Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2013 9:51:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Starcraftmlg]
I am a shotgun n00b! I shot this guy 12ga one time last week for my first time ever and he let me shoot this "slug" which is the single big pellet and it KICKED SO HARD. I don't like it, especially if I want it for competition. My questions are...

Is there ammo that doesn't recoil like the slugs for 12ga? I want it for competition.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 10:00:42 PM EDT
[#1]
There are a tremendous variety of loads available for the 12 gauge.  I would suggest you get some proper shotgun instruction or at least buy the "Art of the Dynamic ShotGun" DVD/BlueRay from Magpul Dynamics.  Enjoy !
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 10:12:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Speaking of shotguns and learning I agree with your thoughts. Also I can't start my own post yet since I'm not a paying member but wanted to pass along that one of the greatest shotgun shooters ever born passed away this last week in Dallas, Texas.
Richard Smith was a champion of champions in the Pigeon Shooting ring. He traveled the world and won on every coast. Many called him King Richard. He was a kind, giving, and respected shooter. He also loved to teach the in's and out's of shooting moving targets. He will be missed by all that knew him.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 10:53:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By CapeBretoner:
There are a tremendous variety of loads available for the 12 gauge.  I would suggest you get some proper shotgun instruction or at least buy the "Art of the Dynamic ShotGun" DVD/BlueRay from Magpul Dynamics.  Enjoy !

I am petite size. You think 12ga is okay for me shooting competition? Too much recoil might not be good but if there's loads that doesn't kick as much, I rather get a 12ga since its most common guage.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 4:09:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Starcraftmlg:
Originally Posted By CapeBretoner:

I am petite size. You think 12ga is okay for me shooting competition? Too much recoil might not be good but if there's loads that doesn't kick as much, I rather get a 12ga since its most common guage.

With a proper fitting stock and technique the 12 gauge is fine.  There are many reduced recoil loads available.  Semi auto gas operated shotguns tend to have a little less recoil with standard loads but may not function with all reduced recoil ammunition.  You need to specify what exactly you want to do with with gun in order for others to give suggestions.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 11:12:19 PM EDT
[#5]
What kind of competition
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 11:57:06 PM EDT
[#6]
3gun competition
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Start with 7/8oz birdshot and move up loads from there, soon the 12 gauge slug won't be so bad
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Guess I'll be getting the 12ga since its very common! Benelli M2 here I come! Maybe M4... Don't know if its worth the extra $400!
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 5:30:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Guess I'll be getting the 12ga since its very common! Benelli M2 here I come! Maybe M4... Don't know if its worth the extra $400!

If you're getting into 3-gun, you want the M2 - not the M4.  Spend the extra bucks getting a nordic tube, a C-RUMs welded lifter mod, and practice ammo.    

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 8:53:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thedude27] [#11]

Make sure you get the comfortech stock on it.  I have an M2 that I use for 3gun as well as sporting clays, the comfortech sucks up the recoil nicely.  Mostly for 3gun I use the same stuff as clays, 7.5 heavy target loads, unless its a slug stage(or something odd).  You could go lighter than that but when you hit the large poppers its nice to see them start falling immediately so you dont have to wonder if you got it.  Couldnt be happier with that gun. The M2 comes with 5 chokes as well which is nice not to have to buy as an extra.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#12]
The Federal 12 gauge Tactical reduced recoil loads are what you want. Not only do they kick less they are very accurate.

Technique is critical in holding the shotgun. I spent most of my adult life holding the stock to my shoulder just as tight as I could in an effort to absorb the harsh recoil. That is not the proper technique and only leads to pain and exhaustion.

Magpul's "The Way of the Shotgun" was the first real training I ever looked at and it changed a bunch of long held bad habits.

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 4:23:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZippZ] [#13]
Take a class on shotgun shooting and it is all about the technique and just getting used to the recoil.  After a couple full days and few hundred shells of training, you'll be used to the recoil.  It's still quiet a bit of recoil, but you'll get used to it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top