Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 2:30:12 AM EDT
[#1]
If you come down hard on the sling, I imagine with a guy your size it could go a couple of minutes.

Good Luck and in for the range report.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:13:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#2]
Magpul BUIS + 0.050" post zeroing and test. Sight radius is near identical to M4. Maybe an inch shorter.

I used up the remainder of my IMR4198. An extra 2000 rounds of carbon in the FSB since the last time I used this powder seems to have helped function. Still had a couple failures to lock back when using a rolled mat as benchrest after the match, so a CAR buffer might be just right.

Moly'd Hornady 55gr FMJ
21.5gr IMR4198
FC cases of mixed length
CCI 400
COAL 2.255"

Weather:
25-40*, sunny, wind gradually increased from 3-8mph.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Sighters. Slung up, line of white hold. That dremeling on the receiver seems worth it. 7 clicks up, 3 clicks right (pulled one low), one click left. I fo'd.

Attachment Attached File

Offhand, 87/100-1x. I need a 10 or 20 single round holder that fits my MOLLE; the old leather pouch doesn't fit my map pocket. Line of white/6:00 hold put the first 3 shots....... just in the white low. I moved to center mass and did okay. I distracted myself before the last shot and sent it out the top.

Attachment Attached File

Sitting, 92/100. Cross legged. I didn't bother pulling my ammo out of the full 30rd mags to make 2+8, so I counted shots and *gasp* did hot reloads. Not sure if it was habit or calculation, but I held 6:00.

Attachment Attached File

Prone Rapid, 86/100. Same thing. Forgot to count during the second mag, so there went a 10.
The firing line felt slanted to the left, making NPOA tricky. The low placement seems to be a sum of softer stock placement and Lights Up-Sights-Up.

Attachment Attached File

Prone Slow, 177/200-1x. We elected to do all 20 shots in one string. I slung up. First shot was called good and went off at 7:30 again like last match, dang it.
The 0.070" aperture and snow finally played heck, in addition to the firing line slant. I had difficulty with right elbow placement and trigger finger  torquing, hence the horizontal spread. The 10 o'clock 7 was outside call. The 11:30 o'clock 7 was above call.

Attachment Attached File

Summary Target. 442/500-2x. I think a 0.062" post might be a better pair with the standard 0.070" aperture. A standard 0.070" post is so chonky it's only good for a frame hold, but likely could technically group better.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#3]
NIce shooting, shooting with irons is rewarding as all get out!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:15:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#4]
Load test after our sister club's match Saturday. Didn't have a great setup for shooting and recording data.

I used an NRA A23 target. This was one of the few times the fiber optic-in-dark-target-in-light washout happened, so I used a 6:00 sight picture. Before shooting, I was demonstrating to a friend how even a lighter weight scope setup like the TR24 is still a chonk by removing and replacing it. All groups were at the top of the bulls. Dunno if that was the ADM mount not returning to zero, or the difference between IMR4198 and IMR3031.

Hornady 55gr FMJ
24.5gr IMR3031. Book .223 Rem max.
FC case
CCI 450
COAL 2.250"

Avg 2824fps, ES 79fps, SD 32fps
The bore was clean, but even accounting for that and only firing 6 rounds, group no good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

75gr BTHP
21.0gr IMR3031
FC case
CCI 450
COAL 2.250"

Avg 2320fps, ES 53fps, SD 17fps
Meh group.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

75gr BTHP
21.5gr IMR3031. Book .223 Rem max.

Avg 2400fps, ES 57fps, SD 21fps
Meh group.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

75gr BTHP
22.0gr IMR3031

Forgot to turn the chronograph on before the range went hot and it was lunch time. Group was good. Faint head swipes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 6:26:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#5]
Edit 15-May-22: scores based on CMP tracker.

Oh yeah. I had a little art project earlier this month. The beige is a little bright and the clay a little too yellow, but I think I did a decent camo balance between breaking up the "black rifle" profile and losing the gun after setting it on the ground.

