Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2017 12:22:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:47:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Get your butt up here and I will fill you in!
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#2]
First I would have dumped the job before the guns most likely but glad you are back. If you already have an Ares that is about as close as you can get really. It boils
Down to two options really ( I am not up on AK'S so will only speak to AR'S)
1) featureless meaning it can not have a threaded barrel flash suppressor muzzle brake bayonet lug collapsible stock or pistol grip. Common options are the thordsen stock or spur grip
This allows you to retain the use of a detachable magazine
2)  non detachable magazine- a rifle with a magazine "permanently"(see details below) fixed in place. Can now have any or all the features mentioned in 1) but would now require the rear push pin be pulled out rifle broke open to load magazine , closed then shot and reopened each time for loading
Keep in mind the "legal" options listed in 1 do not have any written approval from any agency as to being legal. One of the many tough things about safe act is no one in authority will put in writing an approval of any method to make legal or neuter an AR. In 2) above there is debate ( again because of no formal approval offered by the state in writing) exactly what a permanently non detatchable mag is. Every one still left in New York is using best guess efforts in thinking the modifications they are applying are in fact legal.
Honestly if I had not left New York last year for a free state, I would have been down to just my m1 garands and not even bothered trying to figure out if my AR mods were in fact within the law or not. If you have the ares you are about as close as you can be anyway I would just run with that.most gun shops in New York will have "safe act compliant" rifles in stock for sale and the opinion is held by many that the shops would have been forced to stop selling them if they did not fall with in compliance but as with my comments above, no one really can say 100% for sure.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Long story short...No "scary looking features" anymore. If it's semi auto AND takes a detachable magazine, it can have NO muzzle device of ANY kind, no pistol grip, no bayonet lug, no adjustable stock etc.

Ironically, the gun looks just as "scary," if not scarier, now. Functions the same, and the ergonomics are almost identical to a pistol grip.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#4]
.....read the sticky
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Spur grip and patrick henry trigger guard.  No patent on the trigger guard that I could find, so... there may be cheaper options (<$25) on the market soon.

Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh, and as far as an AK, buy a Saiga, add the bullet guide to the trunion, and file the mag catch.

Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Functions the same, and the ergonomics are almost identical to a pistol grip.
View Quote

Function is NOT the same unless your fingers are way longer than average!  I can not manipulate the selector switch with a thordshit stock!  You must have your hand fully off the stock, or bring your forward hand back to go from safe to fire.

I bought three of them and wasted a ton of money!
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've been un involved in the hobby for several years after selling my collection out of concerns that it could jeopardize my employment.
I was at a meeting last night and a friend showed me a pic of an AK that he purchased in NY . I should have asked him questions or looked closer at the pic but I got distracted . He said it was legal to own in NYS.
I feel the urge to purchase an AR 15 and an AK 47 once again, is it possible and if so, how must they be configured to be considered legal in NYS.
I already bought an SCR and a Remington 700 so I'm not going thru withdrawal . Sure do miss having the aforementioned once again if it can be done legally
View Quote

Paul,

Where are you located?  If you are near Nassau, I can show you the thordshit stock.  I may be going to Nassau indoor tomorrow.

Bill
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:22:21 PM EDT
[#9]
God damn those things are hideous
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:46:41 PM EDT
[#10]
There is the Troy PAR which many hate because it's Troy or because it's a pump but people outside of occupied states buy them and like them.  I find it to be a fine rifle.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:07:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I personally like going the fixed mag route...yeah, it turns it into a top loader, and its a bit of a pain in the ass....but I say if the libs are scared because of the way it looks, make it as scary as possible.....

Darkstar made some nice fixed mag guns, at least when I still lived there....
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Function is NOT the same unless your fingers are way longer than average!  I can not manipulate the selector switch with a thordshit stock!  You must have your hand fully off the stock, or bring your forward hand back to go from safe to fire.

I bought three of them and wasted a ton of money!
View Quote

I love the Thordsen stock. The ONLY thing that is tough is moving the safety from fire TO safe...but moving it from safe to fire, which is more important, is easy. I have normal/small hands too.

Or just buy a BAD Ambi safety if you have trouble using the safety...
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I love the Thordsen stock. The ONLY thing that is tough is moving the safety from fire TO safe...but moving it from safe to fire, which is more important, is easy. I have normal/small hands too.

Or just buy a BAD Ambi safety if you have trouble using the safety...
View Quote

I will be adding the ambidextrous safety, but that will take some getting used to.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:26:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I will be adding the ambidextrous safety, but that will take some getting used to.
View Quote

Took me about two seconds to get used to the ambi release when I had mine (though, I wasn't someone who had gone through extensive training with a traditional selector, so I wasn't re-learning things.)  After that, it was very natural and easy.  If I remember correctly, I used the thumb to put it into 'FIRE' and the trigger finger to put it back into 'SAFE'.  On the left side, I had the 'Standard' (full-size) lever, and on the right side, I had the 'Hybrid' (full-length, but only full thickness at the top, so your trigger finger could rest comfortably against it) lever.

I did my own thing for a while:

Now, I'm running my straight-stock woody SCR (basically, my avatar, but I've gone from the 15" 2A SR to a 12" 2A BL.)  Definitely no pistol grip there.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:07:05 AM EDT
[#16]
If u want an AK get the Cadillac- Valmet M88 hunter.  Already NY compliant. And when the laws are deemed unconstitutional it won't plummet in value.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:18:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:35:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If u want an AK get the Cadillac- Valmet M88 hunter.  Already NY compliant. And when the laws are deemed unconstitutional it won't plummet in value.
View Quote

Are these still made?  

Also look at the Saiga 7,62.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top