Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2017 1:44:38 PM EDT
Anyone hear anything about a bill being considered to repeal the Safe Act? Supposedly there is a movement to repeal the law for upstate while leaving it intact for the NYC area.....Like to know if anyone has info on this
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Its not gonna happen, Downstate wont go for it and Il Duce will never sign it. Don't get your hopes up.  We can only hope and pray that Justice Ginsberg finally croaks sometime in the next 4 years so Trump can appoint a conservative judge to replace her and then we can maybe get relief in the courts
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm mixed on this. While I know it's never going to happen, I want gun rights for all, Downstate, NYC. However the selfish side of me says F NYC Downstate, free Upstate.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm on long Island so your fuck downstate idea can blow me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

X2.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#5]
First of all, I did not write it or make the suggestion!! All I did was ask if anyone else had heard anything about it. I'm "behind the lines" same as you....( in case you missed that ) I'm quite aware that until Schumer,Bloomberg and Cuomo are removed we are fucked so don't jump in my shit like I'm behind it.....
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Is there really any reason for anyone to start getting panties in a twist over a bill that has ZERO chance of becoming a law.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#7]
No, The whole safe act needs to be repealed or overturned . Hopefully NOLO can raise some hell when he's here...
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:00:42 PM EDT
[#8]
If we don't move out, eventually we'll all need Nolo's help.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:24:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
First of all, I did not write it or make the suggestion!! All I did was ask if anyone else had heard anything about it. I'm "behind the lines" same as you....( in case you missed that ) I'm quite aware that until Schumer,Bloomberg and Cuomo are removed we are fucked so don't jump in my shit like I'm behind it.....
View Quote

My comment wasn't aimed at you.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:15:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Blackcat504, New York, New York and Chiefbrodys comments were aimed at me. I certainly did not want to shitpost, wasn't my intention.
For the record  I want full repeal of the Safe act, no half measures. My hatred of primarily downstate pols and the fuckwits that keep voting them in gets the best of me sometimes. Not that all upstate is innocent.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Aside from the downstate (NYC) and several larger areas upstate, the majority of the state voted red according to the electoral map.But due to the concentration of the libs ( and other factions in those areas), the will of the people does not matter. Sad...Hopefully President Trump, the new AG along with the presidents son(s) will take notice and act accordingly. I imagine that it's going take having the right case in front of the US supreme court and having the safe act declared unconstitutional  before it changes.....
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Ah, if anyone hasn't noticed there is a revolution taking place throughout the country or maybe I should say people are trying to overthrow the government without firing a shot for now.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:38:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, it appears that way.But I'm not so sure it's the right ones that are trying... There seems to be an awful lot of well organized liberal/leftist garbage going on in public and behind the scenes. Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?"
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#15]
As people have pointed out we need Ginsburg to leave the SCOTUS or we need a Republican Governor...

It's possible, A few years ago I would have never guessed that Trump would be the president...anything can happen
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
x3
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
... or we need a Republican Governor...
View Quote
LOL

And then what?  We had a Republican Governor in Pataki and he gave us the 2000 state AWB.  No difference between the two in this state.  Even Skelos, who claimed to support gun rights, passed SAFE and then bragged about it in court to try and get leniency.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:40:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ah, if anyone hasn't noticed there is a revolution taking place throughout the country or maybe I should say people are trying to overthrow the government without firing a shot for now.
View Quote

We just overthrew 25 years of established government.   It's time to call NRA 2AF SCOPE NYSRPA and tell them to put everything into it and no more accommodation.  Full win in 2017 or we cease financial support.  If NY SAFE isn't destroyed by 2020 I quit voting and I quit contributing.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I already send as much financial support out of state as I can.  If I have the choice of which vendor to buy anything from, I will pick the one outside of NY.