Attachment Attached File

I was going to OKC on Sunday for a CMP 800 point, so I had one evening to decide what to use with my limited components. 22.0gr IMR3031/75gr BTHP seemed good to go. Slow, but had margin for 600yd e-target use. Since 0.5gr over book max worked for the 75s, maybe it would for the 55s from the short yardlines.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

200 yards Offhand
I looped the sling around my bicep, rolled the throw lever to 4x, and fired the two sighters from Prone to zero. I wanted to use the TR24 triangle as a BDC. Since the load test groups were 11:30 at the top of the ~4" smallbore targets at 100yds, I came down 5 MOA and pointed the tip at center - inner 7-ring at 5:30. Two MOA up and 0.5 MOA right - outer 10 at 6:00 - close enough.

I got up, ranger-banded the single round holster around the left side mag in my chest rig. After rolling the throw lever to 1x I tossed the sling over my head to the harmony of the match director and HP division director saying "Caint use the sling!". "-It's not being used for support."
I snapped out to dry fire a time a two before the HP director came to my side. "HRB, the rules say you can't use a sling." "-Yeah, not for support. For resting." *drops rifle* "But it's gotta be in parade configuration, can it-"

4.4.6 How Slings Are Used
Slings must remain attached to Service or Alternative rifles in all positions when they are being fired. M1907 or M1 slings may be configured with arm loops and
used for support in the prone, sitting or kneeling positions. In the standing position, slings must remain attached at both the butt-stock and handguard/fore-end of the rifle and may not be so tight as to support the back of the hand or wrist. The sling may be included within the grip. The sling may be used to support the standing position only in the 200-yard stage of the Infantry Team Match where the sling may be used as a hasty sling without using an arm loop, but with the sling wrapped around the arm (Rule 5.8.3 b)). In the sitting or kneeling and prone positions, the sling must be attached at the forward sling swivel, but it does not have to remain attached at the rear sling
swivel.
View Quote
5.1.1 Standing Position
The shooter must stand on both feet while supporting the rifle with both hands, the shoulder or upper arm and the cheek. The arm that supports the rifle may
rest on the hip or side of the body. The other arm must grasp the rifle at the pistol grip. The sling may be within the grasp of the left hand (right-handed shooter) or it may pass over the outside of the hand, but it may not be used to support the rifle. Some part of the rear surface of the butt-plate (toe of the buttplate) must contact the shoulder (shoulder pad on the jacket); the butt-stock may not rest on top of the shoulder. The sling must remain attached to the rifle in parade configuration when the Service or Alternative Rifle is used (see Rule 4.4.6). Slings are not required for Match Rifles or in CMP Games Matches.
View Quote

Their range their rules so I gave up talking sense and pulled the sling back over and let it hang. The 7 mph mostly full value leftward wind built up and let off smoothly. I thought I overheard a muttering of "Guess we won't have to kick someone off today." At least they didn't ding me for the Magpul Rifleman Loop Sling.
I was shook for about 7 shots, but they were on call and I mostly settled into two locations. 10:30 and 7:30 9-ring, then the last few made it into the 10-X. Afterwards the HP director looked at my rifle and asked "Is that a laser?", pointing towards the muzzle. "-No, it's a flashlight." Are proper weapon-mounted lasers powerful enough to see at even 50yds during daytime? 169/200-2x

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

200 yards Sitting "Rapid"
Given that it was rather windy and the locals would've clutched pearls at the thought of their precious electronics being harmed, I chose not to shoot Offhand as originally desired. I like the open legged position for field use, but it is easy to flag your feet, so I used cross legged.

\\\ "Now you can use your sling." Nah. Instead of tossing over me like usual, I let it hang still.

I think the first sighter was a low 10 and the second on call high-left 9.

I didn't know that CMP 800 point match rapid stage commands included loading with the bolt on empty chamber before the Targets! command. I continued my NRA/CMP hybrid of bolt closed and loading upon the Targets! command. I recall the first string as centered high-left on the 10-ring. I began to packup as you would during a 50rd match when my verifier reminded me that I had 10 more shots. Second string had a nice semicircle above the X-ring, but was an 89/100 with 9 shots recorded. My verifier counted 9 shots. (I just checked my 100rd ammo box. 12 rounds remain. Bruh.) ShotMarker indicated the 55gr bullet passing at 2250fps. 183/200-1x, 185/200-1x

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

300 yards Prone "Rapid"
Now the fun part. At 4x will the triangle BDC be true? With 75s, my default wind dope method was "if I feel wind from the side, 1 MOA" so with 55s I figured 1.5-2 MOA and put the left corner between the 9 and 10-ring at 9:00.

