Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2017 8:23:27 PM EDT
Hey all,

investigating moving and I was wondering if I could get some opinions from people that have been or currently live there. I'm from PA, and moved to Texas for work. But it's too damn hot and entirely too city here in DFW, and my hour commute to go 9 miles makes me miss the woods, nature, and lack of people. I'm wondering about the Seneca Falls area mostly, what you all think of it.

I have read up on the gun laws, and I think I could be OK with no high capacity stuff. We have a family farm about 4 hours south in PA so I could keep everything there, and go visit once in a while to play with it. I hear it's possible to get a carry permit up in that part of the state, and would like to if possible. Anybody have first hand experience?

I am seeing that property taxes seem to be high (like 2x what I pay currently) but the housing market is booming here, we've ridden it up a bit and could put a sizable chunk on either a lakefront home or a 50 acre farm.

I also believe there's state income tax, which I don't pay in Texas. What kind of hit should I be expecting?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#1]
The kind of hit that makes you bleed from your anus.

Seriously, over 1.5 million people have left this state in the last several years, and its not because of the snow.  The taxes are some of the worst in the country.  Jobs are disappearing.  The SAFE Act is about a whole lot more than just magazine capacity.

Don't do it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#2]
ridiculous property taxes, high state income taxes, bullshit laws.  if i could go back in time 12 years, i'd say "self, don't do it".   don't be me.
and to clarify -- "carry permit" means "permit to own/possess" in NY.  don't be thinking you can just do something crazy like bring your legally owned property with you.
re: SAFE and high-cap.. it's way more than just that.  do your research.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Read the stickies and the NRA-ILA site for firearms laws. They are significantly more stringent than Federal Standard, but we'd welcome another voter to help change that.

The Finger Lakes are gorgeous. Awesome wineries and breweries, amazing hiking, cool little towns with deep historical significance, and much public land for hunting. The waterfowl hunting and fishing on the Finger Lakes is just amazing.

Property taxes are super high compared to the rest of the US, but home prices are lower for comparable homes. Skaneateles Lake is the priciest of them all, Seneca is the largest and deepest.

I personally would pick Seneca or Otisco, depending on what you want to be nearest to. Feel free to PM me questions, I grew up in the area and currently live near Oneida Lake.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#4]
If you need to come north go to PA. Stay out of NY.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/escape-new-york-high-taxing-empire-state-loses-34-million-residents-10-years
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you NUTS !!!!

Move back to PA.. NYS will become Detroit at some point... I get the traffic in DFW area it sucks and your right it can be very hot not as bad as South west FLA like was at for 9 months. I'm now in Jacksonville NC.

I refuse to move back to NYS.. even though I still own a house in the Hudson Valley. I have vowed never to move back to Communist NY ever.

NYS is awesome state that liberals have killed. Don't waste your money or time in NYS.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#6]
The penguin just gave me back the ability to post in the NYSHTF after being banned for years.

OP save yourself do not come back to NYS. I live in the Catskill Mts and it is beautiful, tons of outdoor activities and in my area the taxes are not bad, but the passage of the SAFE ACT really hurt the gun fun for us. If you are coming back up north I would try to stay in PA.
You of course know PA = machine guns and all sorts of other NFA fun stuff

Aimless I love you again, but not in a gay way!
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:52:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Man, come on over to Dutchess for high taxes, and gas is $.25 more per gallon.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 2:24:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Why are you looking at NY over PA? Don't get me wrong, I'm born and raised in the finger lakes, still live here actually but if you could avoid it I would. The laws are ungodly here, income tax, sales tax, property tax etc and it's only getting worse.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#9]
95 acres, not lakeside but at the highest point in the watershed overlooking the lake and city from 10 miles (south end of Cayuga Lake), 15 year old 3800 sq'  house, 40' x 58' shop, woodshed, etc.... $347 K assessment, almost $10K in property taxes (school, town, county) with nothing but a $30K STAR property exemption.

The state income tax is like 6.5% to 7% for under a $100,000,000 without any deductions or any city tax added on that they have in some cities in NYS.

