Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2015 11:32:16 AM EDT
First I should state I am new to shooting only having shoot various weapons about a dozen or more times. My reasons for purchasing my weapons are for personal defense as well as sport shooting. With that in mind I've purchased several weapons including a pistol (Glock 19 Gen 4) and a Colt 6920 with a EOTech 556.

As a new owner of a AR I'm planning on making quite a few visits to local ranges to get as comfortable with my new rifle as possible. My goal when purchasing my AR was to attend a local (North Texas area) training class. My concern is I don't want to be that guy who shows up to a class and is not ready. So I'm looking for guidance on how quickly I should be considering signing up for a class? I should also add looking around at scheduling it seems like there aren't many local options for several months from now.    

The last thing I would add is I'm already signed up and going to a Texas CHL class in a couple of weeks. So my focus for this post is more to do with my AR than my pistol.

Thanks for the feedback  
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Look into Tiger Valley in Waco.

Call them if you need recommendations on gear.

The only thing you need to be 'ready' is good safety habits... Keeping trigger finger on the frame and outside the trigger guard when you dont have sights on target.  Always knowing where your muzzle is pointed and not pointing it down at your feet or point it sideways or at bystanders when reloading.  Practice clicking the safety on and off.

When dryfiring at home its best to keep any loaded mags in an entirely different room.  Otherwise accudents will eventually happen.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#2]
OP, for a basic 1st time level 1 carbine class you should:

Be familiar with your gun and its operation.  Know how to safety load and unload the gun.  Know the 4 basic rules of gun handling. Learn good finger discipline, meaning keeping your finger indexed and not on the trigger until you've made a conscience decision to shoot.  Learn to engage the safety automatically when you are not shooting.  Don't go overboard with buying new gear, all you need is 2 mag holders that attached to a good gun belt, a sling, and perhaps tactical pants with extra large pockets or a dump pouch.  As you take classes you will discover what works and what doesn't.  "Keep it simple stupid" is a good motto to follow.

Go slow, be safe and have fun.  Slow and smooth turns into fast and accurate with practice.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Have your optic and rifle sighted in before the class and be receptive to your instructors (I have no doubt you will be as you are asking for advice here beforehand).  Good ones will say they are showing A way, not the ONLY way.  

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:32:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Texas CHL classes do NOT teach marksmanship or weapon handling, so don't expect to learn anything about shooting at that class. It focuses mostly on the legal aspects of concealed carry.

Do not hesitate to sign up for a basic level class. A good class will start with basic weapon operation like loading/unloading and progress to further weapon handling and marksmanship. Just be safe and be prepared to drink from a fire hose of knowledge if you are not familiar with your weapons.

Tiger Valley is a good option in Waco. They used to put on classes in Elm Fork in the DFW area, but I don't know if they still do.

CSAT is in Nacogdoches, but that's probably further from you than Waco.

I'm pretty sure Green Eye Tactical puts on classes in North Texas.

A lot of well known trainers also travel to the DFW area for classes.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:38:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Texas CHL classes do NOT teach marksmanship or weapon handling, so don't expect to learn anything about shooting at that class. It focuses mostly on the legal aspects of concealed carry.

Do not hesitate to sign up for a basic level class. A good class will start with basic weapon operation like loading/unloading and progress to further weapon handling and marksmanship. Just be safe and be prepared to drink from a fire hose of knowledge if you are not familiar with your weapons.

Tiger Valley is a good option in Waco. They used to put on classes in Elm Fork in the DFW area, but I don't know if they still do.

CSAT is in Nacogdoches, but that's probably further from you than Waco.

I'm pretty sure Green Eye Tactical puts on classes in North Texas.

A lot of well known trainers also travel to the DFW area for classes.
View Quote

Haven't done either of the others but CSAT was top notch marked improvement in my shooting for a pistol 1 class.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:06:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out an Appleseed event for.good basic rifle marksmanship training.

https://appleseedinfo.org/

Link Posted: 8/7/2015 12:31:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Would definitely recommend Eric @ Green Eye Tactical for Rifle (or handgun). He would help you sight in your rifle depending on ammo and set up
Also Jeff @ realistic defense
Both top notch instructors
Both are very approachable with questions and concerns
You need an open mind and safe handling. they will guide you...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top