Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2017 8:49:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:08:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Bunch of guys worked overtime. Good for them.
Better than sitting at home collecting welfare
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:11:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:01:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Uh I'm looking at it from my kids perspective. Not that "I got mine". Simple math tells us that we will all be left holding the bag including the kids. People in government need to take responsibility for this over top bullshit . The welfare rats will always be there the only difference is these welfare rats make more. Not because of them but because our government enables .
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess I don't know what a corrections engineer is but I know for CO's they are so short handed most of it is covered by overtime. Blame the administrations not the employees.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Uh I'm looking at it from my kids perspective. Not that "I got mine". Simple math tells us that we will all be left holding the bag including the kids. People in government need to take responsibility for this over top bullshit . The welfare rats will always be there the only difference is these welfare rats make more. Not because of them but because our government enables .
View Quote
A person that goes to work at a civil service job and makes overtime is still a "welfare rat" in your opinion???  Pretty harsh attitude.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Uh I'm looking at it from my kids perspective. Not that "I got mine". Simple math tells us that we will all be left holding the bag including the kids. People in government need to take responsibility for this over top bullshit . The welfare rats will always be there the only difference is these welfare rats make more. Not because of them but because our government enables  We the People must bear some responsibility for this:  We voted in the representatives, and they hired the bureaucrats that negotiate contracts, provide HR, report back to Leadership what a good job they're doing et.al. and until something  happens, until then so long as everybody stays fat, dumb, and happy the money will continue to be argued about.
View Quote
My perception is Correction is its one of the shittiest jobs in Law Enforcement. Most in it are,or turn into assholes and it reflects back into their Families and personal lives more so than any other hazardous occupation.
Being "paid well" is subjective, making all the money you can earn by maximizing the opportunity set forth by State Law and Contract is smart, if you think its worth the time you trade as an individual to the needs of the system that trades you your time for their money.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

A person that goes to work at a civil service job and makes overtime is still a "welfare rat" in your opinion???  Pretty harsh attitude.
View Quote
You said civil service not me. I'm just saying the government enables the worker the government enables the welfare recipients. I shouldn't call them welfare rats I shouldn't call them anything. You call it overtime I call it blood money.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:35:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You said civil service not me. I'm just saying the government enables the worker the government enables the welfare recipients. I shouldn't call them welfare rats I shouldn't call them anything. You call it overtime I call it blood money.
View Quote
If you're so worried about what people are paid, maybe you should tell your elected representatives to properly staff agencies so that less OT is required.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you're so worried about what people are paid, maybe you should tell your elected representatives to properly staff agencies so that less OT is required.
View Quote
Its not what they are paid its the way the system is run. Are you for or against the taxpayer?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#10]
OP is just jelly
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Corrections in NYS is the most inept corrupted organization in the state.  They operate outside the law breaking rule and law with abandon.  Not surprisingly it's run by democrats with the real work done by conservatives.   Any honest employee that works overtime deserves kudos and free psych therapy.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey OP.

Any chance you are able to rescind your public pension?

Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:54:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Its not what they are paid its the way the system is run. Are you for or against the taxpayer?  
View Quote
What about how " the system is run" are you referring to?
There aren't enough workers, there are minimum staffing requirements and the only way to meet that requirement is OT.
Like I said, complain to your politicians
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What about how " the system is run" are you referring to?
There aren't enough workers, there are minimum staffing requirements and the only way to meet that requirement is OT.
Like I said, complain to your politicians
View Quote
You may want to look at the definition of a bureaucracy and get back to me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Which has nothing to do with meeting minimum staffing levels and the need for more hires if avoiding OT is your goal.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Which has nothing to do with meeting minimum staffing levels and the need for more hires if avoiding OT is your goal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But has everything to do with a bureaucracy

Lets add to the equation of bureaucracy
http://www.lohud.com/story/news/politics/politics-on-the-hudson/2017/08/04/westchester-long-island-tunnel-cuomo/104292586/
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Gives them the ability to say "We're doing more with less" while allowing all sorts of less than truthful claims.
They're getting the job done (arguably understaffed, and unsafely) with fewer Guards which deceivingly gives the illusion that they are saving money, doing a fine job. Perhaps it's better to pay overtime than hire enough to do the job....Budgets certainly aren't going down, (even though Departments scream and cry about having their Budgets misleadingly "cut" because when they don't receive as high of an increase as they want.
See we keep blaming those elected to represent us, Kings come and go, but the Bureaucrats they really  run things stay and so geos the status quo.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