\\\ "You can sling up now." Nope, still letting it hang.

That's about where my sighters went, so I knew I would need to put the left corner in the center. Elevation was a smidge off. I forget if low or high, but I knew it could be corrected with natural point of aim and tighter tolerance of sight picture.

First string went left, probably due to NPA or trigger pull. Second string was better centered, but maybe sloppier spread. The 25gr IMR3031/55gr FMJ load has potential. (kinda funny to me that years ago, "Dr. Titegroup", who blew up his brand new gun with the first round of reloads had asked his buddy for data, who said "25gr of just about anything under a 55gr bullet works good" and that's actually been true for IMR3031, Benchmark, H4895, Varget, and IMR4064)

In all rapids, I still had the old habit of removing the magazine with my right hand. At least I'm better about reloading with the left. Shotmarker indicated the 55gr bullet passing at 1900fps. 179/200-3x

600 yards Prone Slow
My guesstimated 75gr muzzle velocity was 2500fps, which JBM Ballistics calculated as needing 19 or 20 MOA up depending on if you use Hornady or Bryan Litz's coefficient. I chose the conservative 19. The HP director compared his dope with my verifier's. 2.75-3 MOA with 80gr bullets going about 2700fps. I knew I would need more, but used that as a starting point. If your Kentucky Windage is off target it's time to click.

I slung up and aimed the tip at the 3:00 edge of bull. Sent the first sighter, was still disappointed that the target didn't go down, then looked at my phone. UH-OH. The screen's target was blank. Did it go low or high?

I had tapped on the hospital target. Tapped mine and it was a 6 at 7:00. Second sighter was an 8 or 9 at 7:30. I clicked 2 MOA up and right and let the windage be. From then on I focused on eye alignment, NPA via right elbow, and trigger press. The carbine sling swivel location and A1 stock length isn't ideal for Prone. The flashlight body actually does a decent job of alignment aid in the FSB's stead, though if we didn't have a roof over us the slight glare might have been a hindrance.

I mostly chewed the bottom of the 9 and 10-ring during the first half, inching up another 0.5 MOA. I had a decent waterline that bled left. About shot 13, my left index finger knuckle was sore and I took a quick break by pulling the stock under my right armpit and relaxing the sling. The last 4-5 shots grouped nicely in the 7-ring at 11:00, ruining a near Master score. My position didn't feel "easy" the whole time, but nothing was obviously different for those shots. ShotMarker indicated the 75gr bullet passing at 1350fps. 176/200-3x

Aggregate: 707/800-9x, 709/800-9x
with a "miss".
I had signed for a 699.

I had planned for Ma to come with me. It'd be good for her to get away from home for a bit, and I'd have a cameraman. But she was assigned overtime at work.

Photos:
Attachment Attached File

I think this yute has only used an A2 instead of his scoped carbine for 600yds til now. I was amused that I got a "Wilson" photo.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Aw, the 200yd flag dropped.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:24:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Oh yeah. I had a little art project earlier this month. The beige is a little bright and the clay a little too yellow, but I think I did a decent camo balance between breaking up the "black rifle" profile and losing the gun after setting it on the ground.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/379478/20220305_152017_HDR_jpg-2330267.JPG

I was going to OKC on Sunday for a CMP 800 point, so I had one evening to decide what to use with my limited components. 22.0gr IMR3031/75gr BTHP seemed good to go. Slow, but had margin for 600yd e-target use. Since 0.5gr over book max worked for the 75s, maybe it would for the 55s from the short yardlines.

200 yards Offhand
I looped the sling around my bicep, rolled the throw lever to 4x, and fired the two sighters from Prone to zero. I wanted to use the TR24 triangle as a BDC. Since the load test groups were 11:30 at the top of the ~4" smallbore targets at 100yds, I came down 5 MOA and pointed the tip at center - inner 7-ring at 5:30. Two MOA up and 0.5 MOA right - outer 10 at 6:00 - close enough.

