Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2017 10:50:44 PM EDT
Legal or illegal to buy a long gun at a shop as a gift for a friend or relative?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Fed law says it is fine New York says unless transfer is to a first degree relative parent child sibling has to go through an ffl for transfer anyway
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:12:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fed law says it is fine New York says unless transfer is to a first degree relative parent child sibling has to go through an ffl for transfer anyway
View Quote
This

I've always thought it easier to buy the person a gift card or gift certificate for the exact amount and have the dealer hold it. That way there's no question about who bought it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:18:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm.... Conflicted. Post asks one question, poll asks another making answering either way wrong for at least one of the questions. Do you work for one of the major NY newspaper?

Question is "buying".
Buying is legal, assuming the gift isn't for a prohibited person.  It's the giving part where NY has the issue.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:19:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hmmm.... Conflicted. Post asks one question, poll asks another making answering either way wrong for at least one of the questions. Do you work for one of the major NY newspaper?

Question is "buying".
Buying is legal, assuming the gift isn't for a prohibited person.  It's the giving part where NY has the issue.
View Quote
Just trying to settle a bet between myself and a buddy.  I don't think it's legal in NY and he thinks the opposite.  

I explained how SAFE changed the way transfers happen, specifically individual sales now requiring a nics check but he still doesn't get it.

Maybe I'm wrong, can anyone point me to language regarding gift transfers in NY?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:00:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just trying to settle a bet between myself and a buddy.  I don't think it's legal in NY and he thinks the opposite.  

I explained how SAFE changed the way transfers happen, specifically individual sales now requiring a nics check but he still doesn't get it.

Maybe I'm wrong, can anyone point me to language regarding gift transfers in NY?
View Quote
As was said, it depends on the relationship of the involved parties
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:53:35 AM EDT
[#6]
You see this is where our "taking care of the Citizens" (while lining our pockets) Politicians have gotten us;
Post the Gun Control Act of 1968, under Federal Law (which can be increased, but not lessened by the States) an otherwise not prohibited person could buy a gun and dispose of it as seen fit ostensibly not violating additional Laws, now this is where those "doo-gooder" State politicians decided you couldn't be trusted and the illegal criminal use of firearms stems from criminals buying guns from good people commanded that every transfer outside the nuclear family require involve of the gubberment.

What this means: You buy a gun, pass the NICS check and it's yours.  You decide "I'm going to give/sell this to my (1)Father (2) best Buddy (3) Nephew (4) Son (5) a stranger"

(1) good to go: no check required
(2) NICS Check required in NYS
(3) <18 NICS by Parent/Guardian, >18 NICS on Nephew
(4) No NICS
(5) NICS Check unless that person has a Federal Firearms Licenses.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I cant believe anybody voted for anything other than "FUAC".
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I was under the impression that only FTF transfers between immediate family were still permitted: father, mother, sister and brother.  Everyone else, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. required FFL.  I may have missed an exception.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Do whatever.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:04:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was under the impression that only FTF transfers between immediate family were still permitted: father, mother, sister and brother.  Everyone else, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. required FFL.  I may have missed an exception.
View Quote
You have it right....not that I would ever condone it, I expect that there are a good many that ignore the requirements of the Law when transferring guns between themselves.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the responses. FUAC wins

So it looks like gifts are g2g for immediate family but everyone else needs to be nics checked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top