Do your research carefully!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#10]
ALSO there is NO tax on food or medicine (yet) like there is in some states. The gas tax is a few cents less than PA as of this year. No ad valorem tax like in some states on all titled possessions. We do have an annual registration for cars, trucks, boats, snowmobiles, motorcycles, trailers but most are based on weight not $$$ value. SUV might be $60.00 /year, pick up truck, $70.00, enclosed trailer $30.00, etc.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 8:27:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Double tap with additions
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Property taxes are super high compared to the rest of the US, but home prices are lower for comparable homes. Skaneateles Lake is the priciest of them all, Seneca is the largest and deepest.
View Quote
Spent the first 11 summers of my life on Skaneateles Lake at my grandmothers cottage.  It was sad that it had to be sold after she died but my fathers family wanted their share of the estate and my father and one uncle could not afford buy them out.  Funny thing is for what it sold for back then, assuming no change in price, I could now buy several LOL.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:13:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why are you looking at NY over PA? Don't get me wrong, I'm born and raised in the finger lakes, still live here actually but if you could avoid it I would. The laws are ungodly here, income tax, sales tax, property tax etc and it's only getting worse.
View Quote

I have a very specific job I'm looking for, and it's not offered in PA but it is in NY. Keeping what I do now, my options are limited. The job is also in the north end of the lakes, so commuting from PA isn't going to happen. But I can run back across the border with only a 4 hour drive if I need to.

We're taking a lot into consideration, but I could really trade my suburban little house on a tiny square of parched earth for a 50 acre farm, and even with taxes accounted for keep my payment the same. That has some serious appeal.

Are you allowed to shoot on your own land or not so much?
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#15]
You're going to have to leave all handguns outside the state for at least a year while you get your CCW/purchase/own/fuckYouNY license.  Long guns have to be neutered... here, read this bullshit:

http://document.li/ak48

The 7 round crap has been tossed, the rest still applies.  Though in the rural areas, not many fucks given, but it's still something they can tack on to, say, a speeding ticket if they see something.

So, if you have any AR's, AK's, or anything with a magazine and, well, anything useful, then you're either gonna keep it hidden, modify it, sell it, whatever. Your choice.

Vehicle registrations are 2 years, and actually cheaper than a lot of other states.  I guess that's the lube they use when you get fucked with all the other taxes.  Research by COUNTY if you're actually gonna move here.  Property taxes can vary a lot, especially if you're in a village, or in a town. 

We have an 1100sqft ranch, on .5 acres in a village, I think it's assessed at somewhere around $120k (Paid 77K for it in 2005), and our taxes are about $3000/yr. 

Usually shooting on your own property is fine if you're in the rural areas.  Plenty of gun clubs around too.  I'm a member of 3 of them.  Some are as cheap as $20 a year.  Oh, and Connie's Diner is great, too. 
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:52:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Finger Lakes region is gorgeous.  It's the politics that ruin life here.

When shopping for a home/ farm online, they usually post the taxes, so take a good look at that.   You might be able to afford it, but that's money being thrown away.   Oh, and almost every town tax acessor is grubbing for even more money, which means every couple years you have to waste time and money fighting a significant increase.

Gas is expensive.   Auto insurance is expensive.  In fact, most everything in NY is appreciably more expensive.   I'd say overall plan on your expenses to go up 20%.   Maybe more if you buy a vehicle or boat and have to add 8% tax to the price (plus annual $$ registration fee)

Sadly, I would not recommend moving TO NYS.   I'm moving OUT as soon as I can.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Moved last year ( was about 1&1/2 hours west of the finger lakes) and haven't looked back. Moving to NY for anything less than a half million bucks a year would be a no go for me. Even then I might not. The taxes safe act and numerous other factors like 6 months of brutal cold and snow make it a crazy move regardless.i would have said something similar even before the safe act.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#18]
What type of job ? I moved after much consideration to prescott Arizona which if you can find a job here that suits you, is what I consider the best place to go!
Being higher in the hills we do not get the oppressive heat of Phoenix ( which is what most people think of when you say Arizona but it is a very climate diverse state) average summer high is mid 90's with low humidity, a short winter with only a few snowfalls of just a few inches. Lots of places to shoot and copious outdoor recreation opportunities and little traffic. Also AZ has constitutional carry no permit required.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Left a year after unSafe passed and lived in Southern Cayuga county.  Look at the number of sunny days from November to March and see if that works for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top