I got up, ranger-banded the single round holster around the left side mag in my chest rig. After rolling the throw lever to 1x I tossed the sling over my head to the harmony of the match director and HP division director saying "Caint use the sling!". "-It's not being used for support."
I snapped out to dry fire a time a two before the HP director came to my side. "HRB, the rules say you can't use a sling." "-Yeah, not for support. For resting." *drops rifle* "But it's gotta be in parade configuration, can it-"

Their range their rules so I gave up talking sense and pulled the sling back over and let it hang. The 7 mph mostly full value leftward wind built up and let off smoothly. I thought I overheard a muttering of "Guess we won't have to kick someone off today." At least they didn't ding me for the Magpul Rifleman Loop Sling.
I was shook for about 7 shots, but they were on call and I mostly settled into two locations. 10:30 and 7:30 9-ring, then the last few made it into the 10-X. Afterwards the HP director looked at my rifle and asked "Is that a laser?", pointing towards the muzzle. "-No, it's a flashlight." Are proper weapon-mounted lasers powerful enough to see at even 50yds during daytime? 169/200-2x

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

200 yards Sitting "Rapid"
Given that it was rather windy and the locals would've clutched pearls at the thought of their precious electronics being harmed, I chose not to shoot Offhand as originally desired. I like the open legged position for field use, but it is easy to flag your feet, so I used cross legged.

\\\ "Now you can use your sling." Nah. Instead of tossing over me like usual, I let it hang still.

I think the first sighter was a low 10 and the second on call high-left 9.

I didn't know that CMP 800 point match rapid stage commands included loading with the bolt on empty chamber before the Targets! command. I continued my NRA/CMP hybrid of bolt closed and loading upon the Targets! command. I recall the first string as centered high-left on the 10-ring. I began to packup as you would during a 50rd match when my verifier reminded me that I had 10 more shots. Second string had a nice semicircle above the X-ring, but was an 89/100 with 9 shots recorded. My verifier counted 9 shots. (I just checked my 100rd ammo box. 12 rounds remain. Bruh.) ShotMarker indicated the 55gr bullet passing at 2250fps. 183/200-1x

300 yards Prone "Rapid"
Now the fun part. At 4x will the triangle BDC be true? With 75s, my default wind dope method was "if I feel wind from the side, 1 MOA" so with 55s I figured 1.5-2 MOA and put the left corner between the 9 and 10-ring at 9:00.

\\\ "You can sling up now." Nope, still letting it hang.

That's about where my sighters went, so I knew I would need to put the left corner in the center. Elevation was a smidge off. I forget if low or high, but I knew it could be corrected with natural point of aim and tighter tolerance of sight picture.

First string went left, probably due to NPA or trigger pull. Second string was better centered, but maybe sloppier spread. The 25gr IMR3031/55gr FMJ load has potential. (kinda funny to me that years ago, "Dr. Titegroup", who blew up his brand new gun with the first round of reloads had asked his buddy for data, who said "25gr of just about anything under a 55gr bullet works good" and that's actually been true for IMR3031, Benchmark, H4895, Varget, and IMR4064)

In all rapids, I still had the old habit of removing the magazine with my right hand. At least I'm better about reloading with the left. Shotmarker indicated the 55gr bullet passing at 1900fps. 179/200-3x

600 yards Prone Slow
My guesstimated 75gr muzzle velocity was 2500fps, which JBM Ballistics calculated as needing 19 or 20 MOA up depending on if you use Hornady or Bryan Litz's coefficient. I chose the conservative 19. The HP director compared his dope with my verifier's. 2.75-3 MOA with 80gr bullets going about 2700fps. I knew I would need more, but used that as a starting point. If your Kentucky Windage is off target it's time to click.

I slung up and aimed the tip at the 3:00 edge of bull. Sent the first sighter, was still disappointed that the target didn't go down, then looked at my phone. UH-OH. The screen's target was blank. Did it go low or high?
https://i.imgur.com/yS2eN30.gif

I had tapped on the hospital target. Tapped mine and it was a 6 at 7:00. Second sighter was an 8 or 9 at 7:30. I clicked 2 MOA up and right and let the windage be. From then on I focused on eye alignment, NPA via right elbow, and trigger press. The carbine sling swivel location and A1 stock length isn't ideal for Prone. The flashlight body actually does a decent job of alignment aid in the FSB's stead, though if we didn't have a roof over us the slight glare might have been a hindrance.

