know your geographical constraints. If you are near a major city there could be an indoor match going on during the week.

I know a shooter who goes to an 8 am sermon. He preregisters, and shows up during the shooters meeting.

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 1:38:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For 25 years I have wanted to compete in various shooting sports, but virtually all events are scheduled on Sundays.

This poll is for those who observe the Sabbath.
If you are not a Sabbath observer that's fine, but this is not the poll you're looking for.  
I already know who this issue DOESN'T effect, as they can be found at Sunday events. (And you are all great people and I'm not here to judge anyone)
I'd just like to know how many others here wish to compete, but are frustrated by the Sunday-only event culture.

(will edit to add poll)
View Quote

The Sabbath is a day of rest.  Is this what you do for rest and relaxation?  Have you prayed about this?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I listen to my sermon on the radio on match day.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Matches take time to set up. It's usually the same 5% who set every match up for the 95%.
View Quote
My drive is an hour, I can't dedicate another several hours to setup, but I always help take down.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I used to drive half way across the state for a Saturday match rather than 20 minutes for a Sunday match.  

Now I live somewhere that has a Saturday match USPSA once a month that's only 30 minutes away.  Even better, the IDPA club shoots Sunday so they often ask us to leave the stages up after we are done.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#16]
The Sabbath is the last day of the week, Saturday.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I work Tuesday through Saturday. Off Sunday Monday. I usually miss church twice a month for shooting sports. They make radio podcast
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Google definition:

"a day of religious observance and abstinence from work, kept by Jews from Friday evening to Saturday evening, and by most Christians on Sunday."

Shooting matches is FUN, not work....at least for most of us.

Shooting matches is good for reducing work induced stress and blood pressure.

Shooting matches increases my gun handling skills, which could possibly allow me to protect other good folks.

also,,,,there's plenty of prayers at USPSA matches, especially for those not savvy with shooting the texas star

My wife encourages me to shoot,  because she knows it allows me to blow off some stream and have some fun.

she says I get too grumpy when I don't shoot.  

so....shooting makes me a better husband and father.

still....family comes first

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I miss every other week at church to shoot USPSA during the summer. Not a big deal to me, but I'm not a hardcore every Sunday church goer anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top