Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2017 3:32:39 PM EDT
Noticed in this month's American Rifleman the NRA is moving their Highpower match to Camp Atterbury, Indiana this summer.  Are CMP and NRA feuding again?  I haven't been to Perry since 2010 so I'm out of the loop.  I do notice CMP keeps putting more and more stuff at Talledega.  Are Perry's days numbered?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Camp Perry is still heavily used for the National Matches in other disciplines.  Moving High Power/Long Range to Atterbury frees up dates so the Camp Perry matches can finish before school starts.  From what I've heard, the biggest issues were between the NRA and Camp Perry administration; however, the people who really know the story aren't talking.  Atterbury is a good facility and the National Matches could do well there, though it will probably take a couple of years before they adapt to a different facility.  I certainly enjoyed shooting CIHPRS matches there when I lived in Indiana.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I've shot at Atterbury many times.......years ago we lived just 5 miles from there.There was a lot of upgrades made in '86 when the Pan Am shooting events were held there.
My wife was an official scorer for some of the small bore rifle competition and I went up a few times to just observe some truly great shooters.I even met Lones Wigger ,his wife ,and their  daughter Deana.
Doesn't seem like 30 years ago........
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Funny thing - I'm actually on base right now for a LR match tomorrow morning. The facilities and base housing are great!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:04:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Funny thing - I'm actually on base right now for a LR match tomorrow morning. The facilities and base housing are great!
View Quote
Is Kevin McDonald shooting?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:38:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a post card about it yesterday. The dates overlap with pistol which I attended last year. I hope to get back to Perry this year. I feel like this is the NRA's last year at Perry for pistol.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Stay tuned. It may be a one and done National Match there. Looks like the CMP will be running the National Matches at Camp Perry in 2018.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:37:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I just saw something too. Crazy times.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:46:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Stay tuned. It may be a one and done National Match there. Looks like the CMP will be running the National Matches at Camp Perry in 2018.
View Quote
NRA and CMP each run separate National Match programs.  CMP is continuing to run its NM program at Perry this year.  Only the NRA program will run at Atterbury.  Only CMP and NRA know what the future plans are.  They may decide they like the divorce, or they may kiss and make up.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
NRA and CMP each run separate National Match programs.  CMP is continuing to run its NM program at Perry this year.  Only the NRA program will run at Atterbury.  Only CMP and NRA know what the future plans are.  They may decide they like the divorce, or they may kiss and make up.
View Quote
According to a post on the CMP Forums, Dennis Willing (NRA Competitions Director) announced his resignation and Shawn Agne (a member of the NRA BOD) announced, "The NRA Nationals will be shot at Camp Atterbury in 2017 then in 2018 the NRA Nationals along with Pistol and Smallbore will be fired at Camp Perry."
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:27:42 PM EDT
[#10]
The match program for the NRA nats at Atterbury mandates eye protection. (page 16, "Safety", item 4).

For those that have fired HP matches there, was this enforced? I choose not to wear EP when firing, never have. In the pits, yes.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
According to a post on the CMP Forums, Dennis Willing (NRA Competitions Director) announced his resignation and Shawn Agne (a member of the NRA BOD) announced, "The NRA Nationals will be shot at Camp Atterbury in 2017 then in 2018 the NRA Nationals along with Pistol and Smallbore will be fired at Camp Perry."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't they enter into a multi-year agreement with Atterbury?  If I understand correctly, a lot of work was done by the Army on those ranges.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Didn't they enter into a multi-year agreement with Atterbury?  If I understand correctly, a lot of work was done by the Army on those ranges.
View Quote
I don't know for sure, but the CMP released their first "final" calendar for next year and it does not contain NRA rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top