Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2017 9:20:31 AM EDT
I have a shiny new rifle and a shiny new scope.

I'm looking to see if anyone has a lapping/leveling kit I can borrow, or knows of a gunsmith in the Syracuse area who will do it.

Thanks all! Range day soon?
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I have everything here, but you'll have to make the 50 mile ride North to get it done.....price is right though.  

Actually, get ahold of me: we're down to UpState everyday and I might be able to drop the stuff off.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 11:35:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I ordered a lapping kit from Midway. Hoping I can level without a level
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Really its as easy as installing the scope leaving it just snug enough to be able to rotate and slide it. (after you've installed and ostensibly lapped the rings, which given the modern machining processes on factory drilled rifles isn't really necessary) turn the scope to "level" while you've securely shouldered it, this will also help you find the proper relief for YOUR use. up and down a few times, remember the scope will tend to rotate in the ring bore as you tighten so, alternately tighten a little on each side, checking the crosshairs frequently until they're pulled to 15 inch pounds. (25 inch pounds on the bases, and 65 inch pounds on the action screws while you're at it).
No rocket science, only taking your time to do it properly the first time.
Also: unless its a hard kicking rifle, generally I do not like "Loc-titing the screws until well after everything is set, adjusted and chjecked at the Range.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:01:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I use a small 1" line level(across the elev. knob) & a plumb line. Just make sure your rifle is level first & dont over-torque.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use a small 1" line level(across the elev. knob) & a plumb line. Just make sure your rifle is level first & dont over-torque.
View Quote
"Wheeler Engineering" make this two pack of levels with a magnetic base; about half the time I'll use them to do one especially if I don't like the cheek weld.
http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-6159032-11079827?sid=j4zwxdcskc00zk8a012b1&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sportsmansguide.com%2Fproduct%2Findex%2Fwheeler-level-level-level-scope-leveler%3Fa%3D193928%26pm2d%3DCSE-SPG-15-PLA-BING%26utm_medium%3DPLA%26utm_source%3DBing%26utm_campaign%3DCI
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:42:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Ordered the wheeler leveling kit as well - what kind of torque wrenches are you using? All I have is a 1/2" drive I use on my truck
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks.

Should be going on Saturday, then out to the range Sunday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top