I mostly chewed the bottom of the 9 and 10-ring during the first half, inching up another 0.5 MOA. I had a decent waterline that bled left. About shot 13, my left index finger knuckle was sore and I took a quick break by pulling the stock under my right armpit and relaxing the sling. The last 4-5 shots grouped nicely in the 7-ring at 11:00, ruining a near Master score. My position didn't feel "easy" the whole time, but nothing was obviously different for those shots. ShotMarker indicated the 75gr bullet passing at 1350fps. 176/200-3x

Aggregate: 707/800-9x
with a "miss".
I had signed for a 699.

I had planned for Ma to come with me. It'd be good for her to get away from home for a bit, and I'd have a cameraman. But she was assigned overtime at work.

Photos:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/379478/20220327_131549_HDR_jpg-2330292.JPG

I think this yute has only used an A2 instead of his scoped carbine for 600yds til now. I was amused that I got a "Wilson" photo.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/379478/20220327_142714_HDR_jpg-2330293.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/379478/20220327_141012b_jpg-2330298.JPG

Aw, the 200yd flag dropped.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/379478/20220327_140052_jpg-2330299.JPG
View Quote

This is fun to follow, nice shooting and camo pattern
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Magpul BUIS + 0.050" post zeroing and test. Sight radius is near identical to M4. Maybe an inch shorter.

Prone Rapid, 86/100. Same thing. Forgot to count during the second mag, so there went a 10.
The firing line felt slanted to the left, making NPOA tricky. The low placement seems to be a sum of softer stock placement and Lights Up-Sights-Up.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/379478/20220205_122037_PR_OT_jpg-2268822.JPG

View Quote

Technically your 11 shots fired during the prone rapid stage is “excessive” and results in zero points for the stage if this were a real match.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 11:00:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: A6BN] [#8]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/379478/20220205_122037_PR_OT_jpg-2268822.JPG

View Quote

Technically your 11 shots fired during the prone rapid stage is “excessive” and results in zero points for the stage if this were a real match.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 1:35:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Nevermind the fuller mags and a hot reload...
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Afterwards the HP director looked at my rifle and asked "Is that a laser?", pointing towards the muzzle. "-No, it's a flashlight." Are proper weapon-mounted lasers powerful enough to see at even 50yds during daytime?
View Quote

I’m surprised they didn’t make you take it off. One time I was at Navy East Fleet getting my rifle inspected the day before the matches started. They made me take the SCATT sensor off my railed front sight block. I said, “I’m just going to put it back on as soon as I get back to the hotel,” but common sense didn’t matter to them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I enjoy reading these snippets of load development and what you guys can do with open sights.

Keep up the good work
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 6:07:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#12]
Been a while since I got to shoot more because I wanted to than because I felt obligated to. I hadn't visited our sister club, Stephens County R&P, since March when I tested loads before OKC. October 22nd was their last HP match of the year, and I was already bummed that I couldn't shoot the MBAR the week before, so I wasn't missing it.

It was a nice 65-80*F day, with a wind creeping in off Duncan Lake, swirling 3-7mph on the ground, but shaking the tree branches. This 100yd range faces opposite of home - west, so it's nice and bright.

I was using the usual 16", TR24, A1 length, 4 mags in chest rig. At my club's earlier October match, I finished off some IMR4198 ammo. This time was the Internet favorite of 25gr H335 under Hornady 55gr FMJ, with my modification of 2.25" COAL.

The sighters from prone started at 1:30 10-ring of the SR-1 target. I figured the elevation would be good for Offhand as I tend to go lower, but I gave it 1 MOA left and chopped the top off the letter X. Gud enuf. I ignored the feeling that my position was too tall/sling too tight.

Offhand: 94/100-1x

I've found that coupled PMAGs work well for slow fire. Left mag locks the bolt open, right mag holds the ammo - thumb a round out and plop it into the chamber. Roll the rifle up from patrol carry, thumb on top, index hooking around the sling swivel, drag cheek on the stock, flip selector to Fire, pull into the shoulder to dampen motion. The wind must have triggered my prime reflexes. Shots were going out from center, but I snatched them back inside call. First shot was an X.

