Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2014 12:01:33 AM EDT
Shot the Mid-South Guard and Reserve Rifle Match this past Saturday and it was an eye opener to my aging eyes.
I finished in the top three the last two years that I competed but I went down hill this year.  Slow fire was ok I was able to adjust my glasses for each shot but rapid fire went to crap after the second or third round fired.  I just turned 50, so do any of you lke aged shooters have special prescription lenes or frames you shoot with???

Old Marine
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:05:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I tried the MicroSight and stuck with it. So far so good.

http://www.auburnscouts.com/stallingsmachine/microsight.htm

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:11:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Old age.  One match this year I lost focus and cross fired to the right.  Then to make up for it I cross fired to the left.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:23:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Old age.  One match this year I lost focus and cross fired to the right.  Then to make up for it I cross fired to the left.
View Quote

Well at least I didn't do that, yet.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:55:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I grew up with 20/15 vision, but now I can't read anything without glasses.  Distant vision is still 20/20, so I have the same problem with the front sight.  With glasses, the sight is clear, but the target is blurred.  I went an bought the weakest drugstore reading glasses (+1.25) and they help a lot.  Just strong enough to focus on the sight without blurring the target too bad.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#5]
There are lengthy discussions on this topic at the National Match forums with explanations by the two major players for Hi-Power corrective lenses, etc.

I have a slight reading correction (40 years old and presbyopia setting in) but my distance vision is pretty close to 20/20.  

Smaller aperture = better depth of field.  Too small and you cannot get enough light on dark days and end up with cobwebs and poor sight picture.  Too large well, loss of depth of field and difficulty seeing target if you can see the post.  You need to find a good all around.  Then work on vision correction, either in aperture or on face.  Consensus for the AR is generally + 0.5 - + 0.75 on top of your regular distance prescription.  

Finding your distance prescription may take some explaining and an understanding Dr as you want to do it outside of the 20 foot long room.  

My Dr. actually had my put on my reading glasses and look at graffiti on a train car about 400 yards away.  He then placed different lenses in front of my eyes until things were crisp.  I was just about back to zero when he was done.  If you already have a distance prescription well then it becomes easier.

I run a .042 aperture with a +.75 Bob Jones lens and a .072 front post.  Seems to work well for me in most conditions.  

Shot a 3x600 yesterday and had no issues until about mid way through the 2nd string.  Eye fatigue began to set in and it began to rain so the light went away and became hazy. I could have probably benefited from a .044 - .046 aperture.

Hydration plays a big role also, don't neglect that.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

There are lengthy discussions on this topic at the National Match forums with explanations by the two major players for Hi-Power corrective lenses, etc.

View Quote

I have a slight reading correction (40 years old and presbyopia setting in) but my distance vision is pretty close to 20/20.  

Smaller aperture = better depth of field.  Too small and you cannot get enough light on dark days and end up with cobwebs and poor sight picture.  Too large well, loss of depth of field and difficulty seeing target if you can see the post.  You need to find a good all around.  Then work on vision correction, either in aperture or on face.  Consensus for the AR is generally + 0.5 - + 0.75 on top of your regular distance prescription.  

Finding your distance prescription may take some explaining and an understanding Dr as you want to do it outside of the 20 foot long room.  

My Dr. actually had my put on my reading glasses and look at graffiti on a train car about 400 yards away.  He then placed different lenses in front of my eyes until things were crisp.  I was just about back to zero when he was done.  If you already have a distance prescription well then it becomes easier.

I run a .042 aperture with a +.75 Bob Jones lens and a .072 front post.  Seems to work well for me in most conditions.  

Shot a 3x600 yesterday and had no issues until about mid way through the 2nd string.  Eye fatigue began to set in and it began to rain so the light went away and became hazy. I could have probably benefited from a .044 - .046 aperture.

Hydration plays a big role also, don't neglect that.  

I've found that if I don't keep up on hydration my "floaties" become more noticeable.

I mentioned that phenomenon to my eye Doc and she dismissed it, but I know for me at least the two are definitely related.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I tried the MicroSight and stuck with it. So far so good.

http://www.auburnscouts.com/stallingsmachine/microsight.htm

View Quote

I have 74 year old eyes and only (still) shoot Service Rifle. I have bought every eye improvement product on the market to include a used Microsight. When I contacted the company for cleaning instructions, they told me that the Microsight manufacturer does not make them any more. He did send me the cleaning instructions.
What works for me  (AR15) is .046" aperture, .062" (soon to be .072") post, clear Knobloch glasses with my distance eye prescription with +.75, and a Center of Mass (Navy) hold.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Double post.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:50:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't shoot competition but, if you an use it, the Bob Jones rear sight inserts made a world of difference on my M1 Garand.  Can't say enough about it.  That front sight is as sharp as it every was 30/40 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#10]
.072 match front post definately helps. I took the advanced high power class at perry in 2013 and our instructor said .72 for everyone. I was using .05 and I started shooting better right away. Of course, that wasnt the only thing I did different, so take that for what it is worth.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Consensus for the AR is generally + 0.5 - + 0.75 on top of your regular distance prescription.  
View Quote

+.75 for AR M1 Carbine and pistol

+.50 For M1 Garand, 1903 Springfield and Vintage bolt
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Actually just going to a .040 - .046 aperture for the 03 / 1917 / Garand is enough for 200 yards on the SR and front sight focus.  I don't need any correction with them.

My distance is +.25 and I run a +.75 in my AR hood with a .042.  So that is a +.5.  +1.0 in the hood (+.75 correction) is too much and kills the MR1 totally.  

It varies person to person and is somewhat dependent upon apertures size you are using.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

[...]

Consensus for the AR is generally + 0.5 - + 0.75 on top of your regular distance prescription.

[...]

View Quote

Do you have a link to those discussions?

Or can you explain the rationale behind the +.5 to +.75?  It doesn't make intuitive sense to me why altering the prescription in that way is helpful.  And - must this adjustment be done at the sight, or do people just get a pair of prescription shooting glasses with that adjustment factored in?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#14]

You can add lenses to your hood from Bob Jones (Bjonessight.com) or Art Neergaard(shootingsight.com).  Or you can wear glasses.

Many good discussions on this topic at the national match forums at usrifleteams.com. You will have to register to view the forum.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:35:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Or can you explain the rationale behind the +.5 to +.75?  It doesn't make intuitive sense to me why altering the prescription in that way is helpful.  And - must this adjustment be done at the sight, or do people just get a pair of prescription shooting glasses with that adjustment factored in?

Thank you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[...]

[...]

Thank you.

"Distance" correction is done with negative diopters, so a prescription for a nearsighted person will call for -1.50 or whatever value allows for a sharp distant image. Accomodation (near vision) allows the eye to focus on the front sight and requires positive diopters. If you normally wear  -1.25 diopter glasses, a lens with -0.5 would allow for better focus on the front sight, but won't fully correct your distance vision.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you - that makes sense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top