Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2015 11:01:53 AM EDT
I am scheduled for a hand gun course this spring and I have a question for those that have been there. I am buying my ammo from them and am wondering what brand of ammo they use.  Is the brass reloadable or is it some of the non-reloadable stuff?  If it is reloadable is there a way that a person can recover some of it?  Since I am buying 600 rounds of 45ACP ammo, it would be nice to be able to get the brass that I fire.
This is the first training of this type that I have done, so it should be interesting and I hope fun!
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#1]
The last time I was out there (October 2014):

You could not pick up your brass.  Front Sight has a contract with a local company that picks up the brass, or some such.  

Ammo was from StockPile Defense.

The following are places I have been to in Parhump.  There is a WalMart there also.
StockPile Defense www.stockpiledefensefsnv.com

The Master At Arms Gun Shop www.themasteratarms.com.  Master At Arms will take a shipment of ammo for you, call them and ask.

You can bring 11 pounds of ammo with you, in a locked hard sided case.  Check with your airline about their rules.  Alaska Airlines would let you take more but you have to go through the air freight side of the airport.

Las Vegas has many gun stores too.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:33:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Good information, but since we are driving from Alaska and can not take 'restricted' hand guns through Canada, we will be renting our hand guns from the 'Pro Shop' at Front Sight.  This should be an interesting time!!!!!  I was hoping that there would be away for us to get the brass from the ammo that we paid for.  Guess not, but it sure would have been nice to get the 600 rounds of brass.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The last time I was out there (October 2014):

You could not pick up your brass.  Front Sight has a contract with a local company that picks up the brass, or some such.  

Ammo was from StockPile Defense.

The following are places I have been to in Parhump.  There is a WalMart there also.
StockPile Defense www.stockpiledefensefsnv.com

The Master At Arms Gun Shop www.themasteratarms.com.  Master At Arms will take a shipment of ammo for you, call them and ask.

You can bring 11 pounds of ammo with you, in a locked hard sided case.  Check with your airline about their rules.  Alaska Airlines would let you take more but you have to go through the air freight side of the airport.

Las Vegas has many gun stores too.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#3]
3 things:

1) Call Front Sight, they have an Alaska campus on Keni Peninsula.  They may know how you can do this legally and can give you the scoop.  I am certain many people have gone the opposite direction you have gone traveling.

2) Call the US and Canadian Costumes.  See if there is a way you can transport through without an issue.  I have heard (and I do not remember where) that you can check weapons that are illegal at the Canadian Boarder and they will reopen your SEALED container going into the US.  I thought someone told be it was a lead and wire seal, if the seal is broken you are going to prison in Canada.

3) I have known people that ship firearms to themselves regularly.  They do not want to fly with their weapons.  UPS or FedEx it to yourself.  You might have to have a relative ship your box next day when you arrive.

Let us know what you find ouit or have found out on this.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:37:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Ask your Front Sight instructor if you can pickup the brass.  They will normally allow you to do this at the end of the day if you ask.  Going to be a pain in the butt since your brass will be scattered around with 40 other people's brass.

I have some front sight gun rental certificates which are cheaper than paying cash.  PM me if you're interested.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I've done the 4-day rifle and handgun. For both they discouraged picking up brass (prohibited it during shooting for obvious reasons) but didn't stop folks unless they were slowing things down or being too anal about it. Official policy is "No" but the instructors are nice people.

Can't recall what handgun ammo we were sold with our rented guns but it was from Stockpile. Rifle ammo was Independence 5.56 FWIW. Rented firearms both times as I didn't have any at the time.

ETA: Like an above poster said, look into FS Alaska. Might be a whole lot easier for you.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:02:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Even if there wasn't a contract with a company for the brass you wouldn't have the time to pick it up. You have enough time to reload your mags, that's it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#7]
The Front Sight Alaska facility is only available to "First Family" members. I can help if anyone has an interest.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 5:09:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Another option is to purchase your ammunition online and have it delivered to Front Sight for pickup when you take your class. There's also a large Bass Pro Shop at I-15 and Blue Diamond in Las Vegas if you're staying in the LV area and it's close to the airport.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top