But has everything to do with a bureaucracy

Lets add to the equation of bureaucracy
http://www.lohud.com/story/news/politics/politics-on-the-hudson/2017/08/04/westchester-long-island-tunnel-cuomo/104292586/
View Quote
A tunnel is somehow proof of bureaucracy?
Let me guess, if you'd have been around a century ago when they were connecting the various pieces of NYC with bridges and tunnels, you would have been complaining about that as well.
Everyone knows the Island is a nightmare to get on and off of right now.
A tunnel to give commuters another option is a good thing.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Gives them the ability to say "We're doing more with less" while allowing all sorts of less than truthful claims.
They're getting the job done (arguably understaffed, and unsafely) with fewer Guards which deceivingly gives the illusion that they are saving money, doing a fine job. Perhaps it's better to pay overtime than hire enough to do the job....Budgets certainly aren't going down, (even though Departments scream and cry about having their Budgets misleadingly "cut" because when they don't receive as high of an increase as they want.
See we keep blaming those elected to represent us, Kings come and go, but the Bureaucrats they really  run things stay and so geos the status quo.  
View Quote
The reality is that money and personnel are both tight.
Much more than GD is usually willing to admit.
I'm sure the bean counters think that running OT instead of hiring additional people saves money.
In the long run you burn your labor pool out of it wasn't deep to begin with, and since the average US LEA is still less than 25 officers, the available pool isn't deep for most of us.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:59:50 PM EDT
[#20]
The subject of that article is an operating engineer, not a CO. They ars the guys that provide the HVAC and maintain the systems that allow the facilties to operate. The city is critically understaffed in this department and they aren't hiring because OT is cheaper than additional benifits packages.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#21]
As mentioned in many occupations ( fire police corrections and similar) there are minimum manning requirements. In many agencies the bean counter have done the math ( I know one of those bean counters - not a bad person by any means!) and find it is cheaper to pay overtime to several people than hire additional staffing to meet the requirements. It doesn't seem like it makes sense but once put on paper and figured out it does. I could not be paid enough to work in a prison in any capacity. If the government wishes to continue manpower requirements but not hire additional staff, hard working people step up and work more ultimately getting paid more. I worked in emergency services for some time, and at some point you do t even want the money / overtime you just want a day off.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:45:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OP is just jelly
View All Quotes
Quoted:
OP is just jelly
This.
Someone's angry because they didn't make as much, didn't save/invest for retirement, and didn't move after retiring.

Quoted:
Retired state worker here as well

Quoted:
Fortunately for me I got lucky with a career which provided me a decent pension after 30 years so I'll be waiting as long as I can.
Posted well after he posted that he's retired.
Quoted:
Some of us work 6 or 7 days a week to make ends meet.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:55:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Oh shit guys we can't pay overtime you convicts can go home today but you have to come back in 24 hours!!!

Link Posted: 8/6/2017 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This.
Someone's angry because they didn't make as much, didn't save/invest for retirement, and didn't move after retiring.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP is just jelly
This.

Quoted:
Retired state worker here as well

Quoted:
Fortunately for me I got lucky with a career which provided me a decent pension after 30 years so I'll be waiting as long as I can.
Quoted:
Some of us work 6 or 7 days a week to make ends meet.
Oh for the love of god, please. Every time there is a discussion about taxpayer dollars being spent some wankers turn the topic into a fucking shit show. For some psychological reason people feel a need to defend whatever they are defending.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Oh for the love of god, please. Every time there is a discussion about taxpayer dollars being spent some wankers turn the topic into a fucking shit show. For some psychological reason people feel a need to defend whatever they are defending.
View Quote
But that's just it.  You never want to have a "discussion" about stuff like this.  

All you do is bash.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Corrections in NYS is the most inept corrupted organization in the state.  They operate outside the law breaking rule and law with abandon.  Not surprisingly it's run by democrats with the real work done by conservatives.   Any honest employee that works overtime deserves kudos and free psych therapy.
View Quote
Well, there goes their guns.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#27]
They should all be in the rubber gun squad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top