I used a "modern" parade sling configuration. Photo coming later. Holding the 8.5lb gun the whole time fatigued me some for the last shot, which I think was the 8.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Sitting Offhand "Rapid": 90/100-1x

I didn't want to do sitting. I hate kneeling, especially without new, good boots. After the prior string, I had to fo. I pulled the sling out of parade and tossed it over my head and left shoulder. My natural point of aim dictates a half-bladed stance that's just shy of drawing the sling taut. I still do an NRA/EIC hybrid of closing the bolt on empty chamber, staying in position, and loading and charging upon "Targets!". I pulled the GI 30rd containing 5 rounds out of the left pocket, charged, and presented. They looked like crap through the sight - high left 7, low left 6, high 8, low left 9... Then "dump" that mag into the map pocket of the chest rig, pull a Lancer 20rd out of the 2nd pocket and go. Those 5 were much better. Just "clicking heads" with the big triangle and finished in what seemed like 40-45 seconds.

Again, the bad 5 were inside call.

Attachment Attached File

Prone "Rapid": 95/100

Sling tossed over, scope wound to 4x. Support hand cupped behind the sling swivel, though I should try the C-grip as I use Offhand. Habit puts my left elbow under the gun, but that doesn't play well with the shorter LOP, and I'm not used to the Euro "bipod" position. Two 20rd Brownells from the 3rd and 4th pockets; the 4th turned opposite the others for the right hand to grab. Prior data indicated that the group would be high. Probably from pulling up instead of into the shoulder, or perhaps more gun movement during recoil.

Attachment Attached File

Prone Slow: 179/200-3x

I remembered that my sighter Prone position felt tall, so I loosened the sling about an inch. The first 2-3 shots were 10:00. I finally had some trouble with shot calls. Thinking the 1 MOA left I put on earlier might have been an error, I took it out and shot the 2:30 7-ring. Welp, okay, put it back on. Shoot a couple more to make the cluster at 10:00 8/9-ring. Welp, okay, take it back off and "hold harder". Finished up with some 9/10/X in the middle.

Adjust natural point of aim to the 2nd MR-31 target posted. The first shots were the high 9s and 10 or X. Finally recognizing the elevation offset, I went down 0.5 MOA. The shots were close to call, but I wonder if I put some "mental clicks" on to put them low.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Aggregate: 458/500-5x.

Sighters (unmarked), Offhand "Rapid", Prone Slow shots 11-20.
Attachment Attached File

Offhand Slow, Prone "Rapid", Prone Slow shots 1-10.
Attachment Attached File

Afterwards I fired my 3 remaining rounds from sitting at the 200yd proportional steel circle. Triangle inside. Smack, smack, smack (it's fixed too tight to ring ). BDC checks out.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Does the Magpul RLS meet the CMP/NRA rules?
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By nemesis9:
Does the Magpul RLS meet the CMP/NRA rules?
View Quote
Not for Service Rifle, retardedly.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Dust this beauty off lately?
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#16]
A couple times this year. Just haven't either the time or motivation to report so far.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:48:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#17]
I pulled apart my A4gery upper to make a new M4gery for stepbro's Christmas gift. Criterion Hybrid 16" carbine barrel was rather loose in the BCM receiver compared to the FN 20" I had to knock out. I did not gauge the port, but it was noticeably smaller than that of the 20". I didn't realize the aluminum barrel nut holes stretched a little so visual alignment made the rail overclocked a smidge. The 6 year old UTG thick rail covers are starting to crack, so I may try their lopro version. This lower uses a Rock River Arms LAR-8 stock kit (gifted long ago without telling me what it was ) with a homemade spacer and clipped spring, though it is still stiff. H335 ejects to 4:00, CFE223 ejects to 2:00 - perfect!

The bore is one of the smoothest and most concentric I've seen, but we still gave it an abbreviated break-in. 1 shot-clean-2 shots-clean-3 shots-clean-no sign of copper-shoot. Stepbro is nigh-useless with irons so far, so Plucky it is. I'm looking at Warne A404 rings to replace the Leupold SeeThrus.

