Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2014 9:12:07 AM EDT
I went to a shoot here in PA with a 100 yard zero on a 20 inch service rifle. Nylon web sling. FNH chrome lined barrel and a Larue 12.0 FF rail. GI A2 rear sight otherwise a 1/2x1/2 national match rear.

First time shooting High Power. 800 AGG match. No jacket. Wind was maybe 5-10mph?  

My preparation was dry fire and a dope printout on my 69 grain hand-loads with a theoretical velocity. Shots were a little low so I had to bring them all up.

I was chasing a zero at first, but eventually settled at all ranges with a 6 o'clock hold.

Very fun and the gang at the range was very helpful with all the new stuff.

Good times!

Rifle:

Of course I took off the vertical grip and the sling was changed out to the GI nylon web, but that's what I brought.

I am going to shoot this rifle as is next time I go. Maybe work on some 77 grain loads instead of my 69.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:44:14 AM EDT
[#1]
77gr bullets come in handy when the wind at the 500 and 600 yard lines picks up. I don't know if you'll pick up 25-30 points to make Expert, but you'll have fewer 7's. Add a Geissele trigger, a proper shooting sling, and a 0.050" Front Sight and get even more consistency. I know what you were doing with the shoot, but there's no reason why you can't get a NM front sight.

Good shooting.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What range did you shoot at?  Were you the new guy at New Holland on target 10?
View Quote

Yup, you found me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Shots were a little low so I had to bring them all up.
View Quote

I shot a match a couple weeks ago, my first EIC, not counting the SAFS at Camp Perry in July.  I had good drop numbers for 200 and 300 y, but no access to a 600 yard range.

So I guessed with the help of a ballistic computer.  Not so good.  My first shot at 600 was on paper ... waaaaaay up at the top of the paper, but on paper.  Came down 3 full minutes.  Next 19 shots were a more respectable 176-5X.  Standing was an 84-1X, and I got 92-1X on both rapid fire stages.  Next time will be better.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Good shooting and welcome!

Looks like your sling swivel is attached to the FSB.
If that's the case, pick up a swivel mount to connect to your float tube. That'll help a lot.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:31:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good shooting and welcome!

Looks like your sling swivel is attached to the FSB.If that's the case, pick up a swivel mount to connect to your float tube. That'll help a lot.

View Quote

I had an MI sling swivel (not pictured) attached to the last slot on the FF rail. I need to cut off the extra sling swivel.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#8]
69 will be good at 200 and 300 but I would work up a load with 75 or 80 AMAX or 77 or 80 OTM all over mag length
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:00:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Keep the wide front sight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top