Sure, it's going to hurt local businesses, but there's always collateral damage in war.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

One could make the argument, that you [downstaters] gave them the first inch, so they took the mile.. NYC is not NY... Our taxes are the some of the highest in the nation just to keep that little ISland from imploding... NYC will always have shitty gun laws, Always...
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:11:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Aside from the downstate (NYC) and several larger areas upstate, the majority of the state voted red according to the electoral map.But due to the concentration of the libs ( and other factions in those areas), the will of the people does not matter. Sad...Hopefully President Trump, the new AG along with the presidents son(s) will take notice and act accordingly. I imagine that it's going take having the right case in front of the US supreme court and having the safe act declared unconstitutional  before it changes.....
View Quote

Forget the presidential votes. Look at the support for the SAFE Act. Look at which reps supported it vs opposed it......upstate vs downstate. Look at the counties who passed resolutions against the SAFE Act (largely symbolic I know) and refused to allow their county seals to be used on SAFE Act paperwork from the state......upstate vs downstate. How many signs you see against the SAFE Act downstate vs upstate? How many downstate lawmakers do you see drafting bills, cosponsoring bills, voting for bills that repeal the SAFE Act or potions of the SAFE Act? Upstate vs downstate.......How much downstate support was there when the upstate republicans tried to tie rent control to defunding the SAFE Act?

Fuck downstate
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:01:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Forget the presidential votes. Look at the support for the SAFE Act. Look at which reps supported it vs opposed it......upstate vs downstate. Look at the counties who passed resolutions against the SAFE Act (largely symbolic I know) and refused to allow their county seals to be used on SAFE Act paperwork from the state......upstate vs downstate. How many signs you see against the SAFE Act downstate vs upstate? How many downstate lawmakers do you see drafting bills, cosponsoring bills, voting for bills that repeal the SAFE Act or potions of the SAFE Act? Upstate vs downstate.......How much downstate support was there when the upstate republicans tried to tie rent control to defunding the SAFE Act?

Fuck downstate
View Quote

Dude, don't start that "fuck down state" shit.  Upstate ain't so innocent either.  Splitting will never happen, we are in it together, like it or not.  Now you can complain like a little 5 year old girl, band together with the rest of us or leave.

We need solutions and we need groups doing the same thing the left wing groups are doing.  How about a few big protest in NYC, Albany, Rochester and other liberal strong holds.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:59:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Dude, don't start that "fuck down state" shit.  Upstate ain't so innocent either.  Splitting will never happen, we are in it together, like it or not.  Now you can complain like a little 5 year old girl, band together with the rest of us or leave.

We need solutions and we need groups doing the same thing the left wing groups are doing.  How about a few big protest in NYC, Albany, Rochester and other liberal strong holds.
View Quote

I think the point he is trying to make is its a numbers game... Unfortunately even if everyone in upstate that was pro gun moved to NYC, and tried to vote out the gun grabbers we would still be outnumbered 10-1.. There is zero hope for the city, liberalism is like a cancer, if untreated it spreads, and often the best option is to remove it before it kills the host. Please don't take my hate for downstate personally, but the sad reality is their is no hope for the city, but please don't shit on the hopes for the rest of the state..
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:42:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think the point he is trying to make is its a numbers game... Unfortunately even if everyone in upstate that was pro gun moved to NYC, and tried to vote out the gun grabbers we would still be outnumbered 10-1.. There is zero hope for the city, liberalism is like a cancer, if untreated it spreads, and often the best option is to remove it before it kills the host. Please don't take my hate for downstate personally, but the sad reality is their is no hope for the city, but please don't shit on the hopes for the rest of the state..
View Quote

This is exactly my point and the folks on our side become less and less as the days go by with people moving to free states. Soon it will only be the liberals left
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:22:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This is exactly my point and the folks on our side become less and less as the days go by with people moving to free states. Soon it will only be the liberals left
View Quote

What they don't understand, is if the safe act gets repealed up state, they stand a better chance of having it removed downstate... It will NEVER start with the city, or the state as a whole because it started in the city to begin with... Literally like a Jewish person trapped in germany telling a Jewish person in England to give up hope during WWII..
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:52:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