Two or three nights of dryfire practice net a 273/500 with 3 shots off paper - 2 Standing, 1 Sitting, I think. Rapids were done in 47 and 50 seconds. Other than the new ambi selector, I still get surprised by how sinistral-friendly ARs are.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

He choked up his support hand against the mag well. Decent waterline though.
Attachment Attached File

His crooked photo since I was busy packing gear. I gotta start teaching folks how to shoot cameras as well. His first two shots were high 8 and 10, then he settled low-left. I informed of this and advised a shooter adjustment which put him back in the top side of black. The miss was simply "I pulled it before I was ready."
Attachment Attached File

He took a 5 hour nap when he got home.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Good on you for making him a rifle, I built one for my BiL as well. That one is for our benchrest shoots though, I can’t wait until we shoot!!
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 5:14:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#19]
I missed the MBABR  match at the sister club in Stephens County, OK on the previous Saturday since I didn't sleep well and it was cold (they ended up with 8 shooters), so I made up for it this past Saturday when the weather was almost perfect for their HP match. Three showed up including me. My brother has been busy with church stuff, so I took the new Plucky carbine and shot it left handed to show him what it could do.

Offhand: 88-1x
I tried my usual method of getting inside the black and pressing the trigger when going towards the center, but I had a little more wobble that day and the left finger was a little early or late. I shirked a rule and put the RLS sling around my back for resting. I dunno if the burnt tail end is sharper than mine or needs more breaking in, but it poked my neck. My eye seemed to want to put the crosshair at flat tire or reverse flat tire, so I waited for reverse and pressed the trigger aggressively; a little too much a couple times. I should have rested a little more before that 7. Last shot was the X. I was leading by 4 points!

Attachment Attached File

Sitting: 94-1x
With the sling set for Prone it is loose for Sitting, so I put it around my back again which surprisingly almost made it snug enough to provide support. Wobble was about 9-ring, but it was erratic since I wasn't used to pulling into the shoulder with the left hand. I barely remember the reloads - I didn't have to think. Right thumb pressed the mag release, right hand smoothly chained together a gentle toss of the empty, retrieving the next mag from the chest rig and rotating cartridges up, but I fumbled the insertion a little. The match director put 4 rounds on my target. Personally, I discount one from each ring. If my trigger press moves the rifle horizontally, it's in the direction the finger points, hence why the measured group has a little bias. My lead shrank to 1 point.

Attachment Attached File

Prone Rapid: 94-4x
Part of my philosphy of use, or whatever the guntuber term, is that if you have to shoot fast you don't have time to loop a sling around the bicep, so again RLS around the back with almost enough tension to dampen motion. Some luck, but good natural point of aim often keeps shots inside call. I did not call 10s and Xs. One double is obvious. The other isn't. The scorer and I agreed that two of the Xs looked a smidge wide. I chose the 4:00 one. Gary Cook removed or replaced his cheek riser, but forgot to put on a 1.5 MOA compensation. My lead increased to 2 points.

Attachment Attached File

Cook is a very good Prone shooter. I knew he was going to beat me. The question was by how much?

Prone Slow 1: 84-1x
By a lot.
Sling looped. I had difficulty placing my left elbow and pushing my left shoulder to meet the buttplate (match rifle shooters - don't do that), and gripping firmly yet neutrally (without pulling into the shoulder) to give the trigger finger good leverage. I think my NPOA was actually leftward, but force-into-shoulder variance upon trigger press moved it right. I had trouble seeing some of the holes. Some of the low ones and the 3:00 seven were on call. Otherwise I would have moved 1 MOA up sooner.

Attachment Attached File

Prone Slow 2: 96 - no Xs
1 MOA up. I fixed the windage element. I think it was straightening the support arm some from inverted, and actually snapping the stock into the shoulder and whipping the elbow down like I used to. I took a little break about every 5 shots, but my right arm was hurting. I think the last shot was the high 8. Cook ended up with a 199 and about 10 Xs.

Attachment Attached File

Summary target 1.
Attachment Attached File

Summary target 2.
Attachment Attached File

Aggregate: 456/500-7x.

If you have difficulty conferring your experience to a newer shooter, trying weak hand puts you in their shoes.

Gary Cook told us that his longtime range buddy and fellow High Master, Gary Miller, died of cancer recently. I realized I unintentionally paid homage by having my spotting scope still set for right handed use. Miller shot right handed with the scope set for left.

5:18 - 7:18.
Wichita Falls NRA Highpower Rifle Match 4/7/12

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 6:13:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Dude really enjoy reading your AARs, thank you for taking the time to post them!

