Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2017 5:54:55 AM EDT
I'd like to become a CCW instructor, but don't know which certification I should pursue such as USCCA, NRA PPOTH, Utah CCW, or other certifications.  Would like to know your experience with them, comparisons, and why you chose to go the route you did.

Hawaii does not issue CCW permits and does not have any reciprocity or training requirements.  So my class would focus on obtaining a non-resident permit in another state.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Certainly not an expert, but I am an NRA Instructor(Basic Pistol, PPITH). Here in Michigan, the state can recognize different courses for CPL training.  The most commonly taught is the NRA PPItH, you mentioned PPOTH. PPITH is a prerequsite for that, so in MI you would do better teaching PPITH, however the state also recogizes other training also. I know in Kansas the state developed its own course and certifies individuals to teach it.  You will have to do a lot of research to determine what each state requires/recognizes for it own concealed carry requirement.  My advice is to become an NRA instructor, beginning level is Basic Pistol, then PPITH, then PPOTH, and not worry about the concealed requirements of other states.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for your input.  I'm currently an NRA training counselor in pistol and PPITH, Sig Instructor cert, prior LE and military, and some other stuff.  So I have the background, but now am stuck at that point where I have to decide which CCW route to go.  I know some states have low or no requirements for a CCW permit, but I would like to train my students well if they should need to use their CCW.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never been to the USCCA course, but I've heard good things about. I have done the NRA PPOTH course and thought it was a great course, especially for the the desired target audience.  My only complaint would be the low round count.  I'd recommend the NRA PPOTH course mainly because they make instructor/counselors go through the actual PPOTH before attending the PPOTH instructor course.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I enjoyed going through the NRA PPOTH advanced class at F.A.S.T. O.C.  I thought there was a good amount of shooting and techniques covered, not sure if they're part of the class or if the instructor added things in.  I never attended or heard much about the USCCA course except they have good teaching materials.    The Utah CCW course seems to be very light on material by itself, but the instructor training is only one day long and cheap.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 2:44:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Looking for more input, especially if you are a CCW instructor.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#6]
With your LE background, you may want to check in to getting your hand gun /shot gun instructor's ticket from the NRA's Law Enforcement Activities Division.

While it's been a decade or more since I obtained my NRA Basic Pistol instructor's cert, I found that the subsequent LE hg/sg certs were fairly substantially more up to date with regard to current training, tactics and accepted trends in the industry.  Basic Pistol (citizen's/civilian's) material was pretty dated, at the time.  That may have changed somewhere along the way.

If I were in your shoes and A.O., I'd probably be looking at becoming qualified to teach either the Utah or Florida CCW classes as they would provide the most versatility and added value (bang for their buck) to your students as they may travel back to and around the conus from the islands.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#7]
It's been almost 20 years since I took my NRA basic pistol class, and it hasn't changed much since then.  I think the book is still the same.  They are revising the program and getting rid of the failed online basic pistol course.  I see some states just take the NRA Basic Pistol or some don't require any training, and I wonder how those people would react if they had to fire a gun at a criminal.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:34:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's been almost 20 years since I took my NRA basic pistol class, and it hasn't changed much since then.  I think the book is still the same.  They are revising the program and getting rid of the failed online basic pistol course.  I see some states just take the NRA Basic Pistol or some don't require any training, and I wonder how those people would react if they had to fire a gun at a criminal.
View Quote

Where have you seen this, I haven't heard anything about it?  Currently, it's still listed as the only way to take the NRA Basic Pistol course.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:04:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Where have you seen this, I haven't heard anything about it?  Currently, it's still listed as the only way to take the NRA Basic Pistol course.
View Quote

Don't worry, salvation is coming to us NRA Instructors.  Still going to be a while since they have to test and finalize the new lesson plans.  I'm not sure if they're keeping the online portion as an option, I forgot to ask about that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#10]
NRA is the most widely accepted among states that require training.

That said, I'd look into which states, that offer non-resident CCW permits, have the strongest lobby groups.  Florida has awfully strong ties to Washington power players and strong lobby within the state.

Why is that important?....because other states like to play games with reciprocity.  Florida doesn't have the strongest training requirements....but what it does have to strong influence on the other states.  

I'm not saying go with the intent to steer your students towards Florida permits....but investigate which state has a strong 2A lobby group and legislature and that's how I'd pick what training plan going forward.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd like to become a CCW instructor, but don't know which certification I should pursue such as USCCA, NRA PPOTH, Utah CCW, or other certifications.  Would like to know your experience with them, comparisons, and why you chose to go the route you did.

Hawaii does not issue CCW permits and does not have any reciprocity or training requirements.  So my class would focus on obtaining a non-resident permit in another state.
View Quote

My recommendation would be to make the trip to Utah to take the class from BCI, given the conditions in your state. Utah seems to be the gold standard for non-resident permits/licenses.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

The NRA pistol instructor updates for blended and instructor led training have been updated in the NRA instructor portal.  An updates screen pops up as soon as you log in.  It pops up for training counselors...not sure if it's visible for instructors.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:32:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The NRA pistol instructor updates for blended and instructor led training have been updated in the NRA instructor portal.  An updates screen pops up as soon as you log in.  It pops up for training counselors...not sure if it's visible for instructors.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not seeing any updates, all of the training materials available to me still reference students taking Phase I of the Basic Pistol Course through the online training system, and there's nothing on the "NRA Training Updates" page either.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:16:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm not seeing any updates, all of the training materials available to me still reference students taking Phase I of the Basic Pistol Course through the online training system, and there's nothing on the "NRA Training Updates" page either.
View Quote

I guess it was just sent to training counselors.  It talks about 2 separate ways to teach the pistol course through blended learning (current) or instructor led training (previous).  Also modifications on both programs.  I'll post more in the other thread.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:45:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I guess it was just sent to training counselors.  It talks about 2 separate ways to teach the pistol course through blended learning (current) or instructor led training (previous).  Also modifications on both programs.  I'll post more in the other thread.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to another TC I know, there's supposed to be a more public announcement later this month, including possibly a podcast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top