One could make the argument, that you [downstaters] gave them the first inch, so they took the mile.. NYC is not NY... Our taxes are the some of the highest in the nation just to keep that little ISland from imploding... NYC will always have shitty gun laws, Always...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live like 2 hours from the city. It's still super library here but not nearly as bad as far as gun laws. Don't lump in me and the others that live here aND disagree with progressive liberall policies. If we are completely outnumbered and the majority wins the decisions but we still stand for our rights but lose, don't lump us in with them. You're just finger pointing and blaming. You live in one of the most leftist states in the country. Don't blame "us" for that. I want the freedom as bad as you bruh.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:41:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Just saw a quick clip on local news about it.  It only mentioned repealing the part about not being able to transfer guns to relatives after a gun owner dies.

But it also mentioned "redefining the term 'assault weapon'".  Don't know the details.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:10:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Cuomo, who is essentially mentally disabled and unstable, would never sign a repeal of his glorious gun law.

He did it to HURT law abiding conservatives in NY, solely for political reasons. Period.

He knows it does nothing to stop crime or criminals or mass shootings...So we can argue that till we are blue in the face. He didn't pass the law to prevent mass shootings. He did it to hurt law abiding gun owners. Plain and simple.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Cuomo, who is essentially mentally disabled and unstable, would never sign a repeal of his glorious gun law.

He did it to HURT law abiding conservatives in NY, solely for political reasons. Period.

He knows it does nothing to stop crime or criminals or mass shootings...So we can argue that till we are blue in the face. He didn't pass the law to prevent mass shootings. He did it to hurt law abiding gun owners. Plain and simple.
View Quote

Spot on.  

Funny how when "conservative rights" ( which are constitutional rights for all in essence) are infringed upon, there is no outcry but when illegal alien immigrant criminals are treated as such for breaking the law, the world goes into a tail spin.  Double standard anyone??
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
x3
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
x3

Apparently Long Island has signed on, now.

Assemblyman Butler unveils bill that would repeal several portions of SAFE Act

I don't like it.  It will be claimed as a "compromise", when even a partial repeal maintains a pretty dramatic restriction of our 2A rights.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:26:56 AM EDT
[#33]
We need the courts/SCOTUS to help out with the following...

The AWB and registration needs to go, entirely. No reverting back to the 2 feature test either.
Mag restrictions need to go. At the very least, they can't ban mags we owned before the unSAFE act.
Online ammo ban needs to go.

Because there is no way in hell NY politicians will ever repeal any parts of the unSAFE act. Ever. Ever. Period.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
We need the courts/SCOTUS to help out with the following...

The AWB and registration needs to go, entirely. No reverting back to the 2 feature test either.
Online ammo ban needs to go.
View Quote
I doubt you will ever get rid of registration.  That has been upheld for at least 60 years with regards to handguns.  The issue in New York is you cannot legally purchase a new MSR and register it.  So I think the best you are going to be able to do as get the prohibition on purchasing new MSR's overturned but you will still have to register them. And I licensing could also be introduced too.

The online ammo ban may be tricky too.  SCOTUS has upheld bans on online cigarette purchases as well as on online wine/alcohol purchases.  The justices might have to reverse precedence in that case which they do not like doing.  They should carve out an exception under the Second Amendment but as always, good luck with that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#35]
I can drive an hour and buy government-free cigs.  Would be nice to do that with firearms, too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:28:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The online ammo ban may be tricky too.  SCOTUS has upheld bans on online cigarette purchases as well as on online wine/alcohol purchases.  The justices might have to reverse precedence in that case which they do not like doing.  They should carve out an exception under the Second Amendment but as always, good luck with that.
View Quote

Alcohol and tobacco are subject to excise taxes that vary by state.  Justification for the online ban is to prevent loss of tax revenue.  Ammo is not subject to state excise taxes.  Has the court ever upheld an interstate purchase ban of widgets that are legal in both states?
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:06:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Alcohol and tobacco are subject to excise taxes that vary by state.  Justification for the online ban is to prevent loss of tax revenue.  Ammo is not subject to state excise taxes.  Has the court ever upheld an interstate purchase ban of widgets that are legal in both states?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

SCOTUS rejected the tax issue and focused on the fact that the laws were protectionist in nature, banning interstate but allowing intrastate sales.  SCOTUS permitted bans provided they applied equally to inter and intra state sales.  The Second Circus used this line of reasoning to uphold the ammo ban since it prohibits all online sales.