I’ve finally made time this year to start shooting for groups and real accurate fire versus hitting the steel and moving on.

This is such a fun and wild ride, good shooting and left handed at that!!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 6:34:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Fordtough25:
Dude really enjoy reading your AARs, thank you for taking the time to post them!

I've finally made time this year to start shooting for groups and real accurate fire versus hitting the steel and moving on.
View Quote

I wish I still had photos of a 600yd target my friend made ~15 years ago. 3/8" x 36" mild steel with regulation diameter scoring rings made with welding bead.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:50:15 AM EDT
[#22]

I wish I still had photos of a 600yd target my friend made ~15 years ago. 3/8" x 36" mild steel with regulation diameter scoring rings made with welding bead.
View Quote

Heck yes for sure!

I just got my 50 yard groups, will shoot at 100 next time, then try and stretch out more.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#23]
OP, are you already Distinguished and purposely handicapping yourself for fun?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 2:27:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By von_landstuhl:
OP, are you already Distinguished and purposely handicapping yourself for fun?
View Quote

Handicap  noun
1a: a race or contest in which an artificial advantage is given or disadvantage imposed on a contestant to equalize chances of winning.

Who is handicapped?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I know you know what I mean.

hand·i·cap
noun
1. A circumstance that makes progress or success difficult.

Like shooting a Garand Across the Course or shooting an AR10 at a Long Range match. You’re not gonna win, but you’re ok with that and can still have fun.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:30:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By von_landstuhl:
I know you know what I mean.

hand·i·cap
noun
1. A circumstance that makes progress or success difficult.

Like shooting a Garand Across the Course or shooting an AR10 at a Long Range match. You’re not gonna win, but you’re ok with that and can still have fun.
View Quote

Lol, sometimes that’s the fun part!

OP, you look to have done great while shooting left handed. I can’t hardly imagine
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:18:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#27]
Friday, I cut a tree down to bits, had supper with Ma, realized I had to load ammo for Da, then didn't sleep well.

Saturday's weather was nice, but a bit windy. I used Glowie. Load was Hornady 2267, 27.0gr CFE223, CCI 450, 2.250".

Offhand: 89/100-2x
1-power. Sling around back.
Three of the first four shots were a usual 3-4 MOA left. Natural point of aim was good. I figured my support hand was relaxing during the shot so I reduced the pull into shoulder with the support hand and increased the pull with the firing hand. Other than pulling one low in the 9, the rest were in around the 10-ring.

Sitting Rapid: 96/100-3x
1-power. Sling around back.
I was tempted to offer the guys $5 to shoot offhand after hearing them whine about the wind. At the last second, I decided to do EIC style and start from standing. Not that stupid contortion to keep the feet in the same place either - proper position break. I was running the match and don't like splitting 1 relay into 2 unless a new guy needs coaching or to take photos/video, so I just stood, loaded on a closed bolt, called commands, started the clock and fent. Natural point of aim was good. I think the outliers were trigger control. The reloads weren't smooth. I ought to experiment with how I grip the magazine for insertion.

Attachment Attached File

Prone Rapid: 88/100-2x
4-power. Sling around back.
Stood, loaded on closed bolt, called commands, fent. The reticle seemed to be rightwards when I broke the shots. The outlier was outside call. I'll blame glasses slipping down my nose.

Attachment Attached File

Prone Slow: 97/100-3x and 97/100-1x = 194/200-4x
4-power. Sling looped around bicep.
We chose to post two MR-31s side by side per firing point. The only ammo I had was in my chest rig, but I forgot my coupled PMAGs, so I had to occasionally blow grass off the rounds I plucked out of a mag laid on the ground.

The first target shot was on the right. Natural point of aim was left. My "new" ejector spring has now settled to 2:30, and blading more would have put me even closer to my neighbor, so I just focused on consistent body tension and shot process.
Attachment Attached File

The second target was on the left, so NPOA felt better. The first two shots were the 8 and 9, off call. I threaded the windage turret cap off to check. Something made me put on 0.5 MOA left last month. Maybe the time change had an affect. After that I was just shooting with a progressively painful support hand. One of these days I'm gonna clean it with FMJs.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Nice shooting, I always find it fascinating and want to try my own string to see how I do.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top