Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2016 1:00:15 AM EDT
I am just browsing now.  I dont know where I will be this summer.  Just depends on what I do for work.  I am hoping to take a carbine and/or pistol course.  Money will be tight so I cant afford some uber tacticool $1500 course but would still like to find a solid one.

What worries me is that a lot of the instructors/classes/courses I have looked at have different levels.  Before you can take level 2 you need to do level 1.  Level 1 always seems to have the description "we will cover basic firearm saftey, maintenace, cleaning, and marksmanship".  They then have prices of $150+.  I'm not saying that I wouldnt benefit from one like this I just dont want to spend $150 to go learn how to dissasemble my firearms and then be told the basics of shooting.  Maybe if it were a $60 course but I cant justify hundreds of dollars on stuff I have learned and known for years.

Im good at standing/kneeling/sitting/laying in one spot and shooting, but I want to advance myself to the next level and dont want to teach myself bad techniques.

If I were in Utah I will be anywhere from SLC to the Idaho Border.
If I were in Idaho I will be around CDA or Boise.
If I were in Montana I will be around Billings or Bozeman.

Anyone have input?

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 1:24:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I am just browsing now.  I dont know where I will be this summer.  Just depends on what I do for work.  I am hoping to take a carbine and/or pistol course.  Money will be tight so I cant afford some uber tacticool $1500 course but would still like to find a solid one.

What worries me is that a lot of the instructors/classes/courses I have looked at have different levels.  Before you can take level 2 you need to do level 1.  Level 1 always seems to have the description "we will cover basic firearm saftey, maintenace, cleaning, and marksmanship".  They then have prices of $150+.  I'm not saying that I wouldnt benefit from one like this I just dont want to spend $150 to go learn how to dissasemble my firearms and then be told the basics of shooting.  Maybe if it were a $60 course but I cant justify hundreds of dollars on stuff I have learned and known for years.

Im good at standing/kneeling/sitting/laying in one spot and shooting, but I want to advance myself to the next level and dont want to teach myself bad techniques.

If I were in Utah I will be anywhere from SLC to the Idaho Border.

If I were in Idaho I will be around CDA or Boise.

If I were in Montana I will be around Billings or Bozeman.

Anyone have input?

View Quote

Pretty much any instructor is going to require you to take their basic level class to establish your level.

I take a few courses throughout the year from http://practicalfirearmstraining.com/ Pat and the crew are great.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 1:47:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I understand that, and I would benefit from a good instructor led basics class.
I just want to make sure its not a $150 class where I sit there for 6 hours and watch power points on how to clean and how to be safe then we go out and shoot 150 rounds at a paper target and they say good or bad.  

Maybe its just the way PFT describes their classes but to me they look/sound solid.  They say where they are putting emphasis.

Here is a class description for another place I saw
This class is designed for new shooters and is the first step in our program. The course will introduce students to the fundamentals of marksmanship, operation of semi-automatics and revolvers and firearm safety. The class includes a live-fire portion using .22 LR and 9mm/.38 Special firearms. All equipment and supplies provided by us. This class requires a student to be at least 14 years of age and if under age 18, accompanied by a parent or guardian.
View Quote

This class isnt cheap and to me it just sounds like a waste of money, but maybe it is better than it sounds?

Then the next class they offer, the one I am interested in is this
This class will bridge the gap between the Basic Handgun Safety and Women and Guns courses to the defensive, hands-on applications involving firearms. Topics covered will include marksmanship fundamentals as they apply to defensive use of handguns, malfunction clearance, reloading techniques, strong and support hand shooting techniques and an introduction to low-light shooting. Students should be prepared for moderate physical activity and two eight-hour training days. The class will be conducted in a two-day, 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM format with a one hour lunch each day. Students will be required to provide/bring a suitable handgun (9mm/.38 Special or larger unless prior approval is obtained from the Training Director), 500 rounds of FMJ/TMJ/JHP/JSP ammunition, a strong-side inside-the-waistband or belt holster (no appendix, shoulder, fanny pack/purse or ankle carry for safety reasons), at least three magazines or speedloaders, a baseball cap or hat, eye and ear protection. Students must have completed Basic Handgun Safety or Women and Guns to participate.
View Quote

That sounds better to me but for both of those classes I am looking at spending more than PFT's Defensive Handgun I.  I just want the most bang for my buck
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 2:09:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Wy not one of the magpul classes in Wyoming?
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 2:22:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Not any good carbine classes in the Bitterroot valley here in western MT.  Keep looking.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 5:50:14 AM EDT
[#5]
If in Idaho, check out Trinity Defense.
Advertises via facebook.

That company is in the Twin Falls, Rupert, Kimberely, Hailey area.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:26:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out Arrowhead.

Former team mate of mine; just check out the instructor page.

Hopefully he's nicer to his paying customers than he was to us!

He still does overseas work so I don't know about his schedule.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Deliberate dynamics is just outside Logan, UT.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks all I will look into those
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Consider Front Sight, Nv.  It is outside your travel range; however, you can find a Life Membership there for few hundred, this would allow you to take all the classes they offer.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Something to consider is that a lot of instructors will travel. Most of them will also offer you a free training slot if you organize the course and it meets an agreed upon minimum sign up number. I would suggest researching the instructor and training you want, discuss it with friends and your local range to see if the interest is there and then contact the instructor to see what you can set up. With a moderate amount of leg work on your end- you can save a good amount of money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top