Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2014 8:22:15 PM EDT
Anyone have experience training with them? I sent an email 3 days ago trying to sign up, but no response so far.  Maybe I'm just used to the pace of responding at work, but I'm wondering if anyone is out there.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I was going to take a class a couple years ago but stopped when I read the waiver.  It was different from any other waiver I've signed.  They want you to sign that if you get hurt because of them deliberately knowingly doing something which is wrong, that you will not take legal action.  

That is a tremendous load of crap.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not discounting the fact that Haley is a great instructor and brings a lot of value to the table, however I know too much about the guy from certain folks to dissuade me from ever training with him, pertaining to stuff he has done behind the scenes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Details?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Details?
View Quote

I'm sorry I won't slander or say something behind a guys back without him being able to back it up. He's a fellow veteran and I'll give him credit for his service to our country.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#5]
But you have no problem alluding to seemingly scandalous details?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm sorry I won't slander or say something behind a guys back without him being able to back it up. He's a fellow veteran and I'll give him credit for his service to our country.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Details?

You are basically trying, just without crossing the threshold of actually doing so.  Never understood the rationale of saying something like that in a thread.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Indemnify and Defend are the big hold ups for many........

Hold Harmless is easy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:06:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You are basically trying, just without crossing the threshold of actually doing so.  Never understood the rationale of saying something like that in a thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Details?

Call it what you will, and train with whomever you will. I know where my money will be spent.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:18:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Well frankly considering I still haven't gotten a response after 7 or so days now, I'm skeptical.  Still, it does no one any good to say something might be bad, but then not explain.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well frankly considering I still haven't gotten a response after 7 or so days now, I'm skeptical.  Still, it does no one any good to say something might be bad, but then not explain.
View Quote

With exception of some emergency I'd say that's you're sign to move on. Good luck bud.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I took a Magpul carbine class when he and Costa were the instructors, and I also took another carbine class from him after he ventured out on his own with Haley Strategic.

The carbine classes are very weapon manipulation oriented, and he's always made it clear that they are not tactics classes. If that's what you're looking for then I would recommend it. His classes are usually fairly large, but I still received a surprising amount of personal attention during the class.

I haven't taken any of his newer tactics based classes, so I can't comment on those.

ETA: Haley is not very responsive to emails IME. I'd try calling instead.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I took a Magpul carbine class when he and Costa were the instructors, and I also took another carbine class from him after he ventured out on his own with Haley Strategic.

The carbine classes are very weapon manipulation oriented, and he's always made it clear that they are not tactics classes. If that's what you're looking for then I would recommend it. His classes are usually fairly large, but I still received a surprising amount of personal attention during the class.

I haven't taken any of his newer tactics based classes, so I can't comment on those.

View Quote

That only takes you so far. After a class or two if you can't handle an AR15 then somethings wrong.

When someone wants to really know what's up, tactics-wise, they go to DARC.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:00:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
That only takes you so far. After a class or two if you can't handle an AR15 then somethings wrong.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed, but experienced shooters take weapon manipulation for granted since they've been doing it for so long. Newer shooters need to learn to run the gun well so they can focus on the tactics in later tactics classes.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Agreed, but experienced shooters take weapon manipulation for granted since they've been doing it for so long. Newer shooters need to learn to run the gun well so they can focus on the tactics in later tactics classes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:54:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I took a class of his a couple of years ago.  Travis was very attentive and personable, and I learned a ton.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I believe Haley Strategic offers their D3 Disruptive Environments courses for tactical training that moves beyond weapons manipulation, but I have not attended any of those courses so I might be wrong.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Took the D3 Disruptive Environments - Vehicles/Low Light in November '13 from Haley Strategic.

Admin duties were handled by the hosting Sheriffs Department so can't comment on the lack of response.

From an instruction standpoint it was very good. Travis was very approachable and focused on training, not playing fantasy band-camp. It was made clear from the get-go that we were there to train, not sniff his jock or pretend to be ninja seals. He and his assistant instructor did a good job of meeting the students at their level, whether snake eater or retard, and building from there.

The instruction was an interesting mix of fundamentals (shouldn't every class be?) and more advanced topics. His instruction style was serious and focused but not without humor. It was also NOT a "drill instructor" type. I attended a course like that once and did not care for it a bit. Paying for the privilege of being told you're a retard doesn't appeal to me. Serious and demanding instruction is quite a different matter.

It was only one class and three days but I would definitely take another class from Haley Strategic again.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was going to take a class a couple years ago but stopped when I read the waiver.  It was different from any other waiver I've signed.  They want you to sign that if you get hurt because of them deliberately knowingly doing something which is wrong, that you will not take legal action.  

That is a tremendous load of crap.
View Quote

Check your State Law, because in some States waivers are weaker than others in how they are applied by the courts.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#19]
What is his typical instructor to student ratio?

How many students at maximum are on the line shooting at a time?

What were the level of competence of his assistant instructors?

How well did your weapons manipulation improve as a result of the course (speed and economy of movement)?

How well did your accuracy improve, if at all?  

What is the percentage of lecture vs application like for the course?

What did his course offer you that less expensive courses have not?

Haley Strategic is VERY popular, but at twice the cost or more of local trainers I have to wonder whether that's justified beyond the star factor?  Perhaps it is? When you're talk about $1,000 for a course when you include the cost of ammunition that's a lot of money.  Does having completed courses under Haley Strategic give you any additional resume material as an instructor?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What is his typical instructor to student ratio? 11:1

How many students at maximum are on the line shooting at a time? 22

What were the level of competence of his assistant instructors? Brannon LeBouef of NOLATAC was the assistant instructor. Very high level of competence.

How well did your weapons manipulation improve as a result of the course (speed and economy of movement)? A lot of the weapons manipulations had been covered in a previous Magpul Dynamics class, but Travis made some fundamentals tweaks that proved extremely valuable.

How well did your accuracy improve, if at all? Not much having already attended several other carbine classes and regularly shooting 3-gun.

What is the percentage of lecture vs application like for the course? Zero classroom--all of the lecture is on the range and quickly followed by application. Probably one of the most shooting intensive courses out there.

What did his course offer you that less expensive courses have not? Explaining the why behind everything taught. Many instructors can teach you how they do something, but Travis does an excellent job of teaching why he does everything he teaches and why it works.

Haley Strategic is VERY popular, but at twice the cost or more of local trainers I have to wonder whether that's justified beyond the star factor?  Perhaps it is? When you're talk about $1,000 for a course when you include the cost of ammunition that's a lot of money.  Does having completed courses under Haley Strategic give you any additional resume material as an instructor?

When you add the cost of travel, time off work, and ammo, the class tuition is almost moot. Personally, I couldn't pass up the opportunity because it was practically in my backyard. The cost was $600 for 3 days, and $200 per training day is comparable if not lower than most other instructors. While I believe taking classes from many different instructors is important to picking up different techniques, I think dedicated instructor courses are more valuable. Personally, while his shooting techniques are a bit dated, Paul Howe's Rifle Instructor School at CSAT was probably the best how-to-be-an-instructor class that I have taken.  
View Quote

The above is my experience taking a Haley Strategic 3-day carbine class. I had already taken a class from him and Costa when they were at Magpul Dynamics a few years prior.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top