Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2017 10:50:33 PM EDT
So recently had to take a few trees down in the yard. Many of them were dead, and a few were growing into fences/power lines. Anyway, I will now have zero shade in the backyard, and I don't like that (not to mention lines of sight with the neighbors.

So I'm looking to plant some trees this spring/summer but to say I know nothing about them would be an understatement. As far as I know, the trees that were taken down were "original" to the house, as they were in pictures from after the war. So I have no idea the type.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what would grow well, preferably straight, and not give me too many issues with roots?

Appreciate any help.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#1]
White pines grow fast depending on what you want. Paging PENROD72, our resident tree expert
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:40:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
White pines grow fast depending on what you want. Paging PENROD72, our resident tree expert
View Quote

Fast is a lesser concern than the others. I don't mind waiting a few years, but don't mind if it's sooner.  Been looking at Maples as well, but still researching.

Hopefully @PENROD72 can help out thank you for the advice, I will look into the white pines as well.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Fast is a lesser concern than the others. I don't mind waiting a few years, but don't mind if it's sooner.  Been looking at Maples as well, but still researching.

Hopefully @PENROD72 can help out thank you for the advice, I will look into the white pines as well.
View Quote
Not sure where you are on Long Island.  Here in northern Nassau I have a nice white pine, red maple and Norway maple.  Neighbor has a beautiful huge oak tree but the acorns falling in the fall make a rattling noise when they hit is rain gutters.  Not sure how high you can safely go but Bartlett Pears are a good medium height tree.

If power lines are an issue you are not going to want to plant anything under them that will eventually grow into them.  Otherwise you will simply be kicking the can down the road to when the tree trimming crews will come around and lop the top off.  Also, do not plant red maples.  They are not native and make a mess in the spring time.  Norway or silver maples are much better.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Any pictures of what you have/had now?
Do you want hardwoods (leaves fall off) or softwoods (pines, etc.)
How many do you want to plant? 
Why are you planting them - shade, obstruct view, windbreak, color/ landscaping?

If softwoods, I like a mixture of something fastgrowing - white pine and Norway spruce, mixed with something slower like white spruce. That way when the Norways get too big and they need to be cut, the white spruce are still there providing a nice wind and visual break. The white spruce grow too slow to make a good break on their own. 
If you want hardwoods I would stay away from maples (tend to have above ground roots if thats what you mean about root issues). Need to know a little more about your soils and the site before making a recommendation. 
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why are you planting them - shade, obstruct view, windbreak, color/ landscaping?

If softwoods, I like a mixture of something fastgrowing - white pine and Norway spruce, mixed with something slower like white spruce. That way when the Norways get too big and they need to be cut, the white spruce are still there providing a nice wind and visual break. The white spruce grow too slow to make a good break on their own. 
If you want hardwoods I would stay away from maples (tend to have above ground roots if thats what you mean about root issues). Need to know a little more about your soils and the site before making a recommendation. 
View Quote

Noticed the shallow roots on the 50 foot maple that dropped in my Mom's yard from the storm. Almost had to call in your saw power - darn thing propped itself up on a greenhouse.

Good news is we have enough firewood for a few years
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Unfortunately only have old polaroids. I can try and get some up, but tech and I don't mix well.

Never knew the difference, but based on what you just said, hard wood (leaves > pines)

Probably about 4-5, depending on how many I need. Still have a few stumps I need to deal with, so that will be first.

In priority order, shade/obstruct view, color, windbreak.
View Quote

By root issues, I meant not having surface sitting roots. I don't have any concrete in the area I'm worried about, but prefer an even backyard.

I live in the Bethpage/Levittown/Hicksville area, so if that helps with soil content. Backyard is high sun (now) as the front is a southern exposure.

I believe I had sugar maples, judging by the pictures I've seen online of their leaves and comparing them to memory, combined with the roots near the surface.

Man I sure do appreciate the help. I owe you a consultation fee, or a beer. Whichever you guys all prefer.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Noticed the shallow roots on the 50 foot maple that dropped in my Mom's yard from the storm. Almost had to call in your saw power - darn thing propped itself up on a greenhouse.

Good news is we have enough firewood for a few years
View Quote

The existing trees were starting to get about 50-80' in my estimation. Had a few of the upper limbs let go during a few storms, so that was what sparked the Tree-pocolypse in my backyard.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:57:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Lombardy Poplars grow like a mofo
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Did you get rid of all the wood?
View Quote

Rotted stuff went with the tree company, some went to my wood pile, and the rest went to friends. Sorry.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:51:32 AM EDT
[#11]
The most beautiful tree on my property died this year.  A Japanese Red Maple.  Some sort of decline.  It was the tree the kids played in on the front yard.  Last year didn't get buds/leaf clusters.  This winter noticed all the bark splitting and flaking off.  DRT.

I agree with the Norway spruce idea - for a softwood they grow exceptionally fast.  We were growing them in Heiberg Forest near Syracuse on a very short rotation age (40 odd years) which is REALLY fast for lumber.  I also have to get rid of an entire row of Hemlocks.  Damn adelgid aphids finally took its toll on them - and those bugs blew in up here from Hurricane Gloria.  20 30 footers too.  Still don't know what I'm going to plant in their place.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The most beautiful tree on my property died this year.  A Japanese Red Maple.  Some sort of decline.  It was the tree the kids played in on the front yard.  Last year didn't get buds/leaf clusters.  This winter noticed all the bark splitting and flaking off.  DRT.
View Quote
There is a fungus or some such going around.  I gave a small Japanese Maple sapling to a neighbor.  It was growing fine for two years and suddenly went into decline.  An arborist took a look at it and pointed out weird tentacle like protrusions from the branches which were due to the infection.  The tree died completely a few months later and had to be removed.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 12:30:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I agree with the Norway spruce idea - for a softwood they grow exceptionally fast.  We were growing them in Heiberg Forest near Syracuse on a very short rotation age (40 odd years) which is REALLY fast for lumber.  I also have to get rid of an entire row of Hemlocks.  Damn adelgid aphids finally took its toll on them - and those bugs blew in up here from Hurricane Gloria.  20 30 footers too.  Still don't know what I'm going to plant in their place.
View Quote
Stumpy?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Stumpy?
View Quote

Yes Indeed.  1987
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top