Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2015 11:36:29 AM EDT
I've come to realize that this is probably my largest deficit in shooting from a scoped rifle. I don't seem to maintain a consistent cheek weld and so I'm seeing poor groups due to parallax. I'm considering putting tape on my stock or cutting a notch into it so that I hit the same exact position every time.

How do you manage to hold a consistent cheek weld?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you are already doing some things to create "landmarks" to help you get a repeatable weld.  Sometimes a small cheek riser (even if just a thing piece of foam) can help create a very natural position for your cheek and it will have a certain "feel" to it that you can get every time.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of scope do you have? When you set up, do you check and adjust for parallax? After I adjust my scopes, minor movement does not effect me... even though a consistent cheek weld/position is not a problem for me, I've noticed slight movement shows no crosshair/target movement. What about the stock...? Is it adjustable?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#3]
What kind of scope do you have?
Leupold 3-9x40.

When you set up, do you check and adjust for parallax?
No. I had no idea this was a standard procedure, so there is a good chance this is where I am failing.

What about the stock...? Is it adjustable?
Yes. I use one of the common AR-15 adjustable stocks, 8 Position Ergo F93 PRO. I tend to use the same position selection on the stock consistently, so I don't believe this is the issue.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#4]
In the Army they taught "nose to the charging handle"

I use LARUE SPR-E mounts to move the scope forward enough to get a proper cheek-weld.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I've just read up on my scope, it's the 3-9x40 VX-R, which has no parallax adjustment. Apparently on my last outing I did perform a rudimentary parallax check and verified that in the current configuration, shooting at 100 yards I am susceptible to it.

Derek45, thank you for the diagram on iron sight usage. That is also helpful as my technique there is also lacking.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#6]
With all my rifles that have magnified optics, I use tape on the stock. All of them.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Take a class on proper shooting fundamentals.

Not trying to make it a dick answer but shooting is mostly software, not hardware.  Gadgets don't fix poor fundamentals.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, that is in the works, but for now I figured I would ask for help. Thank you for your response.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 3:54:21 PM EDT
[#9]
What type of rifle are you shooting?  What type of optic?  How high off the top of the receiver is it?

My AR15's - I set up the optics so that I can use the rear of the charging handle to put my nose on, just like the iron sights.  Consistency is key.

My M1 Garands - I wrap my right thumb over the top of the wrist of the stock and set my head so that the knuckle on my thumb sticks into my cheek in the same spot, every time - consistency is key.

My M1A - I put a higher cheek piece on it due to the scope/mount set up.  Again, I set my cheek into the front/upper corner of that cheek piece in the same spot.  Consistency is key.

I found out years ago, at an Appleseed, that even at 25 meters, as you transition from one target to another, you'll move your groups off POA if you don't have good, consistent cheek weld method/practice.  I'll always remember the instructor saying, "Hey, nice groups.  Any idea why they aren't where you want them to be?"

NPOA - natural point of aim.  You need to get it figured out and practice it.  Eventually your body will automatically set up correctly after enough practice.

Something we did at the RBC (Rifleman's Boot Camp) that I went to in Feb. 2006 - we practiced NPOA in prone sling supported till we felt confidence in our being able to do it right.  Then we set up targets at 25 meters, got into a sling supported prone firing position, closed our eyes and shot 5 shot groups.  It's something you have to do to believe it.  Oh, that was with my M1A, not a .22.  Also makes you appreciate the sling to help control that recoil.  At that time, in Appleseed, most shooter's were using .30 caliber rifles or AR15's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top