Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2014 4:45:00 PM EDT
I want to start shooting USPSA Limited class. Is I shoot 9mm vs. .40 in that class, how big of a disadvantage does shooting the minor power factor put me at?
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The answer is it depends. A zone hits score the same minor and major. So if you shoot all A's you are not disadvantaged at all. That won't happen and you will drop some points BUT you could have higher mag capacity and save a reload. That is a bigger deal in Single Stack but still relevant.

If you have a 9, shoot it. Assuming you haven't shot USPSA much from the question, personal performance is a bigger differentiator than caliber.

All that said, the top dudes shoot major...
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have a gun for it yet but am trying to decide between the Glock 34 and 35.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 8:17:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Still in NY?

Wont your mags be ltd to 10rds?

I would just get a 9mm and shoot production, or a 1911 and go single stack.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have a gun for it yet but am trying to decide between the Glock 34 and 35.
View Quote

If you haven't bought a gun already, you might as well buy the 40 if you want to shoot Limited.  The 34 would be my choice for Production.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#5]
additionally, look at the cost and availability of ammunition... do you plan on reloading?....if you are a type A competitive person, reloading to achieve the advantageous power factor is almost a necessity.....  USPSA is an addictive sport, I've been shooting since 1982, and the year I got my first Dillon 450 (pre 550) I was shooting a .45acp, and cast sized, loaded and shot over 34,000.....in the 30+ years, I'm somewhere over 350,000 rounds, but don't really practice anymore...

I switched from .45 to .40 ( with a G35), but did not really like to shoot the .40 in the Glock platform...I now shoot a G34, but shoot in Limited minor with the old guys... Les L747 Limited Master
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Shooting minor power factor, as a general rule, means you will be 10% lower in points than the same person who shoots the same exact match at major.

That rule seems to be pretty consistent when you look at major match results.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Another factor to consider is how well you manage recoil.After years of pushing my wife to shoot limited and lim10 major, i found the recoil was too much for her.I finally bought her her own 9mm 2011.He scores are much higher now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 10:03:08 PM EDT
[#9]

My Limited gun is 40 major

Link Posted: 2/26/2014 11:10:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If that's the case I would shoot .40 for major or shoot Production in 9mm.   If you're limited to 10 rounds anyway, I see no reason to shoot minor in Limited.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still in NY?

If that's the case I would shoot .40 for major or shoot Production in 9mm.   If you're limited to 10 rounds anyway, I see no reason to shoot minor in Limited.

The clubs I shoot at in NY were heavy into ss and production. Don't know if that asinine 8 round law will stay in NY, but if it does NY will only be a SS state.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 2:46:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 9:07:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I am a huge proponent of first timers shooting Limited minor.

Reason:
1) More than likely, the newbie will already have a gun that will get them started.
2) Most newbies don't reload, factory 9mm is cheaper than 40.
3) Only need 3-4 mags.
4) Fewer reloads.

That said, the OP is in NY and that creates a bit of an issue.

My $.02.

Get a G34 or an M&P and shoot production. I just don't see the fun, nor the expense, of Limited or Open division guns in states with mag capacity restrictions.

Hell, you could shoot Single Stack, but I never, ever, recommend that!
Or, really punish yourself and go complete Amish and shoot revolver!
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 12:32:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I thought the 10 rounds could be loaded as long as you're at a range?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still in NY?

The clubs I shoot at in NY were heavy into ss and production. Don't know if that asinine 8 round law will stay in NY, but if it does NY will only be a SS state.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I thought the 10 rounds could be loaded as long as you're at a range?

That may be the case, Still 10rd max kills ltd and open.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Isn't that what Limited 10 is for?
View Quote

Maybe so, but you'll still get monkey stomped if you try to play in a non capacity division after playing with only 10.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top