Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2015 8:14:43 PM EDT
So here's the deal, I've never competed in a match before and am interested in starting. I am in law enforcement and I hear they have law enforcement specific matches as well so that may be something I'll check out. For now, I'd like to use my newly built MK12 Mod0 (upper built to correct specs by Kevin at High Caliber) in match shoots and I'm curious what classes I would qualify to shoot in? Would this rifle qualify for the Service Rifle M-16 series class? If not, what are my options? I think I read that I have to use iron sights for the Service Rifle class, which is ok, but is there also a longer distance class that I could use my scope in?

With everything above in mind that I want to do, I also want to change out my Colt Mil-Spec trigger for a Geissele. I was thinking either a 3.5 or 4.5 lb dual stage trigger. Will adding a Geissele trigger disqualify me from either of the classes above provided I qualified for them at all in the first place?

Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#1]
A good place to start while waiting on specific replies...  http://compete.nra.org/official-nra-rule-books.aspx
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Absolutely not for service rifle. You could compete in match rifle with irons but you'll be going up against space guns.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A good place to start while waiting on specific replies...  http://compete.nra.org/official-nra-rule-books.aspx
View Quote

Thanks, I've checked the rule book and it doesn't describe exactly what a service rifle is, just says it is M-16 style and says what the rules are.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#4]
This might be the ref http://competitions.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-book.pdf section 3.1.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Absolutely not for service rifle. You could compete in match rifle with irons but you'll be going up against space guns.
View Quote

So that pretty much means my MK12 is a no go for competing?

Would a BCM M4 Carbine Mod2 be a candidate for Service rifle?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks, I've checked the rule book and it doesn't describe exactly what a service rifle is, just says it is M-16 style and says what the rules are.
View Quote

No external modifications means it must look exactly like this:

I believe you have the option of A2 or A1 buttstock, standard handguards shown or old school triangular, and bare muzzle vs A2 birdcage. I think those are your only external modification options. I may have missed something, but if I did, it'll be minor whereas a MK12 is not even close. I shoot an M14 anyways.

Higher end service rifles will have a free float tube under the handguard, but it will LOOK exactly the same as pictured.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This might be the ref http://competitions.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-book.pdf section 3.1.
View Quote

Yup that's what I read too, it says a lot of things must be "standard" but I'm asking what is standard? For the MK12 Mod0, it is in standard configuration and as issued to special forces. Does that make it "standard"? Or is it referring to your typical M16 as issued to a Marine with the A2 stock and 20" barrel with no rails? I'm trying to translate what it says into something useable for determining what is and isn't a service rifle when it comes to AR15 type rifles
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Gotcha, ok thanks
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#9]
See if there are any DMR type matches in your area. Perfect for your rifle and they can be quite fun. I've shot both and while I prefer high power, DMR matches have their appeal too. Also more realistic stages and targets. The world is not made of black circles that are perfectly sized for a given distance.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Ah, yes, must mean mil-spec everything, except for where provided for...

I'm sure the rules are clearer than that to anyone that's been involved, but in my experience reference models of your choice of service rifle were all ok, they call out just the mods that are go/no-go in the rules.  For example, the trigger-pull, not less than 4.5 lbs in the hpr class.

Those pics above are a good sample.

When derived am guessing these comp classes were meant to inspire civilian marksmanship training.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Problem: my rifle is too tactical. Solution: Any Optics / Tactical Rifle. Sounds like you have a rig that can run in High Power.

3.3.2 NRA Any Sight Match Rifle/Tactical Rifle—
Same as NRA
Match Rifle Rule 3.3 except there is no restriction as to sights. The following
restrictions will apply:
(a)
No person firing and any sight rifle under 3.3.2 will be allowed to
compete with any other group of shooters who are also firing. A
competitor using an any sight rifle under Rule 3.3.2 will only be
eligible for awards in their own division.
(b)
Bipods may be attached but not utilized. Ammunition will be restricted
to no larger than .35 caliber.
(c)
Competitors may use a service rifle equipped with optic sights to
compete under this rule. Competitors using service rifles described
in Rules 3.1(c) and 3.1(d) may remove the carry handle to allow
mounting of the optic sight.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for your help guys
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

So that pretty much means my MK12 is a no go for competing?

Would a BCM M4 Carbine Mod2 be a candidate for Service rifle?
View Quote

As already mentioned you would have to compete in the "match rifle" class which includes bolt actions and space rifles. If you run a scope that will push you into "optics" classification making you ineligible for any awards outside of the "optics" designation. No score are recorded by the NRA if you shoot optics.

You could get started and have fun using your rifle. It certainly would be able to compete as far as accuracy is concerned. Use match grade ammo or you'll be at a disadvantage.

The National Championships recognize "high Police shooter" and if enough fellow officers compete at a smaller event they can get acknowledged as well. They do not have specific high power tournaments for law enforcement only. Some training classes are police specific.

CMP rules are more strict and limit any modifications to the rifle that make it look different from "as issued". Free float quad rails are now legitimate provided the sling is attached at the furthest point forward.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 2:10:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I agree with hipwr223, just jump in with what you have the first time.

Get some decent ammo and work up some zeros for 200, 300, and 600 ahead of time if at all possible. If not, just make sure you have a good 100 yard zero and someone will help you come up for the rest.

You will need a sling and glove. A coat is nice to have and without one you will get beat up, but you can decide after a match or two if you are going to stick it out.

If you have a decent spotting scope and stand, I would bring that too. A shooting mat helps keep you off the dirt in sitting and prone, but almost anything would work including a carpet scrap.

Two good 20 round magazines and a BobSled will complete the minimum kit. The two mags are required, the sled is good for the single feed slow fire stuff such as the 200 standing and 600 prone, for example.

Try someone's hardback coat and dry fire at 200, you will see why you need one later.

Good luck, I hope you turn on and jump in!
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:19:39 AM EDT
[#16]
The Police and Fire Championships have been held at Camp Pendleton.

Here is a link to the event.

http://www.smgunclub.org/schedule/police-and-fire-championships/

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I am almost certain that scores shot while using optics are recorded, AND can and will be used towards classification. the old rule was that they didn't count for classification purposes, (but always were recorded, I really don't know where that came from?) But the rule was changes in 2012 so that the optics scores would count toward classification.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:18:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Pretty sure your upper would run afoul of rule 3.16.1.  That said many clubs would likely allow you to shoot anyway, but don't be insulted if your fellow competitors ask that you be moved down the firing line a bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top