Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2016 12:22:50 PM EDT
I decided to purchase my first AR15 to round out a budding gun collection. That and the desire to have all of the tools available to me if there were ever a time I needed to protect myself or my family. But I want to not only know how to operate the weapon, I want to know how to utilize it in an emergency situation. It's easy to go to the range after work and shoot paper targets, but I feel it's a whole different ballgame to learn how to move, reload, shoot on the move, get to cover, etc.

As an AR15 novice, how have you trained with your weapon? Have you taken classes, read books, or watched films to help you perfect your self defense ability? What kind of advice or training would you recommend for someone to get a good education and understanding of utilizing the weapon in self defense scenarios?
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 12:36:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I enlisted, spent 24 years as an 11B and 19D.  That worked out well.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 12:43:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Try an Appleseed training but first learn to fieldstrip and clean the rifle even if blindfolded.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 1:11:33 AM EDT
[#3]
My first AR was at about age 15. I enlisted, spent a few years as a 19D. Now work a well-armed job.

I learned decent maintenance and 0-300yd iron sight shooting stoof in the army. Progressed it all by redaing up with online sources, AGI vids, etc. Putting in range time to keep the marksmanship side semi-fresh. Networked and ended up getting into precision rifle a bit. Have taken some Front Sight courses, which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND for anyone looking to gain the skill outside the military. Shot a number of action pistol matches, now started into 3-gun. Also had some of the industry-type training for my day job.

Key thing, figure out disassembly, reassembly, cleaning, etc. Recommend AGI vids or talking to legit armorers much more than all the crap youtube vids.

Then go out to Front Sight.

ETA: I basically wasted time and ammo from age 12 to 17 with all my guns. The army really turned that around with formal instruction. You can't even fathom the difference until you do it. But even after that, it needs a STRONG follow up. Save all that time and ammo and just go to Front Sight or another professional industry course.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 1:29:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I decided to purchase my first AR15 to round out a budding gun collection. That and the desire to have all of the tools available to me if there were ever a time I needed to protect myself or my family. But I want to not only know how to operate the weapon, I want to know how to utilize it in an emergency situation. It's easy to go to the range after work and shoot paper targets, but I feel it's a whole different ballgame to learn how to move, reload, shoot on the move, get to cover, etc.

As an AR15 novice, how have you trained with your weapon? Have you taken classes, read books, or watched films to help you perfect your self defense ability? What kind of advice or training would you recommend for someone to get a good education and understanding of utilizing the weapon in self defense scenarios?
View Quote

While I haven't had to honor to serve in our exceptional military to get that type of training, I have invested the time, money, along with the mental and physical attributes it would take to protect my family if that day ever presents itself. Over the course of the last 11-12 years, I've taken classes with some of the well known instructors as well as local ones that were just as capable. While I do not go as often as I would like now, there was a point in time where I went to the range on a weekly basis for close to 4 years straight. This wasn't a static range and we could set up and shoot however we desired.

I also attend pistol and 2 gun matches on a monthly basis and that definitely helps me personally since I do not get to the range as often as I would like to. I think taking a class would definitely help you with everything you listed and you should check out your hometown forum to see what's offered locally.

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:31:43 AM EDT
[#5]
The easiest and cheapest thing you can do is start with some dry firing. Buy some dummy rounds and practice loading/unloading the rifle, cycling rounds, manipulating the safety, adjusting sights, etc…. This way when you get to the range you aren’t wasting your time on simple tasks.

When you go to the range always shoot for accuracy, not speed. Once you master accuracy then you can work on speeding your shots up. So many people start shooting fast and then try and work on accuracy later, it doesn’t work that way.

Now that you have the basics of how to handle and fire the rifle you can work towards more advanced skills, like clearing jams, tactical reloads, etc… I would recommend doing lots of reading and watching youtube videos. Its free and gives you an idea of where to get started.

Finally you can start taking classes. I recommend this for last as you need a good skill base prior to attending to take full advantage of what they are teaching. Classes are usually expensive but are well worth it and you will likely learn more in 1 class than you will with months of reading and watching YouTube videos.

My last piece of advice is as you build your self-defense setup, take into account what fits YOUR needs. Just because law enforcement use a certain caliber of firearm or navy seals use a specific light/laser doesn’t mean its right for you. Defending you home and family is very different than hunting down the Taliban in some desert third world country. Oh and don't forget physical fitness. The best guns and gear are worthless if you break a sweat getting off the couch to walk tot he fridge.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#6]
With the AR, you need to incorporate safety manipulation, mag changes, use of the sling, off hand transition, etc. There really is a sort of "athleticness" that goes with getting the most out of the AR.

I've been fortunate to have met a local LEO a couple years ago who happens to be the captain of his department's SWAT unit. I get to go over his place every now and again, and he runs me through various drills. I'm almost 40 and never thought I'd get to do anything like that and I love it. One of these days I'll take an actual carbine class and thanks to my cop buddy, I'll be comfortable from the jump as I'll already have a decent handle on the basics.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:44:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When you go to the range always shoot for accuracy, not speed. Once you master accuracy then you can work on speeding your shots up. So many people start shooting fast and then try and work on accuracy later, it doesn’t work that way.

View Quote

This is extremely true with pistols as well. You have to get your fundamentals down first and then speed things up.

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is extremely true with pistols as well. You have to get your fundamentals down first and then speed things up.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Speed w/accuracy will come in time.
Tomac
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#9]
would suggest the practical shooting sports... I'm more familiar with USPSA, but whatever is local to you
I started shooting USPSA pistol around 1982 (A2365 USPSA number ), when scoring was done on individual hand calculators... extra time at match allowed us a chance to shoot rifle and shotgun side matches
we started shooting some local 3 gun and the Naples Swamp Romp was the big match of the year
Mikey invited me to one of Kyle Lamb's North Carolina Tactical matches in 95, and a lot of what showed up in the Viking Tactics training was there as stages... shot 4 of his matches prior to 911... when he got busy with other problems
5 years of Chevy Truck Sportsman's Team Challenge... off hand rifle skills
shot all 6 of the first Ft Benning 3 gun matches starting in 2005, got to play on some realistic props like the Conex outpost on the sniper range, and the multi story shoot house
Area 6 Multi gun matches have been the focus.... last ones put on by Shannon test your athletic as well as shooting skills for an old overweight guy
local .22 multigun matches allow us to shoot on a pistol size range
easily 350,000 rounds.... good sport to learn gun handling... met some great people along the way
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#11]
The answer to the riddle of steel is what you are seeking.

1. Physical Fitness
2. Mindset

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it? Look at the strength of your body, the desire in your heart...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top