Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2014 1:56:01 PM EDT
So much more fun than USPSA pistol.

Right now I'm just using a Glock 17 with standard 17-round mags. a 16" middy with irons and an 870 express with a +2 mag extension. Local club usually has about 50 shooters show up for the matches. Only done it three times so far but loving it and broke into the top 10 for the first time last weekend (in spite of one failure to engage which is a huge penalty at this club).

Have a question about scoring: This club if you fail to shoot at a target it is a +30 second penalty AND a +5 for paper or +10 for steel.  So total penalty is +35 for paper targets and +40 for steel targets. I was told they did this after some gamers were simply not shooting at "hard" to hit targets and taking the time penalty because it was less than the time they believed it would take to hit the target. Is this common in 3-gun?

Seems like a good idea to me. but I'm slow as hell trying to make sure I get my hits, dont forget a target and dont hit a no shoot.

Oh, a 6+1 870 sucks shooting against 8+1 semi autos!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Not unusual, my local matches are mostly close quarters with very occasional shots out to ~125yd.  We have 10sec penalty for failures.

Our 2/3gun scoring might be a little different, we use IDPA full and half size targets.  One hit in the "A" is a kill, or two anywhere on target.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:57:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Not uncommon.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Right now I'm just using a Glock 17 with standard 17-round mags. a 16" middy with irons and an 870 express with a +2 mag extension. Local club usually has about 50 shooters show up for the matches. Only done it three times so far but loving it and broke into the top 10 for the first time last weekend (in spite of one failure to engage which is a huge penalty at this club).

Have a question about scoring: This club if you fail to shoot at a target it is a +30 second penalty AND a +5 for paper or +10 for steel.  So total penalty is +35 for paper targets and +40 for steel targets. I was told they did this after some gamers were simply not shooting at "hard" to hit targets and taking the time penalty because it was less than the time they believed it would take to hit the target. Is this common in 3-gun?

Seems like a good idea to me. but I'm slow as hell trying to make sure I get my hits, dont forget a target and dont hit a no shoot.

View Quote

I wouldn't say it's uncommon and I wish more clubs would score it like that.

Also, yeah... an 870 is far from a gamer gun and the times will reflect that.  However, I keep running my 870 because that's what I use in real life, I'm used to it, and I don't want to change.  I tend to make up for it because I'm pretty fast with a handgun.  That usually keeps me in the top 5 at my local matches, but I'm not kidding myself about what my times would be in a major match.

If you want to be fast and care a lot about points, save up for good semi-auto with a huge ass mag tube.  If you use an 870, don't care to change and just want to get better with your real world gear, then run it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:50:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote
Welcome to the sport,,, Our local match has Pump and auto, separate,,

its all good, play the game have fun! that is the most important part.

As you shoot more matches, you will upgrade your toys!

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:10:27 AM EDT
[#5]
shotgun = who can reload the fastest.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:39:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

shotgun = who can reload the fastest.
View Quote
no joke, loading weak hand or strong hand 4 at a time was once the standard,

now its load 2     4    and some folks are working on holding and loading 6

I'm doing load 2 and it is working well for me,

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top