Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2017 6:10:07 PM EDT
coming up for a few weeks,  would like to rent anything but a Glock to shoot while there.  any ranges have a good assort?  I shoot sig 226/229  Beretta M9, and my CZ pistols regularly. I like SA/DA   I'm familiar with the Niagara gun range  and I'm pretty sure they still have a limited amount of handguns... any other places... thanks!
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't think you could shoot any handgun in NY without a NYS permit.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:30:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Tim, did you have a permit? If you did, did you save it?

Because I am pretty sure you are SOL without that...you know that you can't legally pick up a pistol in NY without the permit....

Technically before you get your permit, you, legally, are not allowed to go to a gun store and pick up a pistol to check it out...yet you HAVE to have a pistol to put on your permit when issued (or maybe its within 30 days of issue?)...

As I understood it, legally, you couldn't go to a range with a buddy, and try each others guns unless they were on you permit.

NYS sucks...

Your best bet is to call Mike, and head up to the shop...or hook up with Paul, and head up there...
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Technically before you get your permit, you, legally, are not allowed to go to a gun store and pick up a pistol to check it out...yet you HAVE to have a pistol to put on your permit when issued (or maybe its within 30 days of issue?)...
View Quote
This depends on the county that issues, some require a pistol at the time of issuance, others don't care if you ever add one. It took 6 months from when I got mine until I paid off my first pistol and added it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#4]
The Firing Pin in Bergen has rental guns but you need a valid NYS permit.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This depends on the county that issues, some require a pistol at the time of issuance, others don't care if you ever add one. It took 6 months from when I got mine until I paid off my first pistol and added it.
View Quote
When I got mine in 94 in Erie County, I had to have one to put on the Permit before it was issued, but according to the law, I legally could not technically handle them at a shop to decide what I wanted...pretty dumb, huh?

Luckily I went to a shop that didn't really care, and understood I had applied, and just wanted to make a good first choice.

I got an HK USP in .40 (only because the .45 hadn't been released by then!)....trust me, as a college kid it took me most of the 11 months of waiting to pay the thing off, but I wanted an HK....

ETA Still have it, its an awesome gun!
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

When I got mine in 94 in Erie County, I had to have one to put on the Permit before it was issued, but according to the law, I legally could not technically handle them at a shop to decide what I wanted...pretty dumb, huh?

Luckily I went to a shop that didn't really care, and understood I had applied, and just wanted to make a good first choice.

I got an HK USP in .40 (only because the .45 hadn't been released by then!)....trust me, as a college kid it took me most of the 11 months of waiting to pay the thing off, but I wanted an HK....

ETA Still have it, its an awesome gun!
View Quote
Monroe County is pretty chill about it. There's a place on the application if you want to list any guns, but it's not a requirement. After I got the phonecall from the cop doing the investigation I started looking at the shops around for what I wanted. One had just what I was looking for in stock. I explained the situation and they let me hold it so I knew it was a good fit, I thought it over and went back and left a deposit.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tim, did you have a permit? If you did, did you save it?

Because I am pretty sure you are SOL without that...you know that you can't legally pick up a pistol in NY without the permit....

As I understood it, legally, you couldn't go to a range with a buddy, and try each others guns unless they were on you permit.

NYS sucks...

Your best bet is to call Mike, and head up to the shop...or hook up with Paul, and head up there...
View Quote
Mike, I never had a permit ... it's a damn NYS pistol permit,  but my references were in Erie cnty and they wouldn't allow me to use them... I tried for the last 20 something years.. letters to the state, and the Niagara cnty Sheriff...so I guess for the two weeks I'm there I won't be shooting.  I'm so glad I moved...  a NYer can visit SC and rent shoot a handgun at just about any indoor range as long as they are 18, if they are 21  they can rent a FA to shoot...  
  I wouldn't even be coming back if it were not to see a good friend before he passes.  after this visit it is going to take an act of God to get me to ever enter NYS again...

I came to SC.. paid $60 for my 8 hour CWP class, they even did my fingerprinting right there, filled out paperwork and sent it along with a $50 USPS money order to S.L.E.D (State Law Enforcement Division) they did my background check and 77 days later I had my concealed weapons permit... so $110, 77 days....this is how it's supposed to be...  FUCK NYS and all the BS rules and regs that only hurt law abiding taxpayers...
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Mike, I never had a permit ... it's a damn NYS pistol permit,  but my references were in Erie cnty and they wouldn't allow me to use them... I tried for the last 20 something years.. letters to the state, and the Niagara cnty Sheriff...so I guess for the two weeks I'm there I won't be shooting.  I'm so glad I moved...  a NYer can visit SC and rent shoot a handgun at just about any indoor range as long as they are 18, if they are 21  they can rent a FA to shoot...  
  I wouldn't even be coming back if it were not to see a good friend before he passes.  after this visit it is going to take an act of God to get me to ever enter NYS again...

I came to SC.. paid $60 for my 8 hour CWP class, they even did my fingerprinting right there, filled out paperwork and sent it along with a $50 USPS money order to S.L.E.D (State Law Enforcement Division) they did my background check and 77 days later I had my concealed weapons permit... so $110, 77 days....this is how it's supposed to be...  FUCK NYS and all the BS rules and regs that only hurt law abiding taxpayers...
View Quote
Actually having escaped New York to Arizona last year what Arizona does is how it is supposed to be constitutional carry no permit required ! Get an Arizona permit when you get around to it though as it allows you to carry in places that serve alcohol, provides reciprocity with about 35 other states and eliminates a nics check when buying new guns. That is how it's done!
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 12:54:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah.  SC rocks.....  I can't get a non-res CCW there without proving I own property there.  

http://www.sled.sc.gov/documents/CWP/CWP%20Nonresident%20Property%20Tax%20Form%204-14.pdf

Yep. They rock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top