Quoting one of a myriad of articles on the subject:
https://www.cnet.com/news/supreme-court-clears-way-for-online-wine-sales/

In a 5-4 ruling, the court said that Michigan and New York had enacted protectionist laws that unconstitutionally discriminated against wineries from other states.

Justice Anthony Kennedy said that the states' claims of possible lost taxes or shipments to minors could not justify taking such strong measures against direct shipping. "The states have not shown that tax evasion from out-of-state wineries poses such a unique threat that it justifies their discriminatory regimes," Kennedy wrote for the majority.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#38]
any one have a good place to shoot in or near greene county ? it about that time guys. lets put something together. I'm about 10 minutes from thruway exit 21.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I doubt you will ever get rid of registration.  That has been upheld for at least 60 years with regards to handguns.
View Quote
Try 106.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Reason cited for excluding the lower portion of the State are really pretty simple:  NYC disproportionally controls State (which is how the Sullivan Act was passed, and ostensibly un-SAFE too).
Democrats (again disproportionally higher in NYC ) cite questionable  Polls claiming overwhelming support for the Law.

Local legislators KNOW the Sheeple are terrified of guns:  (only criminals, Cops, and Soldiers in Uniform have them) so its a grandstanding gesture on their part to stand indignantly like they're the stalwart protector of their patrons in defense of Laws keeping the up=State heathens from having guns they don't need for Deeah hunt'n.

In the tit-for-tat Legislature there stands a chance of passage if NYC area is excluded in repealing the Act. (Sorry Long Island, but you're the suburbs of the City's inhabitants and therefor lumped into it) Passage of the repeal will be quid pro quo.... only thing you'll get for free out of NYC is fucked over.  

A simple enough solution to the demographic issue at hand would be the restrictions placed upon Handgun Licenses holders:  Anywhere a State issued Handgun Licenses isn't valid, the Act remains in effect.

Our Rights have been taken incrementally, and incrementally is the only Civil way they will return.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I live like 2 hours from the city. It's still super library here but not nearly as bad as far as gun laws. Don't lump in me and the others that live here aND disagree with progressive liberall policies. If we are completely outnumbered and the majority wins the decisions but we still stand for our rights but lose, don't lump us in with them. You're just finger pointing and blaming. You live in one of the most leftist states in the country. Don't blame "us" for that. I want the freedom as bad as you bruh.
View Quote
Oh I agree.. I won't lump any gun lover in with the commies.. my point was let's be realistic.. the city is lost and its like a cancer.. if we can push back and get the rest of the state free then we have a better chance of fighting the cancer.. but for folks downstate to piss on our hope is extremely counterproductive..
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:00:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Reason cited for excluding the lower portion of the State are really pretty simple:  NYC disproportionally controls State (which is how the Sullivan Act was passed, and ostensibly un-SAFE too).
Democrats (again disproportionally higher in NYC ) cite questionable  Polls claiming overwhelming support for the Law.

Local legislators KNOW the Sheeple are terrified of guns:

Our Rights have been taken incrementally, and incrementally is the only Civil way they will return.
View Quote
I much doubt any change will happen in a "civil" way unless by magic SCOTUS does something or, if the people of the US get lucky, an asteroid hits NYC.  Short of outright and blatant defiance everything will stay the same for north-easterners. Or get worse.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Its not gonna happen, Downstate wont go for it and Il Duce will never sign it. Don't get your hopes up.  We can only hope and pray that Justice Ginsberg finally croaks sometime in the next 4 years so Trump can appoint a conservative judge to replace her and then we can maybe get relief in the courts
View Quote
WTF!  Regulation is left to the States, that IDIOT Trump can't help you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top