Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2014 12:10:59 AM EDT
Well, do you?

As I'm sure most of us are aware, the NRA forbids any loaded guns or ammunition to be present during NRA-approved courses, to include the instructors. But, for non-NRA-approved courses, do you carry a loaded gun while teaching?

Do you never carry while instructing, whether in a classroom or on the range?

Do you not carry in class, but do on the range?

Do you carry at all times, both in class and in the range?

Does your response depend on the class being taught? (i.e. LE course, basic gun safety class, tactical-style class, known students vs. random strangers off the street)
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:12:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:16:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:38:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't teach NRA classes

I carry loaded, unloaded, or a dummy gun depending on what I will be teaching next.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:03:59 AM EDT
[#4]
No live ammo in the classroom, ever, no matter where the classroom is.  

For me, range exercises are no longer classroom, but modified safety rules may apply depending on what's being taught and the range rules in operation.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:08:16 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're carrying a loaded firearm, it's not a training aid. I know it's a novel concept...but it really cuts down on stupid shit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:25:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Depends mainly on topic and location.  No physical carry while in the actual classroom BUT discretely available close at hand... you never know who is attending.  While on the range, same thing, depends on the topic/subject/drill.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#7]
No loaded firearms in the class room, range is hot.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Any instructior I train under better carry a hot gun while at a class, i dont care if its on a range, in a shoothouse or in a classroom. I dont trust a guy who doesnt trust himself not to carry.
As we all know the NRA classes are a joke and have about as much worth as tits on a boar, its akin to being a finalist in the publishers clearing house.......everybodies a finalist.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Any instructior I train under better carry a hot gun while at a class, i dont care if its on a range, in a shoothouse or in a classroom. I dont trust a guy who doesnt trust himself not to carry.

As we all know the NRA classes are a joke and have about as much worth as tits on a boar, its akin to being a finalist in the publishers clearing house.......everybodies a finalist.
View Quote

The NRA basic classes are just that - basic.  They're oriented towards the person who has never fired a gun before and knows nothing about them.  Which is one reason they devote a significant chunk of time to giving options for further improvement, such as additional training, competition, and drills for personal improvement.  The information and training steps up a notch with the Personal Protection classes.  They're still not really intermediate or advanced classes where you'll put hundreds of rounds downrange each day.

For the original question, for an NRA class, I'm required to abide by the NRA rules.  For my own classes, you can bet I have at least one loaded firearm on me at all times, and especially when on the range.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I really don't understand the "no live ammo in the classroom"' or unloaded guns in the classroom thing.

If people leave their damn guns in the holsters and dint pull them out and wave them about, why would it matter ?

All Guns Are Always Loaded. Pretty much covers it.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I really don't understand the "no live ammo in the classroom"' or unloaded guns in the classroom thing.

If people leave their damn guns in the holsters and dint pull them out and wave them about, why would it matter ?

View Quote

A lot of drills on loading/unloading firearms and dry-firing happen during the classroom portion, they're trying to reduce the risks of someone inadvertently loading a live round and having a discharge, particularly with inexperienced shooters.  My TC told me he had heard of ONE exception to the policy - a private class taught at NRA HQ, one of the students had a security detail who remained armed.  Said student having been in the news for peppering a fellow hunter with birdshot on a hunting trip...

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#12]
"For the original question, for an NRA class, I'm required to abide by the NRA rules. For my own classes, you can bet I have at least one loaded firearm on me at all times, and especially when on the range."

Yes, that pretty much covers my approach.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 5:44:50 PM EDT
[#13]
No NRA here so I carry always.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#14]
A SIRT pistol is an invaluable tool for demonstration, you should look into it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I think a better question is if instructors are actually demonstrating the skills that they are teaching?  
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've paid particular attention to how you personally handle dummy-guns in class.  It's been reassuring to watch you handle them at all times exactly as a loaded weapon. It's one of the small details that keeps me coming back.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:51:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I always carry a loaded pistol unless we are conducting simunitions training. All of my student have loaded weapons in the classroom as well. Our rule is that you keep your weapon holstered while in the classroom. If I need you to hand over your weapon you step outside to the clearing barrel and return to the classroom gun in hand, slide locked to the rear. Most time this is not necessary and I will just have a look at the gun outside the classroom. The range where I teach is a hot range and does not have controlled access to the range property during normal hours. All guns are always loaded is the number one rule and in our case it is also the order of the day.

When it is necessary to demonstrate manipulation techniques in the classroom I either use a dummy gun or a red Glock (non firing). If for some reason neither of these is immediately available I will on occasion use a Simunitions Glock. But I will not use or allow anyone else around me to use a fully functioning firearm for demonstration purposes in the classroom.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:24:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No live ammo in the classroom, ever, no matter where the classroom is.  

For me, range exercises are no longer classroom, but modified safety rules may apply depending on what's being taught and the range rules in operation.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#19]
When I teach CCW classes I do carry but in an ankle holster.  I use my normal IWB holster as a teaching aid and an unloaded weapon with a safety plug also.  

On the range, I carry in my normal position.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Since I rent the use of a museum for my classes and they were antsy about guns and gun training, plus my own beliefs about training safety . . . any classroom demos are ONLY with the use of a Blue Gun, period!

I primarily teach PPIH and PPOH and save the demos with live guns for the range. The classroom portions of these classes does not call for students handling guns.

When I teach my own classes or non-NRA classes, I'm always armed. The few other instructors I have taught with are people who I trust implicitly and therefore I do not ask them if they are armed or not, we are all on the same page wrt safety.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#21]
If I am teaching a ccw class or intro class, no. During my advanced classes, I have a gun but do not load it until I need to use live fire as a demonstrator. I have an easier time showing something while talking about it, so I use my pistol from time to time. I always have a student check that it is clear before I do anything with it , and still keep it pointed down rrsnge at all times.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#22]
depends on the policies where i would be teaching
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I will keep my primary on my hip unloaded for demonstration purposes.

That says nothing about the p238 that will remain hidden in my pocket unless I need it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Classroom - don't use it as a training aid. Leave it in the holster.

Range - unload before demoing to students unless live fire is called for. Otherwise hot so I can demo drills and jump in with students.

Force on Force / Room clearing / etc - absolutely no live anything. Double, triple, quadruple check. No knives, guns, bangs, long sticks, or hair pins.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I carry at all times, until we transition to force on force munitions (Simunitions, FoF, etc.) at which point it would be irresponsible to still be carrying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top