Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2015 1:57:08 PM EDT
An easy to reach location near me has good supply of extra cutoff pieces of AR500 steel in several thicknesses. When I questioned on price he said I could figure close to $17.00 a square foot for 3/8 steel and $22.00 a square foot for 1/2 thick steel.  

Does this sound like I would be overpaying to anyone? Is this a fair price as to not have to order heavy targets by mail or waste gas driving for miles for junky steel i'm going to practice with?  Thanks.

Hopefully this is a proper location for this post.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:19:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Very fair price.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#2]
My brother has a steel fabrication company that also makes and sells steel targets. Steel cost varies, but the last time he bought a 4'x8' sheet of 3/8" AR500 its was around $25 per sq ft. You're definitely getting a good deal since it sounds like they'd just be scrapping it anyway.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:26:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Considering that a 10x10 1/2" square would cost you ~$50+shipping I would say that is a good price.  Pending their scrap is big enough to make useable targets.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 2:57:50 AM EDT
[#4]
You need to make sure that it's American made AR500, not Chinese. We got a "deal" on some AR500 that didn't last a match that was cheap because it was Chinese and learned that the standards are different.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:20:16 AM EDT
[#5]
It's not Chinese, thanks for the heads up.  The only thing I'm wandering is if welds will hold up to shots.  I am going to basically try to just piece together some full size targets from smaller pieces.  Unfortunately, this would make them one sided.  I don't plan on shooting them closer then 100 yards as I have other targets for that.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 12:44:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not Chinese, thanks for the heads up.  The only thing I'm wandering is if welds will hold up to shots.  I am going to basically try to just piece together some full size targets from smaller pieces.  Unfortunately, this would make them one sided.  I don't plan on shooting them closer then 100 yards as I have other targets for that.
View Quote

AR plate should weld as good or better the mild steel, just don't weld it cold maybe even pre heat just a bit.
I sell AR plate for a living to the mining industry (what it was designed for)
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Welding it will alter the heat treating and hardness.

Not that you can't weld them but I would expect they won't be as durable as they were before.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top